Options

internal flights - toy planes :)) Yeeeeehhh

Hello everyone...
Could someone please!! answer a question, if you can remember... ? How long are the internal flights ?
like from Serengeti to Arusha, the Amboseli to Mt. Kenya , MT. Kenya to Masai Mara? and then to Nairobi.
Please advise.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Mileg wrote:
    Hello everyone...
    Could someone please!! answer a question, if you can remember... ? How long are the internal flights ?
    like from Serengeti to Arusha, the Amboseli to Mt. Kenya , MT. Kenya to Masai Mara? and then to Nairobi.
    Please advise.
    Thanks

I don't remember, but don't think any were over 2 hrs. I think the longest was Mount Kenya (Laikipia, Nanyuki airport) to the Maasai Mara (Ngerende airstrip). You can probably do it using Google Maps.

Upate: nope/yup! Google does work but it says 1 hr 10 min.!! : ) from Nanyuki to Ngerrende and 1 hr 15 min. from the Serengeti (Seronera Airstrip) to Arusha Airport (not Kilimanjaro where the jets fly to). It actually says Amboseli to Mount Kenya is 1 hr 35 min. but believe that is with 1 or more stops- we flew direct. I have no idea whether they are using distance/airspeed or flight schedule info. Anyway, that should give you an idea- the flights are not long and the view is incredible since they fly low (less than 10,000') and relatively slow (less than 200 mph)! We went in June and Kenya was really green. There was much more agriculture than I expected. On the flight from Nanyuki to the Maasai Mara and we passed over some huge greenhouse complexes- According to one CNN article, "Kenya is the third largest exporter of cut flowers in the world, accounting for around 35% of all sales in the European Union." And get this, "Nearly two thirds of exports are destined for Holland, where they are resold to florists through auctions. . . !!!! Roughly 50% of Kenya's 127 flower farms are located around Lake Naivasha, some 90 kilometers northwest of the Kenyan capital of Nairobi." right along our flight path.

Oh, and the pilots- some might be young enough to be your grandchild? : ) but they are all good (and safe.)

Check out the size of this hilltop greenhouse I photographed from the plane on the flight to the Mara:

IMG_2424r.jpg

• Options
    milmil
    edited May 2018
    Thanks AlanS :)).
    Well, not quite my grandkids... that would be kind of impossible..:)))) but they did look young on the videos I've watched in youtube. Okay, so 1 hour.. possible 1h 1/2 flight, not bad.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    My wife was a bit worried about ‘small’ airplane travel at first. When I took her on a float plane in Alaska as her first small plane adventure, we had to taxi with the door open. But she really likes it now, and thoroughly enjoys the small airplane rides in Africa. The ‘schedule’ is not exactly precise, but it’s a lot of fun.

[img][/img]
  • Options
    milmil
    edited June 2018
    Great pic. AlanS.
    I love how you enjoy helping everyone with all the info and your pictures... it is always great help... Keep it on.. I'm waiting to see your 2018 trips. Have a great weekend.
    Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file