Amsterdam Restaurant Recommendations

We are on the Rhine Enchantment river cruise southbound in 4 weeks. We are getting in a day early and staying at the Hotel Sofitel Legend The Grand.

We are interested in getting any restaurant recommendations from those who have been here. We will most likely be jet lagged from a 9 hour time difference so something within walking distance of the hotel would be preferable. We are open for any type of food but traditional Dutch food would be a top choice.

Comments

• Don't have a specific restaurant rec, but suggest trying rijsttafel at an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel

• Had rijsttafel in Aruba 45 years ago. Aruba is or was a Dutch territory. Rijsttafel means rice table. It’s a bunch of small dishes served on a lazy Susan . BKMD thanks for reminding me of a long ago memory. By the way, it was very good.

• edited September 2022

On our trip last month we ate at “The Pantry” restaurant. It was quite good. You will need to make reservations.

• The Pantry is one of the restaurants that came up in my searching. According to Google Maps it is 1.4 km from the hotel or just short of a mile.

Sealord, did you folks walk there from the hotel or take a taxi etc.?

• edited September 2022

We took a taxi. If you know where you are going, you can walk it as fast as the taxi ride. The canals make the route a bit complicated, but you are less likely to get lost in a taxi. The ‘street’ the Pantry is on is a walking street, so the taxi can’t take you all the way, nor pick you up there. It’s a small place … we actually walked past it the first time and had to ask for directions. We were next door.

• Sealord thanks for the info.

Google maps makes the walk look pretty straightforward. Whether we will be up for that long a hike after 16 hours of travel time (including layover) and a 9 hr time difference remains to be seen. :D

• If you can get your iPhone to guide you, that works very well. We found the Anne Frank house that way when the directions we received would not have worked. But it’s going to be dark going to and from dinner. In Amsterdam pedestrians are potential road kill for autos and bicycles.

• I would recommend Mr. Porter in the W Hotel Amsterdam. It's a modern steak/chophouse with indoor and outdoor seating, interesting menu, and a good atmosphere. It's an 8 minute walk from your location and the hotel Tauck used to use for this itinerary.

• I couldn’t even tell you which restaurant we were in, never mind the food we ate, but it was small and lots of locals in there and very good. My husband would 👍 remind where it was, that’s all.😀

• Similar to The Pantry, the 'tZwaantje offers traditional Dutch food and is located in a wonderful location known as the Little Nine Streets...a great area to wander. I also concur with cathyandsteve regarding the Waldorf.

• Thanks to all who made recommendations. I will check these out.

• We, too, will explore these recommendations on our 2 nights prior to joining Yuletide Spirit this December. Also, unsurprisingly, staying at the Sofitel.

Thanks!

• I’m beginning a restaurant list—we’ll be on Rhine Enchantment (south by) in October 2023 with a couple of extra days in Amsterdam before the tour.

• It sure would be nice if Tauck would launch a new, more functional app that had this info, like the old version was supposed to include but never did. It would need to include standardized data (date of review, type cuisine, price, etc ``plus a short review

• edited September 2022

There are so many online resources for site seeing and restaurants, I’d rather them focus on keeping the website up to date, the ‘latest’ travel updates info are now out of date for months

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file