Options

Jeep access

Has anyone who has been there know if it is difficult to climb into jeeps. I am perfectly fit but have a bad knee which could be a problem if the step is very high. Are there stepstools to make it easier?

Comments

• Options
    The vehicles are lower to get into than on other safaris. They are usually Toyota Landcruisers. How about going to a Toyota dealership and faking interest in buying one and trying out your knee on those? The front seat next to the driver is often available if the Tauck director is not sitting in your vehicle and if the others allocated to the vehicle are Ok with you hogging a good seat, but of course you may not be the only one with a minor mobility problem. Those with back problems are probably worse off than you for potential problems. There wasn't always a step when we were on that tour and helpfulness from Safari guides definitely appear to vary from day to day and trip to trip.
  • Options
    menahelen wrote:
    Has anyone who has been there know if it is difficult to climb into jeeps. I am perfectly fit but have a bad knee which could be a problem if the step is very high. Are there stepstools to make it easier?

There will be plenty of folks willing to give you a hand up. The good thing is you only need to climb aboard once during a game drive, because you never leave the vehicle, unless you have a weak bladder : )

These photos give you a rough idea about the height of the door sill. I'm not sure all vehicles had them but these had running boards a few inches below the door sill.

IMG_1840r.jpg

IMG_2429r.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file