What to wear

Going September 18 2022 on the Rhine, Swiss Alps, Amsterdam River Cruise. How’s the weather? What should we wear when we go the the Top of the World Jungfraujoch?

Comments

• This was our first riverboat cruise with Tauck and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We also traveled in Sep/Oct and enjoyed the cooler, but certainly not cold, weather. You will need to wear layers as you make your way up to Jungfraujoch. The station where we had to change trains was very cold with light snow flurries. Unfortunately, we couldn't see anything once on top of the mountain since it was blanketed in snow and fog. Not too disappointing, however, since the train rides offered beautiful scenery once the weather cleared. A light sweater and light down-like jacket are all you need. Some folks were bundled up with hats, scarves and gloves, all of which really were not needed. Enjoy!

• Pateh949, it's kind of hard to predict the weather in the mountains - especially at that altitude - so I'd recommend being prepared for different conditions. We were there on the 5th of Sep last year as part of the Swiss Crown Jewels tour. It was a sunny day and a bit breezy up top. Most people had warm pants, a jacket, layers, etc. Most didn't have hats other than maybe ballcaps or hoods on their jacket. I did have gloves and a lightweight scarf around my neck.

As mentioned above, you take one train up and switch to a different one outside so it can get cold there. Up top you can go outside on a big sundeck for photos and also walk out onto the snow. The snow part was tricky because it was a bit slushy that day and a uphill climb to get from the door to the viewing area. I was glad I had waterproof boots on. Also you go into the ice palace for a tour around and into a private room for snacks and drinks. The floor is very slippery and it's cold in there. Imagine standing around in a walk in freezer for 20-30 minutes.

Given the time of year and where you're going, I'd focus on being able to adjust to different weather conditions. We did a Rhine tour in Oct years ago and had cooler and wetter weather than I expected. That river cruise almost no men wore jackets nor ladies dresses. Lots of warm dress pants and sweaters.

• Thank you very much - it was very helpful!

• edited July 2022

Pateh949,

Aside from Jungfraujoch and specific to your particular tour, I would recommend taking some lighter clothing for the lower elevations. Even in Amsterdam we found ourselves without the need for sweaters or jackets.

Although you did not mention dinner attire, I recommend dressing up a bit (I know that is a relative term these days) if you plan on adding pre/post tour days and enjoy fine dining. On the riverboat, and especially for the welcome and farewell dinners, wearing dressier attire is the time to do so if you are so inclined. This is certainly not a requirement, simply our preference.

Enjoy and please post a review if you can.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file