Options

Packing Lessons Learned

Since its a slow day travel talk-wise but at the same time many of us are getting ready to do some packing I thought I'd launch a new topic.

What items have you packed and found you didn't really need and conversely what useful items have you added to your packing? Let's try and stay away from fashion talk.

For me, I don't usually bother with a sun hat. Packed one for our first river cruise - never wore it and have only once since wished I'd had it. I've never brought an alarm clock since I use my smartphone instead.

Items, I've added include a couple of clothes pins. If I want to wash out socks I've found they're handy to keep them falling off the line. They're also useful for clipping curtains together if there is a gap. If we're adding some time on our own to the tour I always pack (checked bag) a small knife to cut cheese, fruit, etc for picnics. And of course - lots and lots of Ziploc bags in every size from snack to 2 gal.

Comments

• Options

I bring a few folding plastic coat hangers that I bought on Amazon. They're great for drying underwear and tops that I hand-wash. I put a pair of manicure scissors in my checked bag. (I had been taking them in a carry-on, which was allowed in the US, until I had a pair confiscated in Canada, where I learned that not all countries allowed small scissors.). Also, like Claudia, I bring Ziploc bags in multiple sizes.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Most useful items - a) Water shoes for swimming in the Dead Sea were great to have since the shore and sea bed were very rocky. b) Empty packing cube for storing dirty clothes. c) a 'Survivor' bandana that was lightweight and easy to pull up and down as a dust guard during the K&T safari drives. d) extra camera batteries.

Least useful items - Binoculars. I've brought them along on a few of our tours and find that I rarely use them. I only want to pack so much with me during the day and the camera equipment wins out over the binoculars.

• Options

Another one -- portable cell phone charger for those days that I take lots of photos with my phone. (I recharge the charger, as well as the phone, at the hotel each night.)

• Options

Zip lock bags not for K&T

• Options

Trixie, you might want to explain the no ziplocs on KT for those of us who haven't taken that tour.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Well remembered Trixie, I had forget about plastic bans. We take waterproof nylon bags that are about $8 for three of varying sizes, I carry my camera in one of those, never take a camera bag. They are good for wet swimwear and also laundry if you like too or anything else to keep safe or separate.
    We never go on a Tauck ‘adventure’ vacation without at least one buff each.
    For years, I kept reading on the forum about packing cubes, I never realized they weren’t actually cube shape. Once I understood what they were like and that they were not expensive everywhere like at LLBean and those kind of stores, I bought some and we have been using them ever since and just love them.
    We always wear compression socks on the plane.
    I’m the nurse, but Mr. B is the one that insists on taking a complete pharmacy even when we travel in the US and even visiting big cities. It was a joke because his mother used to do it and he’s the same.
    We always take an envelope or two and some note paper for our top for the TD. If you do postcards, address labels are good, we don’t send cards on vacation. I usually have business type cards with our email and address if I want to keep in touch with anyone.
    I keep a tape measure in my handbag.
    I’m about stumped for anything else that might be unusual or useful for others to read.
    One more thing. We made Shutterfly metal luggage tags several years ago with our photos on. They are about $8 each. Makes it easy for the TD’s to recognize our bags. A couple of years ago, we were sitting in one of the business class lounges and an airport gate attendant came up to us, our ongoing flight tag had come off our bag but our photos were on it, he walked around until he spotted us from the photos and was able to confirm our bag and put on a new label.
    I look forward to getting tips from others. Thanks for starting this topic Claudia

• Options

We bring a power strip that has both outlets and USB ports. We need fewer international plugs this way. The one we have has a 6 foot cord which gives us flexibility.

• Options

Good suggestions British, I too take a pharmacy of otc drugs either blisters packs or in a 7-day pill case with each compartment labeled. The thing with European pharmacies where you have to go in and try to explain what you need can be frustrating. Our very first day on our first tour I had to go into a Paris pharmacy and try to communicate the need for cream for an ankle rash. Literally holding up my leg and pointing to it hoping cortisone was a recognizable word.

On our Ireland tour the TD gave us our tour docs in a heavy clear vinyl envelope - about 6" x8" which I saved and use on other tours to hold the postcards I buy so they don't get damaged. They're my main souvenir.

• Options

Claudia - Your pharmacy story made me remember having to go into a pharmacy in Cuzco, Peru and try to explain I needed something for diarrhea. That turned quite comical for everyone in the pharmacy, including myself. 😀

• Options

Great topic and tips!

I prefer the packing sleeves (in different sizes) rather than the flimsy nylon cubes. I pack the sleeves whereby I can pull out one complete outfit at a time. I can usually fit three or four complete outfits in one sleeve. This avoids having to rifle through many different cubes looking for underwear, socks, et al.

Our luggage has a garment bag section that completely unzips so I can hang dresses and any other more formal attire directly into the closet.

I always carry a small sewing kit even though most of Tauck's hotels supply them. I add extra safety pins and small sewing scissors.

I take a small solar powered light that clips to my pocketbook or to a belt. This avoids fumbling for your mobile phone when you need a light.

I have a set of mini makeup brushes that I use exclusively for travel. I also have a small, collapsible brush, comb and toothbrush.

I use those airline toiletry bags for storing all kinds of small incidentals. I use the embroidery feature on my sewing machine to label each bag. This avoids having to open countless bags to find what you need. I give leftover bags to friends after embroidering their initials on the outside.

I sewed protective sleeves for our CDC vaccination cards by using a medium-weight pliable plastic and sewed a blanket stitch on three sides so the card can quickly and easily be pulled out.

I hope you find some of the aforementioned helpful!

• Options

Oops. I forgot the wine opener. It comes in handy when staying before and after the tour. We buy some wine and enjoy it while relaxing in the hotel or while getting ready for an evening out.

• Options

Always Pack
    1. Power strip with USB and regular plugs - keeps all gadgets charging together and I don't leave behind gadgets or cords.
    2. Only powder or cream makeup products to avoid spills and TSA hassles. Limit of 1 neutral eyeshadow. Limit of one bold lip product and 1 colored lip balm. Very minimalist.
    3. Makeup cleansing wipes rather than products I normally use. Space saving and spill proof.
    4. Limited jewelry and accessories. 2 pairs of earrings. 2 necklaces, 1 simple and 1 statement. Up to 2 scarves depending on season. All jewelry is costume that I wouldn't be too sad to lose. The fine jewelry stays home.
    5. Large lightweight Kipling bag for airplane travel and shopping excursions and a small cross body purse for sightseeing excursions. For more "outdoorsy" tours, a bum pack replaces the cross-body purse.
    6. Paper copy of complete itinerary with my name and cell phone number in front pocket of suitcase in case luggage goes on it's own independent journey. Photos of itinerary, passport and credit cards and other id are on my cell phone.
    7. 1 dryer sheet for the smell and to control static.
    8. Small pouch with 3 day supply of common OTC meds, bandaids, blisterpads and neosporin.
    9. Plastic grocery bags for dirty items.

No Longer Pack
    1. Shoes with high heels.
    2. Paper books or magazines.
    3. Camera. I can do a lot with a cell phone camera.
    4. One off outfits. Everything has to go with at least two other things I pack.

• Options

If you are going to be on a ship, magnets are handy. You can stick your notes, excursion tickets, or whatever to the wall anywhere. Most of the wall areas are steel.

• Options

One more thing, I almost always have a couple of packets of plasticware for impromptu meals on the go (yogurt, etc) or picnics.

• Options

I'm not exactly sure what a packing sleeve is compared to packing cube (of course all cubes I've seen are really rectangles) but I have "cube"s in multiple sizes and shapes. Have watched numerous youtube videos with ideas about how to use them. No matter what I start the trip with, halfway thru the system changes. Starts out all "Marie Kondo" and ends up "whatever goes". Still useful though.

I've also sewn some specialty bags using themed fabric so it's easier to pick out what I'm looking for. One has the fruit/cheese knife, corkscrew, a couple of sporks, a cut down piece of dollar store cutting board, etc if its the sort of trip we'll be fending for ourselves. Also have a specific bag with any laundry items - clothes pins, sink stopper, Shout stain remover wipes, and a sewing kit.

• Options

I have some really sturdy cubes of different sizes and colors. I pack about three outfits in each. Underwear and socks go in one cube. I use another cube for things I need but not often use each day like swimsuit, scarves, gloves, hat etc
    I’m loving everyone’s suggestions. I take pretty much everything people have mentioned from power strips, sewing kits, mini makeup brushes etc etc.
    More people, more suggestions, this is fun

• Options
    edited June 2021

I would post a picture of the packing "sleeves", but they are inside my luggage high up in a cabinet in the garage. Instead of zip around cubes, they are bi-folded compartments with a sturdy base. They come with a plastic square with instructions on how to fold various items of clothing so the items fit perfectly in the container. You fold the items around the square and then pull the square away. As I fold each outfit, I tuck in undergarments and socks. I now have one complete outfit with the accessories I need. After layering each folded set of apparel, you then fold over one panel then the other and close with the attached velcro. They have attached handles, as well.

I think the saying is..."clear as mud"???

I have only seen them once in the U.S. Mine are from Danmark and I find them to be indispensable.

• Options
    edited June 2021

I use the rectangular packing "cubes" which come in sets with various sizes but I mostly use the 2 largest.* These are dual sided and have dual edge zippers- clean clothes go on one side (front) and soiled on the other (back). The partition between sides is large enough so a cube never changes thickness from full clean to full soiled. One or two of the cubes have one side that is mesh. *I had purchase at least two sets so I had enough of the larger sizes.

One set came with a folding guide/device- tried it only once, it works, but too OCD, even for me!

• Sam, thanks for the reminder about the water shoes, just in case the Dead Sea air and water are warm enough in March for a quick 'float.'
    • +1 for clothes pins for hanging cloths and curtains (we like it dark). We usually take a short piece of lightweight clothesline too.
    • Binocs- took 'em once but not again. If I can't see it with my eyes or telephoto camera lens, it ain't worth looking at.
    • We've been using a Travel power strip for many years. Will likely upgrade with a similar one that has 2 - 4 USB power ports (maybe one with at least one USB-C port.)
    • Years ago on one trip I took both PC and iPad. Now just iPad- download photos to iPad nightly but I also keep originals on SD mem card (64+ GB)
    • Have never taken original meds bottles- never had a problem at border. Use small weekly organizer.
    • We take envelopes for tips- I sometimes add thematic images for specific trips, e.g. animal(s) for K&T, Colosseum for Italy, etc.
    • 2 small LED lights, w/new batteries
    • Use old business class amenity kits for camera and electronic and other accessories
    • Used roll-up nylon waterproof, "water bags" (avail at Walmart, Amazon, etc.) for any trip with excursions where camera, wallet, etc. can get wet- Galapagos, Vic Falls, etc.)
    • simulated plastic credit card- to keep lights/power on in hotel and riverboat rooms when one person leaves. (a real room keycard is not needed)
    • more . . . .
  • Options

So many useful suggestions!We both are physicians; so the carry along pharmacy is very complete.My husband has a list that he checks off before every trip.It comes in handy not only for us but also in case there is someone else in need.For clothes we take compression ziplock bags of different sizes;creates more space while keeping clothes wrinkle free!We put pieces of Bounce in each bag which keeps the clothes smelling fresh.In addition,before we leave on our trip we always leave a sealed envelope with important updated legacy information for our kids in case something untoward happens.As in my previous note comfort takes priority over fashion .Still trying hard to take minimal amount of clothing.Getting ready for a couple of trips this year;will take some hints from the forum!

• Options

OK, like I bad habit, I am back. Love the packing ideas. I'll just add one....very large plastic bags to put clothes in and suck out the air to make things more compact and less wrinkly. They actually sell "professional ones" but a large one from the grocery store, with a straw, works just fine.

Good to see that Alan and British are still hanging around here. I just signed up for a couple of Tauck trips for next year....River boat from Amsterdam to Brussels and then onto a tour from Paris to Normandy and back (with a few stops in-between). I am looking forward to them. Most of my travel since 2016 to Australia and New Zealand, has been in the US in my RV. Right after we get back from the two trips to Europe, we are off on an RV tour to western national parks and the Albuquerque Balloon Festival. That trip will be about three months long.

Just had the right hip replaced a couple of months ago and getting the left one done in about three weeks. So far, the right one was a piece of cake (just like both the knees). Hopefully, the left one will be just as easy.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions about the tours I have signed up for.

• Options

ndvb, You'll love the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. We were so sad to cancel it for 2020. If you're parking you RV at the field that is the best way to do it. Makes it so easy to get to the field especially since the events are very weather dependent. Bring lots of picture taking capability and warm outer wear for the cold Oct mornings and nights here.

I think we'll be taking the Paris/Normandy tour you mentioned this Sep - Normandy, Brittany, Paris & the Loire Valley.

I'm approaching week 6 on my new bionic knee and haven't thought it was easy at all. You're a hardy soul if you found it a piece of cake.
    Just praying I'm totally ready to tour by Sep.

• Options

The Paris/Brittany/Normandy/Paris itinerary is fabulous. Did it 2 years ago and absolutely loved it! Just wish we had more time at the Cemetery--a very sobering sight!

• Options

Both knees were very easy. I worked my tail off in PT and that helped. I honestly had very little pain with either knee or the hip. I ditched the crutches on the second day for the knees and never used any walking support for the hip after they made me use a walker to leave the hospital. I do have a high threshold of pain, but I really didn't have any pain. My knees are 15 years old and working great.

I'll be taking the Tauck tours next May/June and going out west in July. The RV tour is one where about 20 RVs meet in Utah and use a tour company to set up a 34 day trip to national parks. Two days after that, we go to Albuquerque to meet another "tour." I am sure they have us "glamping" in a nice spot close to the area where the balloons take off. Thanks for the tip on the clothes.

I'll have the 500mm lens, with a magnifier (1000mm), for pictures. Obviously, a tripod as well. I figure we'll get home from the western trip sometime in October. We are in no hurry to get there, or return. We can stop and visit with a lot of friends both ways. Site-see as well.

The Tauck trips will be great, as well. Back to back. We'll spend a couple of days between them in Brussels. I have some friends who live there and it will be nice to see them. It's actually on my birthday.

I'm not a big Paris fan....or should I say Parisian fan...I've been there before, but the person I am traveling with has not. This is mostly for her. I have been to Normandy as well....I love it there. It makes me think of my father-in-law (D-Day second wave engineer), my father (only one still alive and 95 years old now and was on a ship sunk in the Pacific), and my step-father (Navy in the Pacific at the Battle of the Coral Sea). As for the rest of that tour, I have been to some areas, but not all. It'll all be enjoyable

• Options

One final tip...I always keep small cedar blocks in my luggage at all times to guard against bugs. It is imperative, however, to lightly sand them periodically to release the cedar scent.

• Options

I always travel with a 5x Magnifying Glass, small lockback knife, children's craft scissors, waiters cork screw, 2 wine stoppers, shot glass and small flash light.

• Options

Won't duplicate anything (unless I missed it in reading this thread).
    Noise cancelling ear buds, and an extra battery (mine use a AAA and aren't rechargeable).
    A couple of plastic hotel laundry bags, in case the hotels on tour don't have them. I put dirty clothes in them to isolate from the clean stuff (I don't use packing cubes.)
    A wash cloth, as some countries don't offer them.
    An insulated, bicycle-size water bottle (Polar or CamelBak), as I usually do at least one bike ride on most trips.

• Options
    edited June 2021

We always travel with a digital luggage scale. It's lightweight, inexpensive, and easy to use. Sure beats standing on a scale at home holding a 50 pound bag. This eliminates the worry about bags being over the weight limit at the airport and either paying extra money and/or transferring stuff between bags at the airport when you are usually exhausted. The digital scale is even more helpful on the return trip when your bags are heavier because of trip purchases.

As mentioned in a previous post we take one or two empty and rolled up Tauck duffel bag(s) in our checked bag. We use the duffel to store all our dirty clothes and add to it as the tour moves along. Since we do not usually get our clothes cleaned during a trip this keeps clean and dirty clothes separate. Once home we just put the duffel in the laundry room. Since we usually fly Business having a second checked bag (the duffel) is not an issue.

• Options

Nial- your post above answers my questions in the other thread. :)

One last emergency(? :o ) tip. If you run out of clean clothes, a few little spritzes of Febreeze in strategic areas will temporarily get your clothes back smelling like a rose! :D

• Options

What thread is that, Alan?