Luggage

We just received our pre-tour booklet from Tauck in advance of our June 25 - Best of the Canadian Rockies Tour.

After reading thru the booklet, I'm a little unclear regarding acceptable luggage for the trip. We received two Tauck luggage tags to place on our checked luggage, which would be the luggage typically moved by hotel staff and ground operators (that part is pretty clear). Where I'm a little confused is our carry-on items. Is there sufficient overhead space on the motorcoach for the roller type carry-on luggage which is typically utilized as aircraft carry-on items? Or, are we strictly limited to utilizing only our checked luggage for the trip for our clothing - and carry-on items would be limited to only small backpacks and purses?

If anyone has already been on this tour and could provide any insight, I would be greatly appreciative :)

Comments

• I haven't been on this specific tour, but Tauck's buses have only a shallow open shelf above the seats and the space under the seats usually has a foot rest in the way.

Some who have taken land tours have had luck with getting extra luggage tags so their bigger carryon's could go with the rest of the luggage under the bus. Others have carried their own down and stowed it themselves. Either way, you won't have access to anything in it until the next hotel stop. Also, some have reported that if too many people bring extra bags it slows down the loading process, so the TD moves the time bags have to ready earlier for everyone.

Bottom line, you could probably squeak by bringing your big carryon plus checked bag, but are safer not. A standard checked bag plus a squash-able tote bag/backpack for the items you need during the day.
  • edited June 2017
    What Claudia says. It depends- I have been on Tauck tours where travelers had to schlepp their large carry-on's to and from the bus and their rooms, and on other tours where they were issued extra tags.

Also, as Claudia says, by taking more than the Tauck recommended luggage you slow the loading and unloading process and may also be putting an extra burden on the bell hops and bus driver. There is definitely insufficient space in the overhead to store a large carry-on (even a large backpack may not fit on some buses.)

Finally, why do you need a large carry-on for a short 8-day trip? Remember, most Tauck tours are casual. What will you do on a longer tour?!?!? or a 12 day tour where all you are permitted to carry is a Tauck duffle?
  • Thanks Alan and Claudia.

It's not like I'm trying to travel like I'm a member of the House of Saud... with a huge wardrobe... It's just that as I'm getting older, I find it much easier to schlep a couple of smaller luggage items as opposed to a larger bag. But, since it sounds like the majority of the "schlepping" will be done by someone else, I'll opt for the larger luggage bag minus a carry-on.
    Thanks for your input!!!
  • One of the nice things about a Tauck tour. From the moment the driver picks you up at the airport until they take you back you won't have to carry that heavy bag.

And as Alan said, this is a casual tour. Don't think you need a new outfit every day. No one will notice if you repeat. Most of us over pack our first tour then learn the hard way not to. My first 8 day tour my bag weighed about 45 pounds. About to head off to two back to back 14 day tours and it weighs about 30. I'll sink wash some items and find a laundromat at the mid point for heavier items like slacks.

Hope you enjoy your tour. The Canadian Rockies are on our bucket list.
  • I am sure I have lived a very British sheltered life because I have never heard the word "schlep" previously. Had to look it up and the good old Oxford Dictionary tells me it is a North American term for carrying something heavy or awkward. Never too old to learn new things so thanks for using. I guess we Brits have many words which are not universal across the world too. I shall add schlepping to my vocabulary.
  • LOL Richard... yes, the Brits have a number of terms which leave me wondering about the meaning they are trying to convey from time to time. I had a number of Jewish friends growing up, and I believe the term "schlep" is yiddish if I'm not mistaken.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file