Options

Tanzania visas

We have applied for all nine visas for our family in the last few days. We have been to Tanzania three times in the past, but back then there was no Evisa option.
Tauck recommends you do not apply for the visas until 90 days before. But it is allowed. When you apply, the visa is good for one full year from the date you enter Tanzania, not the date you apply. Tauck’s reasoning is that most people don’t apply until they have paid the full amount of the tour, which these days is 60 days. They say rules may change. And of course you or they could cancel and you will have lost your visa applications money. This is not covered by insurance.
When we called Tauck initially a few weeks ago, we pointed out that the hotel on the information for visas on their page was incorrect, it was a hotel they haven’t used for a few years. They also mention two countries, it was referring to the K and T tour, both very out of date. We told them, and they changed the page after a few days.
After much thought, we decided to apply early since we will be away a couple of times during the ninety day timeline and very busy in between. Although it will cost us $850 for all the visas, we decided to risk it. This would cause less anxiety than not having visas.
When we started the first visa, there were a couple of questions. The first was that the Tanzanian government has different initials for JRO airport, it is KIA
My hiusband called the Tauck special number for Journey preparation, tow people gave two different answers to his question, I can’t recall what it was now, maybe it was the ‘host’….we put Kearsley, one of them wanted us to put the first hotel.
Anyway, so far, two of the first four visas came back in less than 24 hours, three more today, we applied for another yesterday and just completed the final three applications.
Our daughter has a British passport, so we had to apply for Single Entry, and it was $50 as opposed to the multi entry $100 cost for Americans.
Hoping all arrive with correct dates etc.

Comments

• Options

There is not necessarily one correct answer about how to fill out these evisa forms. I noticed that under the ‘host’ question, “self’ was an option. So I chose “self”, and that simplified the process. I got the evisas very quickly.

• Options

British on airport codes: Most airports have at least three ‘codes’ … IATA, ICAO, and airline. Many people wonder why for example that Chicago, O’Hare is “ORD”. It stands for “Orchard”, the origianal little airfield that became O’Hare. Why is Orlando “MCO” … it was orignally McCoy Air Force Base. Why is Bermuda “XKF” … I have no idea. They ran out of BDA options. Many big airports were once military airfields, and that is where the ‘identifier’ came from. Most people flying to Iceland think they are flying to Reykjavik. They have a runway there but much too small for big jets. You will fly to Keflavik, which was once a U.S. Navy base, and it is about thirty miles from Reykjavik.

• Options
    edited March 28

Same as SFO. Sam Francisco Airport is not technically in San Francisco. It’s in San Bruno.

• Options

Anyone have issues getting payment accepted for a Tanzania visa application? I did mine on Monday 3/25 and got the visa two days later. Tried to do my wife's yesterday using the card accepted for mine. Hers was rejected by the Tanzania Government pay portal not our American bank. Tried a different card, same issue. Anyone have similar issues?

• Options

No issues on our nine, used the same card for all nine.

• Options
    edited March 28

I had one payment rejected, but it was the credit card company. I confirmed the payment was valid and it went through. I think you should just use a different credit card.

• Options

@British : just did out 4 visas. I think I screwed up mine as I didn't catch the City (as place of birth) on the opening page needing to match your passport - which doesn't have a city listed. It was only on the second one that I caught that so I think mine may be rejected.

@rwilso15 : after my second visa - I got a text from by CC for fraud check. I confirmed the charge and all seemed fine. I checked and the application was processed. But then I got to the 3rd app and I could get the card to go through. Mastercard would even pull up a site and say that need to confirm my identity via text or email. I would get the text code and enter it and I'd be verified and yet it still would be declined. So... I had my wife log into the visa site on her computer and she used her card and no issues! Did the 4th and didn't even bother with my computer/card and it cleared on hers again no issue.

Well here's to waiting for the Visas and seeing if mine gets kicked back. I'm 99% sure it will. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Options

I hope you don’t get rejected because you will have lost your money as I understood it.

• Options
    edited April 11

Oh, I know. It's a blow of $100 but if it was my mistake it was my mistake and I'll own it. I double and triple checked everything...but I didn't catch that until I was on the next application. I felt like it was deliberately confusing at times. I'll keep you posted.