Options

Savor vs Joy

edited June 2022 in Travel Tips

I am considering a river cruise for next year which can be taken on either the MS Savor or MS Joy. The travel dates would be identical but going in opposite directions. Based on what I read about each ship, they seem very similar with the only distinction being that the Savor was built in 2014 and remodeled in 2020 while the Joy was built in 2016 and has not been remodeled to date.

For those with direct experience with these ships, is there any advantage to one versus the other? The only thing I thought of was that since the Savor was remodeled in 2020 it may have a slightly more modern feel but that may not even be noticeable.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022

Savor, Inspire, Grace, and Joy are sister ships, and for all intents and purposes they are identical.

• Options

For me it’s the touring off the ship that is important

• Options

And the Grace.

I hadn't read anything about their being remodeled but if so it's most likely just things like new curtains, bedding, upholstery. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has been on them this year whether any of the 4 ships have been upgraded in any way.

Between the two ships I'd pick based on direction. If you aren't adding days at the beginning and/or end, which part of the itinerary do you want to be jet lagged. If you are adding, where do you want to add? Depending on the cities involved, the Tauck pre/post cruise hotel prices can be very different. Ex, on our last river cruise we opted to start in Budapest and end in Amsterdam. We took our free Gift of Time in Budapest plus added another night at our expense there. The hotel in Budapest was much less expensive than the Tauck hotel in Amsterdam and it gave us more time to see a city we'd never been to before.

• Options

Although the excursions are a key part of a river cruise, the time spent on the ship and even in your cabin is significant and should not be discounted. Maximgr’s question is certainly valid.

• Options

Yes you are correct, too much time on the ships, that’s why I prefer land tours while I have the stamina to change hotels.

• Options

Thanks for the feedback, all!

Claudia, I was speaking to a Tauck agent yesterday, and she gave essentially the same advice as you in terms of picking based on direction and where I want to use my gift of time. Since I typically prefer to use the GOT at the beginning and the hotel in Vienna looks to be a bit nicer, that helps me decide - MS Joy it is!

Thanks again, appreciate it!

• Options

That is why there is vanilla and chocolate. We prefer the river cruises. Also, I prefer pistachio 😁

• Options

Max, our group is doing the same thing next year on a Christmas cruise. We want our GoT in Vienna not Nurnberg.

Yes, longer river cruises do have some daylight cruising when it's nice to have a comfortable cabin. Shorter cruises don't. They have to pack in too much to waste time during the day.

• Options

I concur with BSP51 that there are so many variables beyond excursions that enhance a river cruise. And don't forget the camaraderie of fellow travelers, albeit much more restrained these days.

• Options

Claudia, I think we are talking about the same tour! I have been waiting to book anything for 2023 until I have clarity on the status of my upcoming 2022 tours, but will need to do so by the end of July to secure the gift of time.

• Options

Another factor to possibly consider when deciding the direction of a tour is airfare expense and the number of airport transfers involved.

• Options

I am hoping that if our tours are cancelled after the July deadline that out prior gift of times will be honored. I have five tours booked. Surely I can’t be expected to book more, that’s a lot of money stuck in Dreamsaver etc

• Options

Maxi, a group of 6 of us booked one of the Danube Christmas cruises next year. Selling point was going to the Christmas markets without our spouses.

• Options

Was on the first sailing of the Savor since in April. The ship was in great ship. Everything looked new so during its covid timeout the owners did a great job of taking care of any outstanding housekeeping issues.

• Options

I have just been reading this exchange and I'm not sure what is meant by the "gift of time?" Could someone explain it to me. It will save a phone call and a long wait on the phone. Thanks

• Options

Once you have been on your first tour, you are entitled to a free pre or post stay on a tour. Your tour must be booked by a certain date and is subject to availability. For next year, you have to book by the end of next month, July 31st. Of you are so,some who uses a travel agent, you might not get told this

• Options

I knew of the GOT from previous times but my travel agent made sure I was aware. Using a good travel agent has always been a plus for us.

• Options

We were on the first "paying travelers" cruise of the MS. Joy and she is a wonderful ship. The week before us was a Tauck staff and VIP cruise.