Options

"Been There" Virtual Travel Quiz? Round #79

See Round #20 for info about and rules for the contest.

Round #76 won by SueMS
Submitted by Sealord. It is one of two 3500 years old Egyptian Sphinxes portraying Amenhotep III wearing the dual crown of Upper and Lower Egypt. They were originally from a temple in Thebes but are now located in Saint Petersburg, Russia. They arrived in 1830. By the time the initial purchase proposal made it from the Embassy in Cairo to Nicholas I of Russia and then to the Russian Academy of Arts, both had been sold to a French buyer. As a result of the French Revolution, Saint Petersburg got the sphinxes after all. They can be seen today on the waterfront in front of the Imperial Academy of Arts.

Round #77 won by Portolan
Submitted by JohnS. Women’s rolling latrine. Bandhavgarh National Park, India. Nepal and Northern India tour.

Round #78 won by TravelGuy (with a “tsetse” assist from others)
Submitted by connorlaker. Flag used in E. Africa to attract (and kill) tsetse flies. Photographed on?

Round #79 is officially open. Submit your photo in a reply [Leave a Comment] to this announcement.

Comments

• Options

What is this and where is it?

• Options
    edited April 2020

Rhine river in Bavaria, Germany. And perhaps a kayak course.

• Options
    edited April 2020

It might be this course, but yours doesn't look artificial. It is definitely a kayak course.

• Options

Kayak course is correct. The place is not in Augsburg.

• Options

First location - Bavaria, Rhine River

• Options

Not there either.

• Options

Sure looks a lot like Bavaria. Maybe not the Rhine. Here's a somewhat smaller river in Bavaria, but the vegetation looks similar.

• Options

It is not in Germany or Austria.

• Options

There were no courses, but Bhutan has some of the best wild kayaking rivers in the world. It was pretty crazy! I watched a show about it a few weeks ago

• Options

I think it's in the US somewhere, Snake river perhaps.

• Options

Not the US.

• Options

Reminds me of something in Scandinavia but I can't recall where.

• Options

Not Scandinavia.

• Options

Hint: : read Smiling Sam's answers.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Somewhere in the Swiss or Italian Alps/Dolomites?

• Options

Go farther west.

• Options

France

• Options

Portugal?

• Options

Ok. There's only on place remaining....Spain. As you can see in the second picture, this is where they held the kayaking for the Barcelona Olympics. I was sure someone would have gotten this after Smiling Sam's post from wikipedia which referenced the Barcelona Olympics.

The town where this is located is called La Seu d'Urgell. It's in the Pyrenees west of Barcelona, not too far from Andorra. We stayed there during the Paradors of Northern Spain trip.

There's some interesting history connected to the Franco regime. The wife of the hotel's owner took us on a guided tour of the town. Her husband's uncle had been priest in the local church. The Catalans had problems with Franco and refused to listen him, even the priests. So... one day Franco's men came, took the priests out of the church during Mass and shot seven of them outside the church. There are a group of Catalans who are considered martyrs by the Catholic church.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Most excellent!!!! We should have known with all the infrastructure (bridge, walkways, etc.) it was much more than a rural mountain town slalom course.

• Options

This is high tech. When you get to the bottom, you go around a corner and get to an "elevator" that takes your raft or kayak up the hill to the top of the course.