One of the oddest things I've seen during a plane flight

On my recent return from Patagonia, on the short leg from DFW to DEN, I was seated in row 2 on the aisle. After the flight attendant served breakfast, I saw her pick up the phone near the cockpit door, then move the food cart across the aisle, blocking access to the front bathroom. Pilot 1 came out of the cockpit to use the bathroom. He returned and then pilot 2 came out and did the same. Next, a third person came out of the cockpit and followed suit.

This was about 30 minutes into an under 2 hour flight with no delays. First thought was why didn't they go before they got on the plane. Second was, uh oh, maybe they have food poisoning or have been drinking. In any case, I'd never seen anything like this before, where all 3 cockpit occupants sequentially use the bathroom. The flight was uneventful after that.

Comments? Sealord?

Comments

• edited January 2019
    A short flight so probably just easier if they all got it out of the way- they had too may beers before takeoff !?!?!? Cart was used to block access to open cockpit door and provide extra security. Small plane, hmmm, third guy a deadheading pilot, flight examiner? Maybe Sealord can comment, but according to this article it is against procedures for most airlines (though not prohibited by the FAA) for both pilots to eat the same meal to prevent both from getting food poisoning.
  • edited January 2019
    Indeed. That cart across the aisle thing was actually something that I personally started after 911. My last flight that I did not fly on 911 due to jury duty was to New York, and my first flight about five days later when flights resumed was to New York. We had no secured bullet proof doors, nor the Katy Bar which was the first security addition ... cute ‘Katy Bar the Door’. So I told the flight attendants that whenever we had to open the cockpit door I wanted the bar cart (which is much heavier than a food cart) placed across the aisle blocking the cockpit door. One of the flight atttendants objected and said I could not tell her what to do with the bar cart. I told her she would do what I ordered or she would get off the airplane. She complained to the chief pilot, who called me in to ‘explain’ that I could not tell the FA’s what to do wiith the carts. I told him as long as I’m in command of the aircraft, unless it is immoral or illegal, they will follow my instructions. I don’t know exactly what happened after that to change the course, but it became standard procedure at my airline, and many others. I smile every time I see that procedure.

As far as everyone going to the lav after takeoff on a short flight, there are often very short connect times between flights for the crew, and little time to do anything except the flight planning and getting the machine in the air. If they all went in sequence it meant the FA’s only had to put up the cart once ... considerate I think.
  • As a frequent airline traveler with Tauck, both domestic U.S. and international. I just wanted to thank Sealord for his post/comments. This is the first time I had heard the situation behind the FAs and the carts. Interesting. Security is still of utmost importance these days, especially in air travel. Thank you, Sir.
  • Interesting...about 10 years ago we were flying international business on Delta but were in domestic first class on a connecting flight. We were in the first row when the flight attendant moved the cart across the aisle in front of one of the lavatories. Someone from the cockpit entered the lavatory. Meanwhile the lady in the front seat across the aisle got up to use the lavatory that was not blocked off. She was rather harshly rebuked and ordered back to her seat until the all clear! I never like to question any security procedures, but a little explanation and/ or forewarning would have been appreciated!
  • I don’t know how Delta does it, but the seat belt sign normally goes on before the cart goes across. Anyone who gets up when the cockpit door is open and the seat belt sign is on will be challenged, cart or no cart. They will not be most interested in being polite in these circiumstances.
  • Yes, when we have been lucky enough to be sitting in business class, we see this happen.
  • Just flew to the Panama Canal and back. This procedure was utilized on all four flights. I have read that some crew have been lobbying for a more secure procedure that would involve providing a second door. I say, “Go for it.”, but knowing the FAA I would not hold my breath.
  • Yes, also saw the same procedure on our last flights.
  • AlanS wrote:
    A short flight so probably just easier if they all got it out of the way- they had too may beers before takeoff !?!?!? Cart was used to block access to open cockpit door and provide extra security. Small plane, hmmm, third guy a deadheading pilot, flight examiner? Maybe Sealord can comment, but according to this article it is against procedures for most airlines (though not prohibited by the FAA) for both pilots to eat the same meal to prevent both from getting food poisoning.

No reason to assume a small plane. Flights from DFW to DEN frequently have 737 or larger planes on that route and 737s, last I looked have the capacity for 3, especially if they are continuing on for a long flight. And it's ski season, so the larger planes are used at this time of year, even when smaller are used in the summer. Just my 2 cents.
  • Interesting thread! I'd never seen anything like this.
    I find it interesting that someone would join the forum and make such a pointless first post. Spammer establishing and testing the account?
  • Flying last Saturday from San Juan PR to Charlotte NC...sitting in biz class...same procedure before take off, again in the air just before some predicted turbulence, that didn't happen. Had not seen before, makes sense.