Options

Namibia, Starts April 23rd

Hello everyone...
I kindly would like to ask, those who are going on the tours before August if they can give us their impressions of this new tour, please.
Itinerary, Camps, schedules, any chance for extra activities, perhaps an air ballon ride?
Etosha? Animal viewing? etc...

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Options

mil my tour starts July 30Th! Can't wait. Happy to give my impressions!
    Cheers!

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 14

I'm waiting :)
    Stellie Hi, I'm curious witch tour did you book with Sandwaves full or 1/2 day?
    I cannot wait either! this time the wait it' going by too sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. :)

• Options

Mil I booked 1/2 day at 12:00 after kayaking at Walvis Bay. I'll skip the Tauck barbecue! So excited to experience Africa for the FIRST time! (Doing Elegant Adventure first)

• Options

Stellie, this is your 1st trip to Africa, OMG!!!! you'll love it. Africa it's very addicting, just saying....:) I'm on my 6!. Counting Morocco and Egypt.

• Options

Mom and I heading to Namibia in June and excited. Did 4 other Africa tours with Tauck and I know they will do such a great job here too. Anxious for any comments from trips starting this month. We are getting in day early to Windhoek and curious what to do. Happy travels to the first groups on this tour!

• Options

I highly recommend the Independence Museum, see my photo. You can also view the Parliament building and main church nearby.

• Options

I normally do not care for modern architecture but that building is stunning.

• Options

You might find it interesting that the Germans first started the idea of concentration camps from their treatment of Namibians when they ruled the country. That is supposedly to be where Hitler got the idea of using concentration camps to dispose of the Jews. Just shocking.

• Options

• Options

The Traveler, I have had good luck booking a half day city tour of Windhoek with Tours By Locals. They only have 2 guides so they might be already booked for June. Alternatively, you could contact the concierge at the start hotel. Good luck and happy travels!

• Options

There really isn’t that much to see in Windhoek. You can dive by the parliament building and church. The above museum is worth a visiting but you could get a taxi and go straight to it and ask the taxi to drive by the other sites.

• Options

British, our tour includes a visit with the Herero and also a stop at a women’s cooperative. We were advised that there would be no photography at our Herero visit, and I like that. Too many Ugly Americans with cameras can ruin any experience.

• Options
    edited April 16

Where we visited the people, photographs were encouraged. We were encouraged to join In dancing too. We presented food like cooking oil, they gave us a list before we went. On our last visits to Namibia, it was the same, we went to an orphanage run by an Herero woman and she cooked us a meal.
    To be clear, I always ask before I take a photo. I think it depends on your person skills. And I don’t think I’m that ugly!

• Options
    edited April 16

These women were happy to have their photos taken

• Options

They do look happy; great shot, British!

• Options

British - Were these women dressed for any occasion? Perhaps to meet the tour group and pose for pictures? It looks like they are clapping, which is often the case when a tour group has an arranged meeting with people of a village.

I like that the first woman has tennis shoes on. You can't tell for sure about the other three, but they likely do as well.

• Options

The clapping was for the dancers. Those are their everyday clothes.

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 24

Latest from TAUCK!!! I just called-

Namibia passengers will be able to take ONLY! 1 duffel bag- The big ones- Eagle Creek ones- and the weight is limited to 44pounds.
    in addition, you may take a carryon and also a small backpack.
    NOTHING ELSE! - no undies! ;)