Options

Paris local tour guide suggestion - French Escapade

We are on the French Escapade May 19 and will be arriving in Paris a few days earlier. We've never booked a local tour guide before, preferring to wander about on our own. However, this time we are thinking a local tour guide might add some interesting things to do (eg, side trip to Giverny). Any suggestions?

If not a tour guide, any suggestions for things we should definitely consider doing? (No need to mention Eiffel Tower, Louvre or Notre Dame.)

Comments

• Options

Sainte Chapelle, just across from Notre Dame. Get your tickets on iine in advance. They have their own website. You can also get tickets through tour providers. Just google it.

• Options

This may not be what you’re interested in, but it’s another option. We did some Rick Steves walking tours in Rome when we had free time. They’re really good and you can do them at your own pace, in your own time. Pause when you want to stop for meals, drinks, shopping, etc. press play when you’re ready to continue. You and your travel partners just need a smartphone and headphones, you can fully download the audio tours when on WiFi then they’re ready when you are. Just a thought.
    https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/paris

• Options
    edited April 9

We’ve used Tours by Locals in Paris and elsewhere. The guides are always great. We did the Escapade last year; if you’re staying at the Intercontinental Hotel, be sure to do the self guided audio tour of the Palais Garnier opera house right next door.

• Options

I suggest using google and asking the’Top Ten things to see and Do in Paris’ or similar like Best museums in Paris or looking at the popular tour books on line like Frommers, Lonely Planet, Fodors. You know what attracts you and you can make some plans that way. You can figure out how far they are from your hotel and if it’s advised to buy tickets In advance, or if there are special touring exhibitions in museums and of course opening times. And yes, walking tours like Rick Steve’s ones are also good. The guide books also have suggested walks. Some suggest itineraries for the number of days you are there. So,e will tell you the average time it takes to go around a place like a museum.

• Options
    edited April 10

Exploring Montmartre, Paris' highest point, is a lovely excursion and offers panoramic views of the city.

Marais, the Jewish quarter, is well worth the visit (excluding the Sabbath, Saturday).

Musée Rodin.

The hotel concierge can assist with arrangements. If you do plan on Montmartre, consider taking the little train/tram to traverse the hill.

• Options

We also booked a Montmarte walking/food tour through Viator. There are MANY well-rated excursions on Viator/TripAdvisor.

• Options

I also recommend Sainte Chapelle, it's quite beautiful and worth a visit. Buy tickets on line.

• Options

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Options
    edited April 11

We (and others on this forum) booked Flora Goldberg of Jewish Walking tours of Paris https://jewish-paris-tours.com/ She runs both Jewish tours and general customized tours of Paris. We had a free afternoon and were able to fit in a visit to St Chapelle, the Conciergerie, and about two and a half hours at the Louvre (our Normandy Brittany tour didn't include an after-hours visit to the Louvre.) Working with a guide allowed us to maximize what we could see in a limited amount of time- that was especially important at the crowded Louvre. Unless you have been to Paris several times, I would strongly recommend a private guide. Getting tickets as early as possible is also important. Don't rely on getting them upon arrival or from the concierge.

• Options
    edited April 11

Go to Giverny! It was so great! We missed the train, and, rather than wait for the next one, we Ubered. It was $175 each way for 4 people, but our time was more valuable!

• Options

How about reading this, the best places for cheese in Paris.
    If you go to any of these places, pleases report back!

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20240328-an-experts-guide-to-the-finding-the-best-cheese-in-paris

• Options

I didn't open the above link so I don't know if the following is on the list:

Barthélémy is located in the seventh arrondissement close to Musée d' Orsay. I made a special trip there after learning that it is a favorite of Ina Garten (my favorite food channel show and chef). Try the mimolette if you want something different.

• Options

A previous commenter mentioned Sainte Chapelle. After finishing the Tauck Savoring France river cruise in Lyon in 2022, we took the train back to Paris and spent several days. We visited Sainte Chapelle twice: once during the day to see the windows, and again at night for a musical recital. I am not particularly religious but that chapel is so beautiful that visiting was one of the highlights of that trip and of my whole life. Exquisite and easy to book and visit on your own.

Another highlight of that visit was a dinner cruise on the Seine, timed to pass by the Eiffel Tower as it was illuminated with sparkling lights. Food and wine were more than adequate, and the trip was very enjoyable. We chose a cruise boat that is old and a little funky, (like us) Le Calife. it docks just a short walk from the hotel where we stayed.

• Options

I heartily second seeing Saint Chappelle and having dinner on Le Calife. Both experiences left wonderful lifetime memories.

• Options

SandyFeet - Would you consider the meal on Le Calife to be a fine dining experience? Some of the menus seem quite nice.

• Options

kfnknfzk--Regarding the food aboard Le Calife, I went with low expectations because they were preparing the meals aboard an old boat in a galley that is probably cramped, and the proprietors know that they are not likely to see the customers ever again. Instead, the food was very good. Everyone judges food on their own scale. If I had that meal at a restaurant at home in California, I'd recommend the restaurant to my friends. Was it the best dinner we had in Paris? No, but I really couldn't fault the quality of the food, the preparation, the service, or the wine. Certainly at least as good as I've had aboard Scylla or Ponant ships with Tauck, and good enough that I am comfortable recommending the cruise to my fellow Tauck travelers. I hope this helps.

• Options

One more thing... previous photos taken from inside the dining area, but you could go up top for unobstructed photos.

• Options

kfnknfzk, I agree with Rick. We were renting an apartment in Paris, and the landlady recommended Le Calife. Our meal was delicious, and the lights of Paris were amazing. Le Calife is a much more authentic and less touristy experience than many of the other ships that cruise the Seine with dinner service. I took the same picture as Rick, but his camera is obviously much better. I just use my iPhone.

• Options

SandyFeet - I, too, was concerned that it would be a tourist trap until I saw the menus, which are very reasonably priced in my opinion. Thanks for your reply. And your cell phone photo is just fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file