Options

Recommendations for pre- and post- activities for Adriatic Treasures: Croatia to Venice

My husband and I are going on this tour in September of 2023. We are arriving 2 days early in Dubrovnik and staying 2 days longer in Venice. We have never been to Dubrovnik but went on the Classic Italy Tauck tour and stayed two days longer in Venice. We went to the islands of Murano and Burano then.
What recommendations do you have for things we should in in Dubrovnik during the 2 days pre-that we have and in Venice for the 2 days post? TIA

Comments

• Options

I just went on this tour, I only arrived the day before but I suggest getting tickets to walk the Wall of Dubrovnik in Old Town where you can also find the Old Pharmacy Museum and the Dominican Monastery Museum plus churches and many shops and restaurants. Tauck does a tour of Old Town but it doesn't cover those sites, when I went they had a photography exhibition which was amazing so make sure you explore Old Town, it's very close to the hotel, there is also a Jewish Museum all in Old Town.

• Options

When Sephardic Jews were expelled from Spain, some went to Yugoslavia (now Croatia) and brought with them a Torah estimated to be from the thirteenth (13th) century. I do not know if it is still housed in the Synagogue that is attached to the museum referenced above. There was also a small shop on-site (perhaps now part of the museum) that sold Judaic items and jewelry.

I traveled there independently so can't offer anything on the tour itself. Enjoy the stunning beauty.

• Options

In Dubrovnik be sure to take the sky ride to the top of the hill and if you have time stop in the little restaurant and get an ice cream sundae as you enjoy the views.

In Venice go to the top of St Mark's Campanile. Outstanding views of Venice from the top.

And if you're just in a mood for a walk along the shoreline walk from St Mark's Square down and across Ponte dei Sette Martiri. It's a nice walk gives you some different vantage points.

Or in the other direction walk across the Ponte dell'Accademia and then down to the Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute.

• Options

Agree with gladysorlando about the Wall etc. in Dubrovnik. In Venice, we took a train ride to Verone (very easy) and were met by Valeria of Venona Tours for a walking taxi tour of this lovely city. Plenty of Roman history and Romeo and Juliet, too. We wanted to avoid the crowded shopping mania of Venice and also see a bit more of the country. In Venice, if you have time hop the 5 minute ferry to St.. George which is across the canal. The tower is small, with a small elevator, that affords a stunning view of St. Marks, the canals, and city. Best to go early. Then stroll along or hop the vaporetto to the Cipriani for a casual, pricey lunch at its canal side restaurant with priceless views. The Cipriani has a free shuttle back, too. This is a great tour!

• Options

Went on this trip last year and loved it. In Dubrovnik we walked the wall and enjoyed gelato at the the cafe which is referenced above. It's not an easy walk, but it is definitely doable ( We were 76, and 86) and worthwhile as long as you pace yourself, go early before the heat and the crowds and take water and hats (and of course, camera!) It easy to purchase tickets just inside the old town at the tourist office. The Old Synagogue is also well worth a visit and is inside Old Town. We also took a 1/2 day tour to Korkula Island and the town of Ston to see an old salt mine. There are wineries along the route which we would have toured if we had time. If you are in search of more Jewish history there is a tiny synagogue inside Old Town in Split, and we were fortunate to knock on the door (after hours) and get a private tour with the resident caretaker. Continuing on a Jewish theme, there is an historical novel, "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks, which romanticizes the true story of a Passover Haggadah written in Venice in the 13th-14h century, seized by the Catholics and finally saved and hidden from the Nazis by Islam clergy and just recently exhibited in a museum in one of the remnants of the Yugoslavian republic. Last, but not least there are 5 historical synagogues and museum in the Jewish Quarter of Venice that are in various states of renovation and definitely worth visiting. Even after ending our last year's tour with an extra day in Venice we are looking forward to this September when our Bellisima Italy tour with Tauck will end there also.

• Options

Thank you, sherry_schare, for the book reference. I shall look for it.

• Options

Tauck does the sky ride in Dubrovnik so no need in doing it on your own.

• Options

Another book for you** kfnknfzk** is the Ghost of Hannah Mendes, by Naomi Ragen which follows the story of a young Portuguese Jewish girl exiled during the Inquisition whose family history results in traveling all over Jewish Europe and visits the places you have mentioned. It's also an historical novel but based on the life of Donna Rossi who figured prominently in a Renaissance Banking family.

• Options

Other things to visit are the Serbian Orthodox churches. I felt that we got to know quite a bit about about the Eastern Orthodox religions while visiting the churches. They are so different from the Roman Catholic churches. There are churches in the old city of Dubrovnik, in Kotor and in Ljubljana.

After walking the walls in Dubrovnik, go to the fort of St. Lawrence which is included in the ticket for the walls. You get a really good view of the walled city from a different perspective.

• Options

"People of the Book" is one of my favorites! As is this "Adriatic Treasures" tour. I will add that when I took the tour in 2021, I had to pay cash for the tickets to walk the walls of Dubrovnik (and get a drink at the little stand half way around the wall), which I did before the tour started. And I recommend a restaurant called "Heritage of Dubrovnik" in the Old City. I had seen something about it on line and made a reservation for 5 people (for me and 2 couples that I had known would be on the tour), and then, as I met other people on the tour, increased the reservation to 6 and then 7 people. The person with whom I e-mailed could not have been more accommodating dealing with all of the changes, and all 7 of us enjoyed our meal.

• Options

sherry_schare - I read 'Ghost of Hannah Mendes' and loved it. Thanks for thinking of me!

• Options

Keep these wonderful tips coming …I’m going in September 2024!!

• Options

We did this tour in 2019 and really enjoyed the region. For a beautiful sunset at happy hour, try the Buza Bar which is located on the rocky cliffside just outside Dubrovnik’s walled town. And if you enjoy rustic cooking and roasted meats, google “Peka dining in Dubrovnik.” Peka dinners need to be ordered several hours in advance so have your concierge make a reservation and place your order. Peka dinners cook 3-4 hours under an iron dome and can be a variety of meats such as veal, lamb, octopus and potatoes. My husband and I ate at Konoba Dubrava and split one Peka dinner but still couldn’t finish all that was served. You will need to Uber or taxi as it is at the top of a winding hill.

• Options

I’ve been considering this tour for many years. Can anyone comment on the flight situation within the tour itself. Generally, flying is not my favorite pastime, and I try direct flights whenever possible. How much time is involved and does it take away from the tour. What type of plane is it etc. Thanks so much for any details.

• Options

There was only one flight on this tour, from Split to Zagreb. The flight was under an hour. The plane was a "real plane." I don't remember which make it was, but it was like a 737 -- seating was 3 and 3. I did have the worst time at the Croatian equivalent of TSA, though. The agent took forever going through my bag. Everyone else had cleared security by the time she found the offending object -- after taking everything out of my large pocketbook -- an emery board! (not a metal one -- the cardboard type). Fortunately, the tour director waited with me throughout the ordeal. I think we were the last people to board the plane.

• Options

MCD, thank you , that’s very helpful. Sorry about your experience. I can relate as I just returned from Italy to JFK. I was flagged by a customs agent who went through all of our 4 bags and shopping bags after being in Italy for a month. Unpleasant for sure.

• Options
    edited July 2023

We were on this trip last year and ditto only one short flight from split to Zagreb. Its a wonderful trip. We did not find the potted stews (pekka) particularly appealing but we loved all the fresh fish, including the grilled octopus. Walking the wall (on your own) is a must do early in the day when the weather is coolest. We took a side trip to Korkula island which included a stop in Ston, an old salt mining town and a few wineries. It was arranged by the concierge at our tour and customized for us so we could return in time for our welcome dinner. Since we had been to Venice before, we skipped the guided walk and went instead to the old Jewish section for a tour of the synagogues. It that interests you, there are also small hidden synagogues inside the old towns of Dubrovnik and in Split. We had an extra day in Venice so we took a vaporetto to Burano and to Murano. Its very easy and also very inexpensive to do it this way on your own time schedule. In September we are taking Tauck's Bellisima Italy which starts in Northern Italy and ends in Venice. During our last day in Venice we will try to find Leonardo Da Vinci museum which is a vaporetto and walk from St. Mark's. Any other suggestions for our Italian trip?

• Options

Some things I did in Dubrovnik before the tour began (in addition to walking the walls): a food and wine tour in the Old City and a 1/2 day boat trip that stopped (for about an hour) at an island with a beach, where I swam, and then went to a couple of islands where we could swim off the boat into caves. (The caves were shallow -- no bats!) The water was lovely! Both tours were booked on line in advance (Another person on the Tauck tour had booked the food and wine tour for us and I booked the water tour, probably on Viator/Trip Advisor). I don't remember what they were called.

• Options

Agree with others - Walking the Old Town wall in Dubrovnik a great two hour idea (just buy tix and walk yourself), and very near hotel. Check schedule for cruise ships, to make sure Old Town not overrun by visitors during your walk. Many small restaurants in Old Town.

• Options

MCD I had the same experience in that airport, they went through my carryon, took everything out looking for a metal object which ended up being the little box with my ear buds

• Options

update on wall walking suggestions: Its perfectly safe provided you don't get drunk at the Buza bar and lean over the cliff. An Australian couple fell of and was seriously injured after a night of drinking.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file