Rick Steves show about Egypt

I believe each PBS station determines its own schedule, but in my area, there is a new Rick Steves show about Egypt on tonight. It's called Egypt: Yesterday and Today.

Comments

• edited October 2020

Great find! Since it's not scheduled for our local PBS station, I found it on-line (from his web site) and it can be played via Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga1_2Zy5__s

• I just watched. Great show. I wanna go now! Didn't go in March 2020, probably won't get to go in March 2021(?), so, when????

I had been watching a Lost Treasures of Egypt series on the Nat Geo channel where they followed a half dozen or so excavations throughout Egypt. I've seen all 14 episodes (season 1 & seaon 2 thru episode 8), but it is not on anymore. (You can still view them on the Nat Geo website.) There is no info available on whether it has been renewed or if there will be a season 3, but it was very interesting.

• In other news about Egyptian antiquities. Work continues to clear away rubble, homes, churches, mosques, etc. from the avenue of the sphinxes that runs between the temples of Luxor and Karnak. https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2020/10/egypt-restore-luxor-grand-avenue-sphinxes-tourism.html

• Excellent! Thanks Potolan for sharing, I just hope we get to see it in person next May 2021.

• I will add my thanks to mils. It was a great program and brought back many wonderful memories of our fantastic June (not an ideal month for that trip) in 2009 to Egypt and Jordan with GCT. We spent several great hours in the old Egyptian museum. We were told the new museum was under construction and scheduled to open in2011. At least in part because of the Arab Spring, that did not happen! If you can access it on the internet, the October 1963 issue of National Geographic has two wonderful articles about Egypt. One is titled Tutankamen's Golden Trove. The other one is called Threatened Treasures of the Nile and deals with the construction of the Aswan Dam and the moving of Abu Simbel. I still have that magazine since I knew even that long ago that someday I would go there. Hopefully by 2021 those of you who were supposed to have gone this year will be able to go. Surely by that time the new museum will be open so you'll be rewarded for having to wait.

• I'm not holding my breath! :/

Progress is being made, albeit, slowly. The project’s supervisor Atef Moftah said that engineering work is over 97 percent complete, and construction has been completed at 100 percent. Those last few percent and exhibits seem to be taking a long time.

Activity has been ongoing on the Giza plateau as well. Two days after its inauguration, the Giza Pyramids area’s first restaurant, Nine Pyramids Lounge, received its first tourist groups, according to an official statement from Egypt’s Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities.

Egypt’s first environmentally-friendly electric bus fleet recently made pilot trips through six main stations around the Giza Plateau. Minister of Tourism Khaled al-Anany said the fleet is projected to be fully operational by mid-2021. The entry of regular cars and buses into the plateau will be banned once the buses begin to run.

It was decided that the 30 sarcophagi discovered in Saqqara last year will be displayed in the GEM.

And so it goes. I wonder when I'll get to see them?!?!?

• edited October 2020

On a related note, I recently watched another Rick Steves show on my local PBS channel called, "Travel as a Political Act." It's from 2009, but just as relevant today. It was a very well done talk by Rick Steves, though I thought he got a little creepy near the end with his religious stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file