Options

Nairobi extension

Hi folks,
My husband and I and a couple we are traveling with, are staying an extra day at the end of the trip (in Nairobi) in order to visit the David Sheldrake Elephant Orphanage. Any else out there who has done this or is planning to?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Nairobi is an unsafe and traffic congested city and in my opinion I do not see the need to go to an elephant orphanage after a busy and tiring tour where you will have seen hundreds of elephants in their natural setting.

Kenya elephant conservationist Daphne Sheldrick dies, aged 83 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43757716
  • Options
    I agree with you, British. I have been to Kenya twice during the time that my daughter and her husband were missionary doctors there. They are now back in the US (thank goodness!), and while there, they avoided Nairobi as much as possible because of safety concerns and traffic congestion. On my two visits, we did not go to the elephant orphanage because they had been there and, in their opinion, it was not worth the visit.
  • Options
    milmil
    edited April 2018
    I had posted a reply yesterday that I later removed...
    I was planning on visiting the elephant the David Sheldrake Elephant Orphanage but reading the info. on their website; I learned that they only open to the public for just 1 hour... so you pay and drive (40min.) to the site , to see the elephants for just 1 hour.. (11:00 - 12:00 pm) during their feeding & mud bath time & you cannot touch them.
    So, I dropped the idea.... :((((

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file