Options

Early arrival in Arusha - what to do/see?

My husband and I just booked the Classic Safari to Tanzania and Kenya for late August. We arrive a day or two early to adjust to the time change. Any thoughts re things to do in Arusha that won't duplicate the Tauck itinerary?

Comments

• Options
    This topic has been fully covered if you look back over the forum. But I think the Arusha National Park is the best thing to see. Personally, I don’t think a trip to the local market is worth it. We also enjoyed the guided walk round the lake.
    The hotel is not in the center of Arusha by the way, it’s a ways out.
  • Options
    I did the same trip in 2017. I arrived a day early, and before I left the states, I booked a guide from the hotel to take me to Arusha National Park. Although I eventually saw most of the same animals on the safaris with Tauck, it was a lovely introduction to Tanzania, and because I was traveling solo, the guide went at my pace. If you want to do the walking safari at the park, I recommend wearing good hiking shoes, because the ground was wet. While on the walking safari, the guide took me to a scenic waterfall. Also, if you do ask the hotel to provide you with a boxed lunch, be sure to get a receipt when you pay for the lunch. I paid cash, and did not get a receipt; they also then billed the lunch to my room, and although I explained what happened, I just paid again rather than debate the charge as we were checking out that morning. By the way, the Kenya and Tanzania classic safari is an amazing trip, and I am sure you will have an excellent time!!
  • Options
    We took this trip in July 2018 and had a fantastic time. SEALORD who responds frequently in these posts was on our trip. We also arrived a day early, but unlike some we decided not to go to Arusha National Park and do something more calming. Believe me by the end of the trip you will have seen it all in the Parks. On the ride from the Arusha airport to the hotel our TD suggested a visit to the Tengeru Cultural Center and Coffee Plantation and that's what we did. After a relaxing morning and breakfast about a dozen or more of us took the 30 minute or less trip to the Coffee Plantation. The Tanzanians working there were very nice and they had a lot to offer. We toured the Center and then participated in making coffee from green coffee beans to enjoying a freshly made cup or two and then buying a few bags of coffee to take home. Tanzanian coffee is outstanding! It was the perfect 3-4 hour activity for the day before everything begins. Many travelers also donated a few dollars that allowed the Cultural Center workers to buy and plant trees in the new year. It was a great day for many of us on the tour.
  • Options
    My wife enjoyed the hike around the lake enough to do it twice ... on different trips. I like the hotel and grounds and rest up for the trip to come. The reason we go in a day early is to be rested for the trip. There is nothing in Arusha that you will not see on the Tauck portion of the tour. But, if you want to see a little more, go for it. During our two K&T trips there were few people that did not skip a tour because they were just too tired. Get some rest and do the whole Tauck trip. We in fact skipped the night safari because that day we had already spent twelve hours in the safari vehicle, or a hot air balloon, and going to the Mara river.
  • Options
    If you read through the forum archives as British suggested, you should have seen my take on this topic. While it is true that you won't see anything in Arusha National Park that you won't see on tour, however there are at least three things to consider:

If you have never been on a safari or in a safari vehicle, a tour of Arusha National Park, is a great way to gain experience in the vehicle in safari conditions- bumpy roads, window, pop top, taking photos from the vehicle, etc., etc.

From our experience you get much closer and see more giraffe than on tour.

You can also take advantage of a walking tour at Arusha National Park which you won't be able to do on the regular tour.
  • Options
    Yes, totally agree with Alan on all points. Plus the scenery is very different. For us, there really is a lot more about Africa than animals, the scenery for one. Although Tanzania remains my favorite African country, kinda like my first love, the scenery in Namibia is spectacular yet the animals are few and far between and I would go back there is a heartbeat if Tauck started to go there again.
    The area is known for coffee cultivation and I think we have been to a coffee plantation in Africa but I can't remember when or where. I do know that we have been to at least four of five coffee plantations on various Tauck tours and one twice. They are interesting.
    As Sealord mentions, the Africa tours can be very tiring. If you can arrive two days early it really helps with the jet lag and all the 5am starts to the day you will be having.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file