Options

Anyone been on this tour or South Africa?

2»

Comments

• Options

AlanS - So if I understood your key you believe the times to Seattle on Turkish (Cairo-IST-Vancouver-Seattle) are about the same as through Doha on Qatar. 20 minutes shorter on Qatar. Plus, based on mil’s data flights on Emirates would be an hour less than the Qatar flights. I didn’t see any times for the Seattle to Cairo comparison.

What is clear, is the times from the east coast are much shorter than from the west coast regardless of route.

• Options

I remember analyzing some C# code that was easier to understand than this. :)

• Options

JohnS - I agree, but AlanS programs in Assembly Language. :D

• Options
    edited August 2022

Smiling Sam
    August 5
    . . . . What is clear, is the times from the east coast are much shorter than from the west coast regardless of route.

To all but Australia/NZ and the Far East! :D:D and of course it doesn't help that you live in a place like AZ or NC and not near a major gateway!! :D

Slightly off, topic but I forgot to mention, Delta just gave us each 10,000 free Skymiles as they explained in an email, for all the disruptions" during our trip last May to Athens! On our Skymiles accounts it shows up euphemistically as a "Summer Goodwill Gesture." "
    Whoop-de-do! :# You know how far that will get us!?!?!?!?

That "generous" Skymiles compensation in no way makes up for the following:

• 4 cancelled flights
    • a denied boarding because Delta re-booked us in stand-by on an over-sold flight
    • numerous re-bookings, almost could not keep up
    • An uncompensated night at a Hampton Inn at RDU
    • uncompensated gas and mileage expenses to drive home and back to the airport the next day due to a 24+ hr cancellation/re-booking.
    • Re-booked flight that added a layover in CDG instead of non-stop flight from JFK to Athens
    • The shear terror seeing our bags still sitting on the tarmac after all bags had been loaded, the cargo doors button up, and the plane to Athens prepared for push back!!
    • Euro-business class seats instead true lay-flat business class seats we would have had on the original flight
    • Arrival in Athens 2+ days late
    • 1+ hr time wasted waiting and looking for our bags because they were immediately sent to lost baggage instead of being placed on the carousel!
    • Missed two pre-tour nights in Athens
    • Missed a nighttime Segway tour of Athens, a full day tour to Delphi, and a walking tour of Athens
    • no-voucher or compensation offered by Delta for a room at JFK when, at 2 am, the flight to RDU was finally delayed to the next day.
    • No hotels available (Memorial Day weekend) so we had no other option than to spend an all-nighter on benches and chairs at JFK.
    • Final insult to injury- though they managed to get us on a flight in business class we were not seated together.

10K Skymiles for all that?? Seriously???

• Options

It should be 100,000 points if not more. You can write to the CEO and see where that gets you.

• Options

We had an ‘experience’ with BA several years ago. Delayed three days in London, lost luggage, flew another airline to Stockholm. I just paid for everything and called Tauck and AON. I was so angry with BA I did not want to talk to them. While talking to AON I asked if I needed to file a claim with BA. They said, no we will cover everything. Tauck covered part of it and AON covered the rest. Never talked to BA. We were very fairly compensated for our three day stay in London. Eloise actually thought we got an ‘extra’ vacation. We had several hours of extreme stress but ended up having a great time.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Bottom line, we didn't miss any of the tour, but I may give AON a call.

• Options

Gosh Alan, I never realized you didn’t talk to the insurance people, is there a time limit to make a claim? Hope you can get some compensation.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Our situation was a bit different. We missed the first two or three days in Stockholm, had to buy a hotel for three nights (no hotels available (;-)), had to buy tickets on SAS cuz BA was shut down, had to buy a few clothes because they sent our luggage to Frankfurt then to our home. We also bought toiletries. In this circumstance Tauck and AON paid for different things, but they covered everything … the suite at the Radisson Blu Bloomsbury, the private car we got from the concierge at the Sofitel to and from London (taxi line was miles long with all flights cancelled), and they paid for all of our meals including beverages. As Eloise said, it was almost like getting an extra vacation. And, as said, we never filed a claim with, nor even talked to … BA. Actually, talking to BA during the event was not possible. Phone lines jammed, and they had guards on the elevators to prevent entrance to the ticketing area.

I must add that I’ve flown the ‘livery’ of ten airlines, while getting paid by five airlines … the others were on a contract basis … and I have never seen an ‘incident’ handled as poorly as that British Airways shut down a few years ago. Unbelievable. Even the SAS manager we talked to about trying to retrieve our luggage was in disbelief. He said all of the BA management had just ‘disappeared’.

• Options

But the real question is yoke or side-stick? :D:D