YELLOW-FEVER IN BRAZIL - MARCH 23, 2018 TOUR

Hello all who are traveling on the Essence of south America tour on March 23, 2018. My husband and I just noticed that the CDC advises all travelers to Brazil be vaccinated for yellow fever. We can't find this requirement on the Brazilian Embassy web site. Does anyone else have any current information? We live away from metropolitan areas and will have trouble getting vaccinated on such short notice. Thanks, Shirley

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Did you miss all the news about the Yellow fever vaccine being in short supply. The Chances of finding it in 4 days is pretty slim, plus it takes I think about ten days before it is effective. It’s always good to read up on critical health information at least six months before travel. The CDC and WHO are always my go to resources, then the Embassy. Tauck recommends you read these when you make your booking of any tour. I read the BBC world news daily on line because that is my favorite way to keep abreast of world news which might cover unusual health outbreaks.
  • British wrote:
    Did you miss all the news about the Yellow fever vaccine being in short supply. The Chances of finding it in 4 days is pretty slim, plus it takes I think about ten days before it is effective. It’s always good to read up on critical health information at least six months before travel. The CDC and WHO are always my go to resources, then the Embassy. Tauck recommends you read these when you make your booking of any tour. I read the BBC world news daily on line because that is my favorite way to keep abreast of world news which might cover unusual health outbreaks.

For those YF shot nay sayers on other forums, we could probably say "I told you so," but we would never do that! :~) Besides, the Brazilian Embassy website doesn't mention it. . . . . . yet! : ) Hmmm, who was it that said things could change with little notice?
  • We got Tauck tickets and information from AAA. Our representative told us in DECEMBER that we did NOT need any immunizations to take the Essence of South America tour. Today, he contacted the Brazilian Embassy in Washington DC and was told the we MUST have the Yellow Fever vaccination to enter Brazil. We have an appointment on Wednesday, March 21st to get the vaccine at Passport Health Clinic in Orlando.

I posted this information to give others time to get their shots. Our shots will be 10 days + when we enter Brazil on April 2nd. I don't appreciate being treated like we are naive or stupid. Next time I won't waste my time......

• It's good that you got the yellow fever shot for Brazil. I got mine at Passport Health in Boca Raton, fl. They're all over.

See you on the 23rd.--Helen U.
  • If you contact Passport Health, you can get a shot to protect against Yellow Fever - it is not the Yellow Fever Vaccine, persay, (which is not available now in the U.S.), something else, recommended by the CDC, and only certain providers have it.
  • edited April 2018
    We got Tauck tickets and information from AAA. Our representative told us in DECEMBER that we did NOT need any immunizations to take the Essence of South America tour. Today, he contacted the Brazilian Embassy in Washington DC and was told the we MUST have the Yellow Fever vaccination to enter Brazil. We have an appointment on Wednesday, March 21st to get the vaccine at Passport Health Clinic in Orlando.

I posted this information to give others time to get their shots. Our shots will be 10 days + when we enter Brazil on April 2nd. I don't appreciate being treated like we are naive or stupid. Next time I won't waste my time......

Oh dear, I guess you need to change your representative for future trips. But so glad you are getting the yF vaccine, one less to have in the future.
    From the CDC WEBSITE THST HAS BEEN THERE SINCE 2017.........

There is a large, ongoing outbreak of yellow fever in multiple states of Brazil. Since early 2018, a number of unvaccinated travelers to Brazil contracted yellow fever; many of these travelers were infected on the island of Ilha Grande (Rio de Janeiro State). Several have died.
    Travelers to Brazil should protect themselves from yellow fever by getting yellow fever vaccine at least 10 days before travel, and preventing mosquito bites.
    In addition to areas in Brazil where yellow fever vaccination has been recommended since before the recent outbreaks, the vaccine is now also recommended for people who are traveling to or living in: All of Espirito Santo State, São Paulo State, and Rio de Janeiro State as well as a number of cities in Bahia State.
    People who have never been vaccinated against yellow fever should avoid traveling to areas of Brazil where yellow fever vaccination is recommended.
    Travelers going to areas with ongoing outbreaks may consider getting a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine if it has been 10 or more years since they were vaccinated.
    Yellow fever vaccine is available at a limited number of clinics in the United States, so travelers should plan ahead to get the vaccine.
    What is yellow fever?

Yellow fever is caused by a virus that is spread through mosquitoes. Symptoms of yellow fever (fever, chills, headache, backache, and muscle aches) take 3–6 days to develop. About 15% of people who get yellow fever develop serious illness including bleeding, shock, organ failure, and sometimes death.

What is the current situation?

In early 2017, the Brazilian Ministry of Health reported outbreaks of yellow fever in several eastern states, including areas where yellow fever was not traditionally considered to be a risk. Since the end of 2017, yellow fever cases have reoccurred in several states, especially in the states of Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, and São Paulo, including areas close to the city of São Paulo.

In early 2018, a case of yellow fever was reported in an unvaccinated Dutch traveler who had stayed near the São Paulo metropolitan region. Since then, there have been reports of other unvaccinated travelers to Brazil who visited areas with yellow fever outbreaks and contracted yellow fever; many of these travelers were infected on the island of Ilha Grande (Rio de Janieiro State). Several of these travelers died. None were from the United States.

In response to the outbreak that began in early 2017, the World Health Organization has expanded the list of areas where yellow fever vaccination is recommended for international travelers to Brazil.

In addition to areas in Brazil where yellow fever vaccination has been recommended since before the recent outbreaks, the vaccine is now also recommended for people who are traveling to or living in:

Etc etc etc
  • Whenever going out of the USA, I always check the CDC website for any immunizations that are needed for the area where I am going. Having said that, I’m a registered nurse & am aware of the importance of getting vaccines. We have to become our own advocates in health care.
  • Yes, I was a nurse too.
  • Hmmm... According to the Canadian Government Travel Advisory Site:

Country Entry Requirements for Brazil:

Proof of vaccination is required for travellers arriving from Angola and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Otherwise, as of August 18, 2018, they have updated the areas where outbreaks have occurred, and do say it is recommended, but not required.

I wonder why the Brazilian Embassy would say something different? These sites are supposed to be updated with info from the countries they relate to?!

I think I will trust my government and local Travel Clinic to know better than some pencil pusher at an Embassy...
  • We couldn't get the vaccine (in part because of our age), so we left the trip after Buenos Aires, spent an extra day at a Gaucho ranch in Buenos Aires and then took a ferry to Montevideo. We did miss the falls and Rio, but we liked what we did do. Some folks in our group did not have the vaccine. I don't know how that worked out.
  • PJGingiss wrote:
    We couldn't get the vaccine (in part because of our age), so we left the trip after Buenos Aires, spent an extra day at a Gaucho ranch in Buenos Aires and then took a ferry to Montevideo. We did miss the falls and Rio, but we liked what we did do. Some folks in our group did not have the vaccine. I don't know how that worked out.

The Patagonia tour might be a better option for people who don't want to get or cannot have the vaccine. It's seems crazy to miss the last four days of this tour.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file