Options

Question about engine noise

I'm looking at The Blue Danube cruise in May 2024. The only available Category 2 stateroom is 229, Ruby Deck on either Ms. Joy or Ms. Savor. In looking at the boat layout, the proximity to the engines raises a question. Has anyone had an issue or heard of an issue with engine noise in these staterooms? Thanks.

Comments

• Options

We've never stayed in those cabins mainly because other than Arthur's bistro the cabins are furthest from everything else on the ship. The few Who have spoken about the cabins here said the noise wasn't an issue. Ship noise is mainly an issue if it's cruising overnight while you sleep and even that isn't much except when they are going thru locks. In that case any cabin could be subject to noise from the side thrusters and banging into the sides of the lock. Some people sleep thru like a baby and others have a restless night.

• Options

I always travel on Tauck‘s riverboats with earplugs. I highly recommend Laser Light from Howard Leight. They have a NRR rating of 32 and Amazon sells them. Yes, as stated by Claudia, there could be noise while going through the locks.

• Options
    edited September 2023

We always stay either in the lowest Cat 1 rooms OR the LOFT rooms. The boat isn't that big, so don't worry about not being close to everything, it's a quick walk down the hall to anywhere. We ALWAYS travel with a mini noise maker, or we use one of the white noise apps on our phone - so we've never really heard any engine noises - we did occasionally hear mild/slight noises in the LOCKs, but no big deal. I'd imagine others in higher category rooms also can tell when the boat is in a lock.

• Options

We also love the Loft rooms on that same deck. We haven't experienced any noise issues that we haven't heard on other decks. (we have tried all categories of rooms and still choose the lofts when available)

• Options
    edited September 2023

If you are bothered by noise / sound on the Inspire class boats (Inspire, Joy, Grace, Savor) you (a) are way too sensitive to sound, (b) don't sleep well in the first place or (c) didn't have enough to drink! :D:D

Seriously, there really isn't any noticeable noise unless you are carefully listening for it. Since we usually get Cat 3 cabins which are partially underwater, I can generally feel vibrations from changes in engine speed of the main and maneuvering drive propellers when the boats maneuver for docking, to transit locks, etc., but don't actually hear engine noise as such. In fact, I can feel the vibrations and sounds from other vessels as they pass by more than I do sounds coming from our own boat (sound travels well and far through the water.)

And, as I have always said, unless you really want or need the space and are willing to spend the money on a Cat 6 or 7, the best bang for the buck on Inspire class boats is the Cat 3 loft cabin!

For nautical geeks, most Scylla boats use Veth Z drive units (or similar) for propulsion and maneuvering, so do not have a traditional large engine room with boilers, propeller shaft, etc. like large ocean-going cruise ships. https://twindisc.com/product-category/on-water/veth-propulsion/miscellaneous/veth-integrated-l-drive/

• Options

We have booked a loft cabin for October 2024 - the rooms look great. I like AlanS suggestion, and will invest in a touch of bourbon before sleeping !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file