Options

Royal Danube, Berlin and Krakow May 1, 2022

Good afternoon,
Thanks to all of you who post on this discussion board. We have learned a lot and found your reviews helpful and entertaining.

My husband and I are scheduled for the Royal Danube trip on May 1 -- it is our 4th attempt and we are hopeful. I have a few questions that some of you may have had experience with. I realize I can call Tauck with my questions but am curious as to other travelers' experiences.

As an American, when you have been required to show proof of vaccine, have you found they accept proof other than the actual CDC card? We live in Virginia which has our Covid vaccination record by a QR code. Have others used QR codes to show proof? Of course we would also have our CDC cards but just wondering if both would be accepted.

This particular tour is both a land and river tour. I am wondering about gratuities for the tour director since gratuities are covered on river cruises but not on land tours. When you tip the tour director, what currency have you used? American dollars? Euros?

We are extending our stay in Krakow for a couple days after our tour ends. What have you read or experienced if you test positive when you are getting ready to return to the states? I know that Tauck will help arrange for testing before we leave but what happens if it is positive? Will Tauck help with a suitable place to stay until we test negative? I have read that the travel industry would like to stop the testing to enter the US if you are vaccinated but not sure if that will happen by the middle of May.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I enjoy reading other people's posts and discussions but have not seen these issues addressed.

Comments

• Options

I'm scheduled to take this trip this summer, so I hope that you post a report. I, too, have booked a few extra days in Krakow and am thinking of adding a couple of days in Warsaw. If anyone has been there, I'd love suggestions of what to see and do (I am planning on visiting the Warsaw ghetto.)

• Options

Birder49,

It is my understanding that the only acceptable proof of vaccination format for Americans traveling in Europe is the CDC card, and you should be prepared to show the original card, especially as you board your flight(s). I kept all my documentation such as passports, required health affidavits, attestation forms and CDC cards in one place.

Tauck classifies your tour as a riverboat tour and, as such, all gratuitous are included in the up-front price. This includes the land portion of your tour. You are free, of course, to give gratuities as you see fit. I did this on the riverboat tour we took last fall. I was so enamored with some of the ship's crew that I wanted to give them a special "thank you." That was purely my choice, however.

There has been much discussion on the forum regarding what would occur if someone tested positive. I really didn't give it any thought on my trip knowing that Tauck would assist us through the process, whatever that process might be. My philosophy is that I can't control what might happen, but I can control my behavior by protecting myself as much as possible.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip and please post a review afterwards.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Birder49
    6:42PM in Royal Danube, Berlin & Krakow
    . . . have you found they accept proof other than the actual CDC card? We live in Virginia which has our Covid vaccination record by a QR code. Have others used QR codes to show proof? Of course we would also have our CDC cards but just wondering if both would be accepted.

When you tip the tour director, what currency have you used? American dollars? Euros?

What have you read or experienced if you test positive when you are getting ready to return to the states?

I don't recall ever hearing about a CDC card not being accepted where it matters- airport, immigration, etc. Others can will weigh in on this but, initially there was some reluctance, especially by restaurants, etc. outside the US to accept the CDC card since it carries no means of verification like an official doc with QR code does, and has been widely counterfeited. We plan to take both since our healthcare provider has a nice form online.

Tipping will be covered in the e-Green Book which you should be getting 60 days prior (in about two weeks?) to your departure. Since tipping is "voluntary" you are free to tip in the currency of your choice, even a mix of currencies. Some use it as an opportunity to unload excess foreign currency before heading home. A TD will be able to use or convert currency of any country visited on that tour. Also, remember, your TD may not be from the US or country of the tour. We had a TD on the Best of Ireland who was from New Zealand and a TD in southern Africa who was from Nova Scotia.

There have only been a few reported instances of Taucktourians testing positive at the end of a tour and unable to travel home, most recently on the Antarctica small ship tours. The incidents have been discussed very recently, one just today. At least one or more posts have been by people who have been in that situation and had to to quarantine. You don't need to go back too far in the forum. Quarantine procedures will vary by tour and country and US policy in effect at the time- essentially your insurance and Tauck pick up the tab for meals and lodging during quarantine.

The question I have not seen discussed is how long this coverage lasts if you have a post stay longer than a day or two. You might want to give Tauck a call.

• Options

On tipping, it says on the webpage for the tour under Tauck Value Includes "All gratuities to ship staff, drivers, local guides, Tauck Directors and Tauck Cruise Director" so yes it's treated like a river cruise even with some land components. No tipping required.

As to currency on land tours, it usually says in the travel documents you get shortly before the tour that the tipping is in US Dollars or the equivalent in the local currency. We typically use USD. We calculate it before we leave home and put the amount away in a separate envelope. Sometimes if it's a currency we don't want to keep e.g. Hungarian - we may include some of that in the mix. I usually hold on to extra euros hoping to use them on another tour.

We did 2 tours last Sep and in Switzerland almost no one asked to see anything (though that might have changed shortly after we left) and in France pretty much every restaurant and museum asked to see our CDC cards which were sufficient. Now that my health provider has the ability to generate a QR code I'd probably put it on my phone and have a hardcopy. As far as I can tell Americans can't get the EU digital covid certificate.

Requirements are a fast changing thing and depends on each country - even when they have general agreement in the EU. Detailed implementation depends on the country. So far I haven't seen anyone report being quarantined in Europe but I'm sure some have and again it's going to depend on the country.

As for these issues being discussed, actually they have. Some probably too much. But likely not in this particular tour category. It's always useful to read threads even for other tours. River cruises especially have a lot of similarities for everything except itinerary.

Best of luck on your cruise.

• Options

MCD,

I have not taken this trip but have been to Krakow and Warsaw independently to honor those who perished in the Holocaust and to keep their memory alive. There are many, many memorial sites throughout Poland whose purpose is to not only pay respect to those who were exterminated but to also memorialize the significant contributions Jews made to Polish culture.

Have a safe and wonderful tour!

• Options

Thank you MCD, Kfnknfzk, AlanS and Claudia for your useful comments.  You have helped me think through some of my questions.  I just want to be prepared as best as I can but have read many times on this forum that we just have to be flexible!

My question about the CDC card wasn't very clear..... I am wondering if they will accept the Va Dept of Health QR code (or print out) if we do not have a CDC card up to date with the booster info.  We are both vaccinated and boosted but Walgreens did not give my husband a CDC card for the booster. (he had accidentally laminated our original CDC cards)  I got my booster a few weeks later and they gave me a second card with the booster info.       So our situation is that he really has no CDC proof that he was boosted.    We just didnt think it was a big deal since we had the Va Dept of Health QR code .... until we started getting things together for our trip.
    I plan to go to our Walgreens today and see if they will help with this but am trying to cover all our bases.

Now if we can just avoid a war in Europe.

Thanks again for all your helpful advice!

• Options

Birder, you should be able to get a replacement. My husband mislaid his card between his first shot and second. Since they had his records they created a new card with the info on it. Either the site where he got his shots or his healthcare provider should be able to help. Good luck.

I would be interested if anyone had used a QR code instead of CDC card.

• Options

Yes, Birder49. You should insist on a replacement card. My husband's name was incorrectly entered on his CDC card resulting in his name being turned into a female name. The nurse crossed it out and spelled it correctly. I politely told her that I could not accept that card. I elevated it to a supervisor and she immediately generated a new card and apologized profusely.

• Options

Thanks all for your support.
    I went to Walgreens this morning and they were very nice about giving me a CDC card with my husband's booster info.   I was concerned because the last few times I was there it was a mad house with people lined up for vaccines,children crying and frantic employees.   The woman who helped me said no one is getting vaccines nowadays so she had lots of time to help me.  I am not foolish enough to think it is because our whole community has gotten their vaccines.  Sadly that is not the case where we live.

Alan, thanks for reminding me about the e-green book coming.  I actually have the print green book from our first scheduled  trip in June 2020 that was cancelled.  Tauck had sent them out before cancelling but I'm sure there are changes.  We were all so hopeful. 

Kfnknfzk,  I agree that we need to honor and keep the memories alive of those who died during the Holocaust.  I try to support those working so hard to do so.

Claudia, you always have such a positive point of view in your postings and I learn so much.

MCD, how smart of you to add on Warsaw to your trip. 
    Thanks again everyone!

• Options

Birder49... My wife & I took this trip when it first started, I believe 2017. Enjoyed it very much. When u have Breakfast at the Adlon ask to be seated in one of the small side rooms that looks out at the Brandenberg Gate. Auschwitz was very moving. After boarding the bus to return to the hotel, everyone was quiet and somber. Our TD then passed out small glasses and bottles of Polish vodka. It helped to lighten the mood. The dinner 400 ft. below ground at the salt mine was quite nice. Have a great trip.

• Options

When we arrived in Warsaw a day early we took a cookery class which was great fun, it included a vodka tasting and Polish meat and cheese and we made pirogies. Found the class on Viator, I think I posted info on the forum when we took the land tour.

• Options

Wildcat03, Thanks for the information on the tour. We are looking forward to the trip. I can understand the vodka for the bus ride back to town.
    British, We will not be in Warsaw tbut I suspect we could find something similar in Krakow. Thanks for the idea!

• Options
    edited March 2022

I’ll be on the same tour only 2 months later. Doing some searching l find some conflicting information. One current Polish website says anyone from a non-Schengen country requires an Antigen or PCR test to enter the country. Now technically we will be coming from a Schengen country, just we are not citizens of a Schengen country. Neither do we have the opportunity to get a test before reaching Poland.
    Another current Polish website states that Canadian and US citizens just need to prove being double vaccinated.

Does anyone have the right info on this?
    Can someone from TAUCK chime in with the correct info !!!
    The reason I am asking here is that l am in Mexico 🇲🇽For another 6 weeks and don’t enjoy 45 minutes on hold at Tauck.
    TIA

• Options
    edited March 2022

Hello RGM2. As your tour is months off, it’s probably too early for an up to date answer. You could email Tauck instead of calling as your tour is not imminent. It can sometimes take a couple of weeks to get a reply.
    I’m beginning to think that maybe Poland will be taken off Tauck itineraries in view of all the refugees going there….although it’s hard to know if the reports we see in the media in places like Warsaw are an accurate portrayal because it looks so chaotic on the TV. I guess Tauck’s ‘ on the ground ‘ people will be monitoring that.

• Options

We are on this trip in late August ;rebooked from last year.International situation can change quickly both with regard to COVID-19 virus and the Ukraine situation.We are just going to wait and see as it gets closer to our trip.Hoping we could go to Krakow which is one of the main reasons to go on this trip.

• Options

We are still planning on going on this trip and are going through the motions of getting ready to travel.
    My question is -- for several months Tauch highly recommended that travelers get a PCR test before leaving. I recall reading it on several locations on their web site. Now I cannot find it mentioned . Is anyone aware that they have changed that?
    I know I can call and ask but thought I would start here.
    Thanks!

• Options

It was there a few days ago but has now disappeared. If the country you are traveling to does not required a PCR test, then I would not get one, because what would you do if you get a feast and is positive? Are you going to still go, or fess up and cancel your tour?
    Of course, because this voluntary requirement has now disappeared, it does mean that there is a bigger chance that there might be fellow travelers or yourself on the tour that have Covid but are symptomless. So it is more necessary than ever that you protect yourself and wear a mask when appropriate. We found that even when masks were required by Tauck, some people did not wear masks despite reminders from the TD. This was a US tour, so no one needed to test at the end of the trip. Just this week, a forum member reported they were on a tour where three people tested positive at the end of a tour. We too have been on a tour where three people tested positive at the end and had to quarantine.

• Options

Thank you British. We dont mind getting a PCR test just trying to figure out logistics of getting it in the time frame. Ironically, we just got an email from Tauck reviewing the lastest travel requirements. I am very happy they are still requiring vaccines.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file