Esprit Quality of Food?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522170&page=7

This does not bode well for my upcoming cruise. Hope Tauck is reading the various forums and taking action if the food on this ship is not up to par.

Comments

• There is always someone who is unhappy no matter what. Cruise critic seems to have the biggest group of "critics" I've seen.

I've been on 3 Tauck river ships and overall thought the food was excellent with the following caveats:

- I don't think they especially shine at breakfast where there is little variety from day to day. They have an excellent selection of pastries, breads, cereals, yogurt, juice, cheeses, fruit, etc. I don't like steam table eggs at the best of times so generally avoid. In Europe, if you want crispy bacon you have to ask for it and hope for the best.

- Each chef has there own specialities. Example, the chef who used to be on the Inspire (now I think she's on the Savor) had outstanding soups and entrees including some local foods. Desserts and ice cream not always as expected. On the Sapphire (this past Jun) the chef's soup was soso, but everything else was excellent.

- When reading "bistro" reviews, remember that the newer ships (Inspire, etc) have the Arthur's version with it's own kitchen and more choices. These are being retrofitted on the older ships - Esprit I think is up next year. We had an excellent lunch back there on the Sapphire. We also ate dinner there once on the Inspire and my husband was really impressed with the steak.

- No matter which ship, hotel, etc I've always found food I really liked and others I'd give a pass on. If it's a buffet, I try a little of something and if I like it go back for more. I've never had any trouble getting enough to eat on a Tauck tour.

Yes, Tauck does listen. At the end of the cruise you'll get a critique form and (if you provide your name) a personal response from Tauck within a few weeks of your return. They may however ignore cruitsecritic.com
  • One comment on that discussion- if you lay your utensils across your plate, it is a sign to the waiter you are done- someone who blogs about cruising and dining like scluvsrain should know that. I'd say that blog was just one data point.
  • edited August 2017
    You see, for me, laying your utensils across the plate does not mean the same. In Britain, we are taught to lay knife and fork next to each other at the 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock position. Across the plate and separately placed utensils mean you have not finished your food. In addition, plates are never removed from the table until everyone at that table has finished eating, that is the height of rudeness. I have no idea what is correct in Europe. When I visit England, I have to remember to eat in the English way, eating food off the back of my fork, and in my left hand. Eating the American way is seen as rude. So vive la difference and why traveling is so fascinating and there is always something new to learn and either not like or appreciate and use a new way yourself.
  • Everything you always wanted to know about how to indicate to your server you are done eating in Continental Europe (photos provided): https://www.cliseetiquette.com/2012/11/14/waiter-eating-word/

It must be right, I read it on the internet! : )

Brits drive on the wrong side of the road, so what do they know? : )

In all seriousness, it looks like the key is both knife and fork are side-by-side, diagonally across the plate (10:00 & 4:00), with the tines pointing down (Continental).
  • There is always someone who is unhappy no matter what. Cruise critic seems to have the biggest group of "critics" I've seen.

I've been on 3 Tauck river ships and overall thought the food was excellent with the following caveats:

- I don't think they especially shine at breakfast where there is little variety from day to day. They have an excellent selection of pastries, breads, cereals, yogurt, juice, cheeses, fruit, etc. I don't like steam table eggs at the best of times so generally avoid. In Europe, if you want crispy bacon you have to ask for it and hope for the best.

- Each chef has there own specialities. Example, the chef who used to be on the Inspire (now I think she's on the Savor) had outstanding soups and entrees including some local foods. Desserts and ice cream not always as expected. On the Sapphire (this past Jun) the chef's soup was soso, but everything else was excellent.

- When reading "bistro" reviews, remember that the newer ships (Inspire, etc) have the Arthur's version with it's own kitchen and more choices. These are being retrofitted on the older ships - Esprit I think is up next year. We had an excellent lunch back there on the Sapphire. We also ate dinner there once on the Inspire and my husband was really impressed with the steak.

- No matter which ship, hotel, etc I've always found food I really liked and others I'd give a pass on. If it's a buffet, I try a little of something and if I like it go back for more. I've never had any trouble getting enough to eat on a Tauck tour.

Yes, Tauck does listen. At the end of the cruise you'll get a critique form and (if you provide your name) a personal response from Tauck within a few weeks of your return. They may however ignore cruitsecritic.com

Hoping for the best but the CC passenger who is still on the ship is posting some photos of food that does not look very appealing. She is also making the cruise director aware so hopefully some adjustments can be made soon. Apparently the menu is also not very regional. Tauck has such a great reputation, I am somewhat dismayed by reporting from the ship right now.
    http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522170&page=12

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file