Options

Dress for the Outdoor Excursions?

We're booked on the July 6 cruise, and have been wondering what to pack for the many excursions that focus on visits to outdoor sites. It looks like highs in the mid-50's F. with breezes can be expected, so we have planned on taking wind/water proof jackets with added under layers. Do people wear jeans on these excursions, or would that feel out of place? Rain pants?

Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Options

Terry - Yes, people wear jeans. Here's a picture from one of the excursions and you can see three different gentlemen wearing jeans.

I wore LL Bean hiking pants. See picture. Layering is important. One day the temperatures got to about 70 and so no outer jacket was required. Several of the days the jackets were appreciated.

If you get heavy rain, then rain pants would be appropriate as well.

• Options

Thanks, Sam. That's helpful.

Your photo on Grimsey reminds me of another question. Did you have time to hike out to the ball on the Artic Circle? That intrigues me, but I've not found any details on the stop there.

• Options

It was the coldest summer for yers when we were there but at least no volcanic activity

• Options

Terry, yes there was time to hike out to the ball, but you didn't have time to just mosey around. It was more like a mission walk.

This is all a function of how much time you get on Grimsey Island. The tour before ours didn't actually get to go ashore on Grimsey island because of rough seas (the tender boats couldn't be used). As a replacement for going ashore and walking across the Arctic Circle we were told that they sailed the boat farther north so the passengers could say they crossed the Arctic Circle, just on the boat as opposed to on land.

• Options

Thanks, Sam.

The port schedule says the ship is supposed to be there from 11:00 to 16:30, which seems like a fair amount of time. But I don't know how close to reality that is. Then with time for the tenders we'll see how much time we actually have ashore.

• Options

Terry - Per plan there is ample time ashore. Part of that time, assuming you want it is getting your picture taken by the We Crossed the Arctic Circle sign. If walking to the rock is a priority, then I suggest doing it first. The tenders, to/from take less than an hour total (in my recollection).

• Options

Thanks, Sam. That's helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file