Options

Is anyone else having problems understanding the vaccines required for travel?

My husband and I are both fully vaccinated with 2 additional booster shots. We are booked on the Morocco Trip, and will be flying from NY to Paris (to switch planes), then continuing to Rabat. To our knowledge, we are not required to be tested to switch planes in Paris and land in Rabat, Morocco. We understand we need our CDC Vaccination cards on hand.

When the Morocco Tour ends, we are spending an additional night in Marrakech. Tauck is Covid testing on Day 9 of the tour that ends on Day 10. We leave Morocco on Day 11, so Tauck's testing will not be in the correct time frame for us. The next day, we are flying to Lisbon, Portugal, for a few days on our own. We are reading conflicting requirements regarding entering Lisbon and Covid testing. Some sources say we need to be tested, others say we do not. Will Tauck provide testing on Day 10 for those people who are staying 1 day later? If not, we are going to have to handle this ourselves. We understand these requirements are changing frequently, but how do you know which is correct?

After Lisbon, we know we need to be Covid tested to return to the U.S. Since we are on our own, we assume there are drug stores, etc. that can provide this testing. This test has to be 1 day before your flight departs. If we have an early morning flight, is this doable?

Any recent travelers who can provide some assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options

From my experience in December 2021, my husband and I stayed in Cairo an extra day because of flight times and Tauck took care of the arrangements to have the Doctor come to our room the next afternoon and test us. We did end up tracking him down through the front desk and got it done. On our next trip, Africa in August, we decided to only go in early and leave when the group was leaving because of the worry and stress.

• Options

This is a tricky one mainly because the need for Americans to have a negative test to enter Portugal right now is unclear. Even the US Embassy has wishy-washy wording. Up until about a month ago it was very definite that you had to have either:

PCR / NAAT test 72 hours before boarding or
    Rapid Antigen / TRAg test 24 hours before boarding.

Now the embassy basically says that maybe your CDC card is enough but can't guarantee it so you're safer to have test results. There are are lots of reports of no one asking for test results and the systems that United and Delta use to upload health documents before your flight (Delta Fly Ready) don't even ask for them. So.... right now it's anyone's guess. I've been watching this for weeks since we are going to Portugal in Oct and I've been watching this with no clear answer.

However, when it comes to your trip - if it is required the TD will work with you to arrange the right timing. You may not be the only one in your group needing testing on a different date.

As to where in Portugal to get the test to come home to the US, you can either talk to the staff at your hotel there or bring test kits with your from the US. The test kits have to be proctored (someone watches you over a video link) then provides the documentation you need for the airline.

The Points Guy website just published an updated article on tests that can be used for this
    https://thepointsguy.com/news/at-home-covid-testing-travel/

Be sure to read up on all the requirements on the proctored test especially booking a time for the test video procedure and what tech you need - smartphone, tablet, PC.

• Options

I have a friend stranded in Portugal right now with Covid. Thank goodness before she went she managed to get a Paxlovid script form her doctor before she went. She arrived ten days ago and did take a PCR and antigen test before she went. Four days later she felt unwell and tested positive. Fortunately, I had read here on the forum that you need to get a letter from a Dr that you have tested positive so that your quarantine date start is documented. The quarantine time has now been reduced down to seven days she found out. Other than that, she has found the US embassy useless and the Portuguese one has no one who speaks English. She did find out that quarantining is on the honor system. I haven’t heard from her for a couple of days so I hope she is Ok

• Options

Someone on the Rick Steve’s forum posted that Lisbon Portugal airport is randomly checking 25% of incoming non-EU passengers for proof of a negative Covid test. This may be why many US tourists are posting that they were never asked upon arrival for documentation of a negative test. Officially Portugal still is not recognizing a CDC vaccination card… only EU and reciprocal countries’ vax proof. US is not a reciprocal country so a negative test is required for entry…. But often not asked for according to most people posting. And they say their CDC card showing up-to-date vaccination was accepted.

• Options

It doesn't totally explain why the airlines aren't checking though.

• Options

The airlines just want the passengers these days and their staff not to be assaulted.
    I must say that I feel trapped with the government’s requirement for testing to get back in our own country.
    My friend I mention above for Covid here in the US but can’t get back in, it doe’s make scientific sense.

• Options

On October 7, the last day of the Alps and Dolomites tour, I will be flying from Zurich to Amsterdam. I will spend the night at the Hilton Hotel at the airport. My Delta flight departs around 11:00 a.m for Boston. I am hoping that the Tauck tour director at the hotel in Lucerne will offer me a choice. The PCR would be much better and less stressful. This tour just began in May and I hope to hear about testing at the hotel and similar situations.

• Options

Wanderingstar, you might want to research the cost of a pcr test in Switzerland. I just checked and it's about 180 Swiss francs - results in 6 hours if before 10 am. About 440 if you want results in 2 hours. You'd be better off using a proctored test kit. The points guy website has a recent article on that.

• Options

I don’t know why you would want a pcr test if all that is necessary is an antigen test, which is quicker and cheaper.

• Options

I think he's concerned his flight home is outside the 1 day window for an antigen test.

Wanderings you might want to check CDC guidelines. I think there is some wiggle room. The TD might also be able to arrange the test for 7 Oct before you leave. That would be within the 1 day limit (CDC uses days not hours).

• Options

We are in the same boat as wanderingstar - I am hoping the US will drop the testing by then - we are basically testing and quarantining for a common cold at this point. As a nurse, I've worked through this whole pandemic and we are still having to double mask at work - but this testing to re-enter the USA is crazy. I'd rather them make us all wear masks again on planes than have to test. (We actually will wear masks on the plane).

• Options

This from the CDC website:

"Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability. "

There are provisions if a delay is caused by reasons not under your control (weather, aircraft mechanical problems, or flight availability). If it's just because you preferred it that doesn't count.

• Options

It’s better to get an antigen test, just in case you have had a recent Covid infection and didn’t know because a PCR test can remain positively for a longer period of time.

• Options

terrilynn, I agree. Can enter the USA via land with no testing. Monkeypox is next.

• Options

No, Monkeypox should not be a threat, the Smallpox vaccine can be used, Most of the Tauck travelers will already be vaccinated and just need a booster

• Options

Re monkeypox, a smallpox vaccination provides some immunity. I suspect most Tauck travelers are old enough to have had the vaccination as a child.