Options

Is Scotland different enough from Ireland?

Just got back from our Best of Ireland tour. Prior to the tour, we were planning on doing a Scotland tour next but now I’m wondering if Scotland is different enough from Ireland to justify going there? So, has anybody done both tours?

Comments

• Options

Well, I admit, I’ve never been to Ireland. But I can assure you it’s very different to Scotland.

• Options

I toured England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland in one tour. Each has their own merits, but I doubt, for me, I would do a tour only of Scotland.

• Options

I did The Best of Ireland Small Group with Tauck and Scotland with another provider, back to back tours, last year. I found them very different and each has its own unique charm. Definitely worth visiting Scotland.

• Options

I agree with voikk32. Do both!

• Options

I have spent 2-3 weeks in each country. They are different.

• Options

Ireland and Scotland are different, but are they different enough, with enough appeal to warrant two international airfare trips?

If you do it like voikk32 did then it makes the decision easier (only involved one airfare to/from the states), but that isn't an option for Katshot.

For me, the answer would be no, but only Katshot can answer that.

• Options

As the Brits would say, they're as different as chalk and cheese.

• Options

Scotland and Ireland are vastly different. Scotland is more mountainous, rugged, stark and brooding with gorgeous lochs, and windswept terrain. The culture and history are rich and defiant. The Scots are a proud and remarkably friendly people. The bagpipe music and spectacle of the military tattoo are a once in a lifetime spectacle that is most certainly worth an international flight. We did the 2 week Ireland tour and came home with “ that was nice”. We did 2 different Scotland tours ( the week and the cruise), as well as time on our own on the mainland and Hebrides, and will continue to go back. Scotland gets under your skin and leaves you wanting more. in our group of friends, we are certainly not the only ones who feel this way. Go.

• Options

I grew up in Cork, Ireland and have visited Scotland many times.   They are very different but both places have wonderful scenery  and friendly people if you can understand their accent.  Scotland is far more rugged than Ireland and has more mountains.  Ireland has only a handful of mountains and is not as breathtaking as Scotland.  Irish music is the best in my opinion and is far more entertaining to me than bagpipes.  The food in Ireland now is gourmet compared to when I grew up  there it was bland and rather tasteless.  If time is limited then Scotland will be absolutely wonderful, however, if you can visit both islands this would be my recommendation.

• Options

Certainly both are well worth a visit! MoP and Noreen, thanks for your insights. Both are easy even w/o a tour, though I remember my first Tom Stoppard play, I understood maybe every 10th word. I've taken the train from London to Glasgow and the even shorter ride from Dublin to Belfast. I've done Scotland-only trips since I prefer focused travel; once was for the BBC Good Food Show in Glasgow, a city I enjoy more than touristy Edinburgh. But then as you know I'm not a castle person.

• Options

I appreciate all the input. After talking to some people from Scotland, I gotta say they’re WAY harder to understand! I guess I was just assuming that Scotland was similar to Ireland and you know what they say about assuming…

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file