Options

Yellow Fever shots

I am a little confused. Read many posts, checked with CDC, my Doctor and can't seem to get a straight answer. Also many places hard to get Yellow Fever shots because in short supply. CDC says parts of Kenya you need it, others near coast you do not. Seems like interior where TK classic tour goes ( July 2019) is in area where CDC recommends the shot.

Does anyone have further information on this as to should you have it or not? So far I have found you need Hep A and Typhoid plus malaria pills. Some say anti-diarrhea pills. Anyone know about anti diarrhea also?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I can’t say any more about the Yellow Fever shot that isn’t already out there for you to read.
    You mention anti diarrhea pills. There are pills you can take if you get diarrhea such as Imodium, these will work by reducing gut motility. There are no preventative diarrhea pills. There are antibiotics you can ask your doctor about prescribing for you to take in case you do get diarrhea and these will work on any bacterial organisms that are attacking your gut. If it happens to be from a parasite, then you will need another class of drug.
    If you get to the Kenya border and an agent asks you for proof of the Yellow Fever vaccine, that is really what counts. Some people who have posted here have been asked, I don’t know how common an occurrence that is. I was asked for proof in Botswana, but not in Kenya.
  • Options
    British pretty much hit all the key points. Irrespective of what the CDC or overseas US embassies say, see a travel doc, and unless you have medical contra-indications, get the YF shot and be done with it. You don't want to be turned away at the border. Remember, the person likely to ask to see your shot card is an immigration officer and not a doctor- procedures change and YF outbreaks can happen at any time. You don't want to be like the couple that didn't have two blank adjacent visa pages in their passport and weren't allowed to board the flight to SA- they had to go to a US Embassy and lost two tour days.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file