Options

Time for Angel's Landing Hike

Hi

We're going on this tour in late May/early June.

For those that have gone, do you think there's enough time to fit in the Angels Landing Hike? If not, how about the Narrows up to the beginning of Wall Street?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Options

Haven't been on this tour, but hiked Angel's Landing about 5 years ago on a trip through Utah. As I recall it took about 3 hours and is fairly strenuous with some steep sections, so you should be in good shape. And you may be aware that it's been rated by some web sites as one of the top ten scariest hikes in the world!

https://www.utah.com/articles/post/breathtaking-but-deadly-how-to-safely-hike-angels-landing/#:~:text=The truth is that Angels,are no guardrails, after all.

• Options

Last September the schedule on day 7 was breakfast at 8:15, lunch at 11:30, depart Zion at 12:30. Your schedule may be different but it would be tight. Perhaps if you brought trail food and skipped breakfast. And won the lottery for a before 8:00am permit to hike Angel's Landing.

• Options

Having just been to Zion with Tauck and had a lecture from an expert climber at Zion who explained the complexity and challenge of the hike, you must be an excellently climber. Good luck to you and please tell us if you are successful! Wow!

• Options

There's no "climbing" involved. It's just careful, and at times strenuous, hiking along a narrow trail with big drop-offs at times.

This is as "climbing" as it gets:

• Options

I was told that when it is busy, the chains you have to hold means people have to by pass each other in the narrow areas and it can be tricky/dangerous Great photos

• Options

Thanks all.

Re climbing, strenuous, etc - appreciate the input and am well aware. As BKMD mentioned, there's no technical climbing on this hike.

Will be nice getting outside of the Tauck "protective bubble" for a bit!

If the schedule is consistent with Wayside's post, Angel's Landing looks doable if we were able to get one of the earliest start times in the lottery.

Appreciate everyone input.

Andy

• Options

Good luck with your quest, Andrew. I checked my notes and it was actually 6 1/2 years ago (Oct 2015) I was last there. There was no lottery at that time, and it wasn't very crowded being off-season. We stayed at Zion Lodge, which is very convenient to the trail head, and had a pass to drive in the park, too, because we stayed there.

One of the reasons I've never done a US Tauck tour is the limited time available for more than a cursory glance in the Nat'l Parks, when they have so much to offer.

• Options

Thanks BKMD.

Fortunately the lottery opens 4/1, so will know in advance if this will work out. Looks like afternoon of arrival is another possibility, if we get there early enough to start the hike.

Similarly, we're scheduled to stay at the Zion Lodge.

Fingers crossed we get a lottery spot...from there, will coordinate with our Tour Director to make it happen.

This is our first domestic trip with Tauck - we got tired of repeatedly having to cancel our international trips the last couple years (first world problems).

Andy

• Options

BKMD,

I literally am dizzy just looking at that first photo of the hairpin turns. Time for my ginger tea!

• Options

Yes, those heights make my liver quiver.

• Options

I’ve not done that trail but many sections look as tough as Petra! I haven’t been on or posted on the forum in a few days- been busy on J & E. I’m happy to report, I successfully completed back-to-back treks at Petra: to the Monastery followed by the Wadi al-Farasa trail to the High Place of Sacrifice (from the back side) back down to the street of Facades to the hotel: total that day = 14.7 mi! My legs paid for it for the next two days. More detail and photos when I get more time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file