Questions about Tea and Laundry

For anyone who has taken this tour,

1. On the evenings where dinner is included (but not special occasion ones) is there ever the option to have high tea at the hotel instead of dinner?

2. Do the hotel bathrooms have retractable laundry hanging lines?

Thanx

Comments

• edited April 2017
    For anyone who has taken this tour,

1. On the evenings where dinner is included (but not special occasion ones) is there ever the option to have high tea at the hotel instead of dinner?

2. Do the hotel bathrooms have retractable laundry hanging lines?

Thanx

We went in 2013:

1. Never offered or mentioned on our tour. The first problem is that high tea may not be offered at the hotel, and second, you rarely have a free afternoon and high tea may not be offered later when you are done touring for the day. There appears to be 2 or 3 nights where Tauck pays and dinner is not special back at the hotel and possibly à la carte. In one instance (day 12 in London) it says, . . . . "dual pleasures of dining at a West End restaurant followed by an evening at the theatre – your choice from selections of restaurants and shows." That might be your best bet. You might want to give Tauck a call and/or talk to your TD on the first day. No harm in asking.

2. No. There have been some itinerary and hotel changes since then, however.
  • If you want high tea consider the Scotland trip. The added a fantastic high tea on an afternoon in Inverness.
  • It looks as if the McDonald Randolph hotel in Oxford has opportunity for high tea/afternoon tea and that is a day that dinner is not included. It is usually an Afternoon experience and of course something that is purely a tourist type of thing to do, I never ever had Afternoon tea during my regular life in England, but still, it is enjoyable and full of sugar and calories! I doubt you would be able to get an Afternoon tea experience in the evening. I think I had Afternoon tea at the Savoy one time and also I believe in the the Pump room in Bath where I was surrounded by fellow Americans. A caution, Tauck provides so much food on their tours that quite often when a meal is not included, we just seek out a snack rather than going to a restaurant, and I love food, so that is saying something. The Savoy has very elegant service and they know how to make a proper pot of tea correctly, so that is an experience you rarely see in the US. If you are staying extra time in London at the end of the tour, I would go for the Savoy.
  • Thanx guys.

I was hoping tea was an option and would make a nice change from a big meal. As British says, Tauck feeds you so well it's good to have a break. We'll be on this tour following a 14 day river cruise where they feed you even more than the land tours (along with free alcohol - oh my aching liver).

Part of why I was hoping it was included is my dear hubby who does best when he isn't presented with $$$ on a menu. I go to tea with a girl friend locally as a treat. With luck I can find someone on the tour who is interested.

Bath or Oxford seem the best bets since those are the stops with the fewest Tauck provided dinners.

On the hanging line, good to know. I'll pack my travel one or a plastic hanger with clips.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file