Options

Shackleton’s ship found

I’ve been interested in the history of Antarctic Explorarion for a long time, this news is amazing!

Endurance: Shackleton's lost ship is found in Antarctic https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60662541

Comments

• Options

I saw it on the morning news. Fascinating!

• Options

I read something about the “Endurance” and the previous failed search. They not only did not find it they lost their submarine (submersible). I knew that a new search began around the time we were leaving Antarctica. Amazing stuff.

• Options
    edited March 2022

In 2016 researchers found H.M.S. Terror, one of two ships lost during the ill-fated 1850 Franklin expedition to find the illusive Northwest Passage. The other ship, the Erebus was found in 2014, lying in 36 feet of water off King William Island. They were both state-of-the-art for their time and largely intact when found. While a bit older than Shackleton's Endurance, they were found in similar condition, and from a similarly failed exploration, but in this case all hands were lost. Like Endurance, both are sitting upright, but in much shallower water in the Canadian Arctic. There was a good article about it in Nat Geo in 2019.

• Options

Great find. Very exciting

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file