Options

Spain & Portugal Oct 12-26, 2023 - Weather Changes?

edited August 2023 in Spain and Portugal

Wondering if anyone else on this forum is going on this trip. Trying to figure out the weather in Spain, as it was unusually hot in 2022, but the normal weather pattern in Oct is cooler temps with possible rain. I always pack layers, but with weather changing everywhere, I'm having difficulty trying to pack lighter - an unrealized goal, but I keep trying! All I have found online is "normal" Oct weather forecasts, not updated ones based on latest models. Anyone have any insights? Thanks!

Comments

• Options

DEEC we are all in the same boat. I think you could still have warm weather. My personal experience (more limited than others) in Spain and Italy is that I have never felt like I overpacked for warmer clothes, and sometimes I wished I had brought more summery clothes. You are always going to bring a rain jacket anyway. An umbrella you can buy there if necessary. If you also need to buy a sweatshirt there or other clothing item, that is no big deal. Sometimes I put everything out that I MIGHT take, then check the weather at the last minute. But the weather predictions for Europe, in my limited experience, are never as accurate as they are for home.

• Options

You should experience cooler temperatures while you are there, but certainly not cool enough to warrant sweaters and heavy jackets, perhaps a light jacket if you plan to be out in the evening. My husband typically wears his suit jacket in the evening and I might wear a shawl. Southern Spain is warmer but, again, it will not be hot. Of course, we all have different tolerance levels of what constitute cold and hot. The best advice I can offer is to have a wardrobe that can be layered.

We typically travel throughout Spain in late Sep/Oct and I really can't remember experiencing a downpour; a light, passing shower could be possible. Try not to focus too much on the weather. Just enjoy yourself!

This tour ranks as our #1 European land tour. Have a great time and please try to write a review.

• Options

We did the Douro plus Lisbon and Portugal last year late Oct/Early Nov. We did get cool weather and some rain while up north on the Douro but for Lisbon, Madrid and Barcelona had mostly pleasant temps during the day. I had a single layer Eddie Bauer rain jacket and a light fleece jacket. I don't remember ever wanting to wear shorter pants but in southern Spain you might. Basically, pack a range of clothing choices. Worst case if you have to buy something prices are pretty reasonable in both countries.

• Options

I failed to mention something about Lisbon. Many streets are lined with small, limestone tiles in beautiful, and sometimes, dizzying patterns. When wet they become extremely slippery and treacherous. Just be mindful in the event you do get some rain or a passing shower.

• Options
    edited August 2023

Thank you all for your comments You have been very helpful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file