Options

K&T Evening Attire for Women

Hello - for those of you who have been on this trip, what is the evening attire for Women. It says the entire trip is very casual, but do people wear their 'convertible pants' or bring capris for dinners? thanks! We are on the August 27 trip and I'm starting to pack :)

Comments

• Options
    My wife and I were on this trip two years ago.

Mary stressed about the evening attire too, but as you will see it is pretty much up to each guest what they wish to wear, be it a little "casual-fancy" or extremely casual. And you are really limited on what you can pack to some of the lodgings because of the weight restrictions and having to divide up your clothing into the duffels for part of the journey. (BTW, all the lodges offer cleaning at ridiculously reasonable rates so you don't need to bring a different outfit for everyday.) If you pay attention you will see everyone in the same outfits a couple of times, but no one really notices or cares. We had one couple who packed everything for the entire trip - three outfits, meds and toiletries - in two large backpacks. No other luggage. Amazing!)

Some ladies came "as is" from the game drives, most others, like my wife, "freshened up" and changed into cleaner pants and blouses/shirts with some type of coat or sweater and accessories. For my wife, earrings made the safari attire "evening fancy." Don't really remember anyone in a dress except a young bride on her honeymoon - they ate separately from the group at a special dinner at the Four Seasons - but, then again, I really don't notice such things anyway so I might be mistaken. Be forewarned, the temperature can vary greatly and for us it was extremely cold up on the Ngorongoro rim (low 40s f, as I remember) and most ladies were bundled up for the two nights in layers of fleece overshirts, coats and pants until the fireplace heated up the restaurant area. Both the Four seasons and the Mt. Kenya Club had other guests who dressed up for dinner in suits and evening dresses (no one from our group) but there were others, like our Tauck group, who stayed in their "safari duds" and never got a sideways look.

This trip for us was a trip of a lifetime. Hope it is for you also.

• Options
    Black Wrangler jeans and a polo with fleece jacket was dress up for me. My wife wore slacks, sweater, and fleece jacket most nights. Our third safari, and quite frankly I did not notice what anyone else wore. I think everyone tried to wear something clean, like tomorrow’s safari gear. Today’s would not qualify. (;-). I don’t remember getting this dirty on our previous safaris. The cool wet towel they give you upon return to the lodge turned dark brown when I wiped off my face ... hadn’t even done my hands yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    We just got back from the K&T trip this past Friday. IT TRULY IS CASUAL! No one got dressed up. I brought a few dressier tops and never wore them. One nite at the Mt Kenya club i wore a scarf with my jersey. All i was thinking about was trying to wear reasonably clean clothes. I did get dirty because of the dust in the Serengetti, the mud ( even though it was the dry season we had a few heavy thunderstorms in the Masa Mara) and getting in and out of the safari vehicles. All of the lodges are very nice but everyone is VERY casual.. Need layers to stay warm.. The schedule is very busy and as the trip went on most were just thinking reasonably clean. Laundry services are reasonable and i used them.. it is a fabulous trip! Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    LeeW. I love your 'right on' summary???? It's so liberating to go to Africa. You just throw in your suitcase sensible, comfortable clothing and you are ready.
    When I took the K and T tour about twelve years ago, we did not stay at the fancier Mount Kenya or Four Seasons. We had a wonderful tour in perfectly good other hotels. I guess that's why the price jumped so much when Tauck changed the hotels. We will be taking this tour again next year in a different season and are taking the Rwanda add on, there will not be room for fancy clothing even if I wondered about taking it.
  • Options
    The K&T is an absolutely wonderful trip! We went in July. Perhaps I'm too persnickety, but at the end of a game drive I was very dusty, my clothes were very dusty and my hair felt like straw. I could not fathom going to dinner at the Four Seasons Lodge in the same clothes. Our usual routine was to shower and change before dinner. Sometimes I put on the next day's clothes but more often than not I wore capris and a nice top. And I would re-wear that outfit on another evening. What I would have done differently was pack less safari type clothes and use the laundry service more often. It is very inexpensive and nicely done. Layers are important because our days started cooler and ended warmer. I also wore slip-off tennis shoes because we were allowed to stand on the seats if we took our shoes off.
    Of all the wonderful trips we have taken with Tauck, this one was by far the most memorable!
  • Options
    Janice G . Hi! are you in the 27th tour? could it be the 25th? I'm in the 25th.
    Yes, don't worry about fancy clothe it looks like the dust and mud are the plate of the day..... I had to change couple of outfits for something more like shirts ready to be donated... instead of my RL safari clothe... I'm taking 4 nice t-shirts for the hotels and that's it.
    Have fun packing, I spray all my clothe yesterday, camera gear is ready, Buffies,hat,snaks for the Jeep and scarfs R ready too.
  • Options
    Hi Mileg,

I have been very interested in your comments, and questions over the past months. Your questions are exactly my questions!! i am going to K&T next July 10th with 4 friends-- I want to hear all the details...I keep looking through my closet and I have nothing suitable to bring (it is either black, black or white!). Thankfully one will not need much. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures! Safe travels ! Nancy
  • Options
    milmil
    edited August 2018
    Hi Nancy.
    I'm glad all my questions help others. I just like to be prepare and since I'm always adding xtras to the tours , I like to get as much info. as possible. To start get all your meds and immunizations at Costco if you have any around instead of any travel clinic, it is 1/2 price. also the Visas you can either do on your own or buy piece of mind by using Visa central.
    The clothes , from what I have gather... is very relax and as you do too... I have lots of blacks & blues so I did end up going to Target & Walmart to buy t-shirts , got 8 total @ $4 ea. and that's what I'm wearing for the game drives... and than I'm taking some nice LR (4) for the rest. & the lodge. I like to dress up a little better @ the hotels and look clean & fresh . Eddie Bauer has great outdoor clothes .. I bough my fleece & jacket there. I compared prices and the Safari stores charge double, and to be honest, unless I go on another Safari which I'm sure I will... My closet is completely the opposite of what a Safari wardrobe would look like. :))
    Spa treatments if interested do book them early, I did all of them about 4 month in advance. The food I heard is delicious ,in some places like in Arusha they use ingredients that are common in the Caribbean islands, Plantains, tropical fruits, rice, beans etc... (sounds like Cuban food. Yumm. )
    Nancy be sure I will do a report on my experience. But if you have noticed AlanS, British and Sealord are our Safari goers best friends! they are incredible and love to share info.
    Have a lovely day.

• Options
    Loves2travel2 mentioned slip on shoes in the safari vehicles. I agree. I wore slip on shoes most of the trip. They were the Merrell clogs and they were perfect in the safari vehicles. You could be out of them instantly to be up on the seats and they were easy to get back into. They also were great for walking with lots of support. Others on the trip wrre wishing they had slip ons.
  • Options
    We had the "exception" in evening attire because we happened to be at the Mount Kenya hotel on New Year's Eve and there was a fantastic buffet, dancing, and balloons everywhere at midnight. Of course, "evening attire" was just a sundress like one would wear for supper on a Windstar cruise with some costume jewelry. It could be rolled up in the duffel bag like everything else. Kenya was warm at night in January, but I recall some nights around the boma when a jacket was helpful in Tanzania. We worked out a plan whereby we wore "tomorrow's tee-shirts" and trousers when we dressed for dinner after the shower so we were not so dusty. (Laundry service helped in this plan.) The wardrobe was all khaki cargo pants and beige tee shirts. Some of it came from Goodwill and it was "disposable" quality. We started out with pith helmets but we donated them (plus many items of clothing that we no longer wanted) when we finally reached Nairobi. Nobody's attire was memorable, just clean. Very casual group.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    LeeW wrote:
    Loves2travel2 mentioned slip on shoes in the safari vehicles. I agree. I wore slip on shoes most of the trip. They were the Merrell clogs and they were perfect in the safari vehicles. You could be out of them instantly to be up on the seats and they were easy to get back into. They also were great for walking with lots of support. Others on the trip wrre wishing they had slip ons.

Once you get in the safari vehicle, you don’t get in and out, so it’s quite easy to just leave your shoes off all the time on the safari. I wear slip on Merrill’s or equivalent but not the clog type.
    Clothing, there is no need to buy safari clothes if you are like me and generally wear earth tones. I look dreadful in black, and I avoid it most of the time, it’s for funerals where I come from and the Queen is the same. Seriously though, other places that have safari type travel pants are also Costco and BJs, last year they began selling the travel pants for about $13 a pair. I got grey and khaki to supplement my aging duds. I always wear long sleeve t shirts, my go to is Uniqlo these days, in the sale the long sleeeves are around $10 instead of $14. Uniqlo and Costco are great for down jackets, very cheap, I prefer these to fleeces,they take up far less room and weigh nothing and are reasonably water repellent. I tend to have a long sleeve one and vest style.
    When I go on my next safari vacation (should I say vacation, it’s tiring but exciting), my sixth, I will continue to take just safari style, showering before dinner and putting the next day’s clothing on. I find you need to cover up even more in the evening to avoid bites and the cold, a dress would not work for me. We know we can dress up at home, wear our fancy watches and the like, we are not going to do that in Africa unless we do an add on to Cape Town where it might be appropriate.
    Food. Is not Caribbean, in Kenya it tends to have an Asian Indian influence due to the history of the country. There is complete variety. On our first trip around 2006 they also easily catered to the less common gluten free clients, producing gluten free breads etc. at the lodges.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file