I don't remember who was lucky enough to finish either Jordan and Egypt, Petra to the Pyramids or Egypt: Jewels of the Nile in early 2020, other than Karen1672, BlountvilleTN, or ChicagoTravelers, but I have a question for anyone who did.
It is not on the itinerary, but on your tour was unfinished obelisk mentioned by the TD or local guide and/or did you have the opportunity to visit the Aswan quarry and the obelisk on the ride back to the hotel or during your short time in Aswan? Construction was started under Hatshepsut (1508–1458 BC). The unfinished obelisk is nearly one-third larger than any ancient Egyptian obelisk ever erected. If finished it would have measured around 138 ft and weighed nearly 1,200 tons, a weight equal to about 200 African elephants.
On Day 9 we are scheduled to visit Abu Simbel, fly back to Aswan, stop for photos of the high dam, then head to the hotel, arriving at approx 3:15 pm. Dinner that night at the 1902 is scheduled for 6:30 pm. The quarry is only about 1 mi. and a 20 min. walk from the Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan (see map). If we don't get to visit, either as a published Green Book itinerary event or Tauck lagniappe, I might ask our TD if the bus could drive by and drop me off at the quarry. After touring the relatively small site I would walk to the hotel. Sounds like a plan. Comments?


