Options

Train to London

I am booked on Cruising the Seine with London and Paris. Question: is the train to Paris from London First Class ?

Comments

• Options

I'm not sure of the seat class. I think it was what Eurostar calls Standard Premier. I do remember we were served lunch at our seats even though the itinerary that day said lunch wasn't included. Only Standard Premier and Business Premier have meal service.

• Options
    edited October 2022

I just got our train tickets for a post-XMAS Mkts excursion on the DB from Dusseldorf to Hamburg. Who knew I had to wait until mid-Oct before the booking window opened up for our upcoming December date?!?!? (actually I did, but not before scratching my head and searching for that little bit of info for several weeks and finally learning about the major DB timetable change in December . ;) )

The only issue I had was that after booking, which included a choice of criteria-based or graphical seat selection, I wanted to double check our seat locations. My reservation showed the seat numbers, but, for the life of me, I could not find the seating diagram on the DB website for my train! Anyway, and the reason for this post, is I finally found them in a roundabout way on "The Man in Seat 61" website ( https://www.seat61.com/index.html ) That site, which I learned about from Terrilynn, has fantastic, detailed information about train travel for almost everywhere around the world. Check it out if you have an upcoming trip by train.

• Options

Alan, great tip!

• Options
    edited October 2022

I took this trip in April of this year and the seats were not in first class. Many long time Tauck travelers were not happy and complained as they have always traveled first class on trains. They also did not like the fact there was no lunch served and they were told at the last minute to grab a snack for the train ride before we boarded. The response from Tauck was that they could not seat us all together in first so they had to go with the standard seats.

• Options

Omg, send me to London and I’ll sit wherever you want me to on a train, they are better than US trains

• Options

The Man in Seat 61 is excellent. I used it to help figure out our upcoming ride from Madrid to Barcelona. Followed his recommendation to use Trainline to buy the tickets which was so easy and I'll use it next year in Scotland.

Re Eurostar, I had thought we would have to get our own lunch since that's what happened on our Paris to Lyon train ride for our Rhone cruise. The ride was a cluster F caused by the French train company. The group had to take two different trains an hour apart. Tauck had reserved the seats but the train company didn't print the tickets til the last minute. Computer crashed part way thru and when it came back online allowed others to book it shutting out the remaining Tauck reservations. When we did get aboard not everyone even had a seat. one couple sat in the bar car.

• Options

Thanks everyone

• Options
    edited October 2022

We just traveled on the Seine Cruise we were on the train on September 15th. I’m pretty sure it was first class my husband also said he thought that as well and we did receive lunch.

• Options

I've been perfectly happy on European trains for 40 years and enjoy mingling with the locals. I would never bother with First Class when on my own. And I'm always packing snacks and leftovers, so food is never an issue, would even welcome skipping an occasional Tauck meal. Grab some fruit and cheese at breakfast and you're good to go!

• Options

We did this cruise back to back with the England Scotland Wales land tour starting in Edinburgh. Rather than flying we opted for the train from London to Edinburgh - Virgin train line. Because it was Sat, First Class was only a little more than regular fare in part because there is only a snack meal service. More importantly we had more comfortable seats for the 4 1/2 hour ride. We really enjoyed the train ride with a view of the countryside and no dealing with airport security, lines, etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file