Options

Covid Testing

So happy for all of you traveling now that will not be required to be tested to return to the States. On May 31, 2022 we were tested in Scotland for our return home. Tauck arranged the testing at our hotel. The two us were charged $437.84 to be tested. We did not know this ahead of time. I think this is outrageous! This was a very disappointing end to a wonderful trip. I think Tauck Tours should be ashamed.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022

Rax, which part did you not know ahead of time? That Tauck would arrange testing at your expense or the price? I have to admit that's a pretty high price tag.

• Options

I'm sure Tauck just passed through the cost without any markup. I agree that the cost is unreasonable.

• Options

I’m surprised the cost is so high in the UK. Are you absolute sure they weren’t ripping you off or put other peoples testing on your bill? Sorry, I don't know where the Scotland tour ends, was it in a remote area where someone would have had to travel to see you? Did everyone get tested at the same time as you?

• Options

It ends in Edinburgh. Sometimes Tauck arranged for someone to come to the hotel which results in a higher price but that seems exorbitant.

• Options

Yep, let’s fleece the rich Americans, they must be rich, they give us huge tips for anything we do for them, even when it’s our job to do it ….that’s what the Brits think of us, that’s what we thought until I went to live in the US and understood how it all works.

• Options

Must have been PCR tests...they can be over $150 in the states. But Antigen would have been sufficient. If it were me, I'd write a nice letter and ask for clarification...perhaps they will make a gesture of goodwill. They've been doing that often of late.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Ah yes, maybe they though you needed a PCR, that makes sense Nancy. I’d really be surprise if Tauck helped you out on this one as they make it quite clear the testing is on you.

• Options

So glad this cottage industry is ending. I was in Cairo on December 6, 2021. That’s the day the rules changed to needing a PCR test with 24 hours of one’s flight. I was charged 157.00 US for the test. In Cairo of all places. Tauck made the arrangement, the lab set the prices. Rax, Tauck made it convenient for all of us to be tested in one place without running around trying to comply to ever changing rules.

• Options

I guess we must have gotten a bargain on our Italy trip last month. Originally, we were told the antigen test would be €90 to €100 and the nurse would come to the hotel in Venice to administer it. Our tour director was able to source out another test with the Italian Red Cross about a 5 minute walk from our hotel to the office just off St. Marks Square. The cost was only €22 and we had the results within about 20 minutes.

• Options

John you did get a deal! I was in Venice last month and did pay 90 € for an antigen test. We were all just so happy to be able to go home!

• Options

Different country but a year ago it cost me about $ 200.00 to get a PCR test done in Mexico before returning home, it was a requirement before you were even allowed to board the plane to return home.

There was/is a BIG difference in the cost for antigen and PCR test. The antigen is/was MUCH cheaper.

So that cost for the test in the UK was not out of line in my opinion.

• Options
    milmil
    edited June 2022

My test @ Mena House in Egypt was $100 ea. - I paid here in US $187 each before departure.
    I just believe the locals ( in Scotland) took advantage of the situation.- I don't blame Tauck, I think the TD should have inquire the cost and either find another source or negotiate $$, before due date.