Options

Umbrella

Heading out next week. ATM weather.com is showing roughly 50% chance of rain each day. I have read elsewear, in Scotland travel groups, that an umbrella is futile due to typical winds. Our current plans are waterproof jackets. Me with a rain hat and DH will have a hood with baseball cap under.

Working hard to finish my packing. <3

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options

I returned from ESW a few weeks ago. It rained almost every day. It only rained heavily on one day and the rest of the time it was light and sporadic. Wind wasn't too bad. Certainly nothing like Patagonia. I carried an umbrella and rain jacket every day. Their weather forecasts are much less reliable than ours. I checked it daily, first thing in the morning. On days when it said 0-10% chance of rain, it still rained for of the time. There's a reason everything is so green!

Regarding umbrellas, I bought this several years ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0160HYB8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's compact and works well. One wind gust turned it inside out and it righted itself, as advertised!

• Options

I mostly find umbrellas awkward when trying to walk in crowded areas. Constantly worried I'll poke someone. A good hood I can pull up works better as long as I can adjust and secure it.

• Options

Take a compact umbrella. It doesn't take up much room and doesn't weigh much. If it isn't too windy, then it will keep you drier than a rainhat. If it's too windy, don't use it.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Thank you all. Sounds like if I am comfortable with the extra items in my luggage, I should go for it and decide what is useful on the fly.

Now to decide if I allocate room in my carry on or is it checked bag..........

• Options

Carry on -- in case your checked bag doesn't make it!

• Options

I’ve lived in Scotland. The rain there is generally of the drizzle type. It might not rain at all or be windy. Certainly, Glasgow and Edinburgh don’t get a big annual rainfall. We always take umbrellas on tour but generally wear a light raincoat on Tauck tours because in a group, it’s safe and less annoying than huddling in a group with someone who is not careful with an umbrella….I m not sure which is more lethal, an umbrella or someone with a walking stick who decides to point with it in their hand just as you are passing by, or trail it behind them so you trip up. Both happened to us. No, no wait…the worst umbrella encounter was a woman on safari who had a bright red umbrella that she put up in a Safari vehicle to keep the sun off her, blocking the view of people behind her! Had that too.
    I bought my last fold up raincoat in Edinburgh, a nice colorful one so my husband could spot me, and it was on sale! My raincoat and umbrella go in my carry on.

• Options

BKMD, I disagree about British weather forecasts, I think they are more reliable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file