Options

Big change to itinerary

edited June 2022 in Grand Alaska

We just received a message from Tauck. We have already had one major change to the itinerary involving one canceled port of call for another on the ship and now a land change. This tour is becoming nothing like the one we booked

We are looking forward to hosting you on your Tauck “Grand Alaska” journey! Covering 663,000
square-miles, Alaska is America’s largest state, and it also boasts a longer coastline than the
other 49 U.S. states combined. Your Tauck itinerary will explore Alaska’s interior wilderness and
its coastal environs, pairing a seven-day land journey with a seven-day coastal cruise. An
enriching and memorable experience awaits!
We are contacting you today with an update to your scheduled activities for Days 6 – 8 of your
itinerary, made necessary by the just-announced, temporary closure of the Copper River
Princess Wilderness Lodge in Copper Center, Alaska (your normally featured accommodations
for Nights 6 and 7 of your journey). It will remain closed from June 17, 2022, through the
remainder of the season.
With the lodge’s closure and with no other local accommodations available, we will be extending
your exploration of Alaska further into the state’s interior with a two-night stay at the Princess
Riverside Lodge in Fairbanks in river-view rooms. All your meals in Fairbanks will also be
included. Our tour architects are busy choreographing the activities you’ll enjoy in and around
Fairbanks, and you can rest assured that our many established relationships there and our deep
local knowledge (we’ve included Fairbanks on other Alaska itineraries in the past) will allow us
to craft an equally engaging and enjoyable experience for you.
Among your activities on Days 6 – 8, you may look forward to visiting the University of Alaska’s
Fairbanks Museum of the North and the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, one of the largest and most
remarkable pipeline systems in the world. You’ll also enjoy a scenic drive en route from Denali
National Park to Fairbanks, a Riverboat Discovery Cruise and a traditional fresh-from-the-sea
Salmon Bake for an authentic taste of daily life. On Day 8 we have added a flight from
Fairbanks to Anchorage, where great views of the wilderness abound, and a visit to the Alaska
Native Heritage Center outside of Anchorage. You’ll embark your Princess ship in Anchorage as
scheduled for your seven-night coastal cruise

I think the Native Heritage center is one of the pre tour things we were going to do, now it looks like it is a plan B

Comments

• Options

Obviously, some things are beyond their control and you have to give them credit for coming up with last minute alternatives. It must be difficult for a group, with respect to accomodations during peak season.

I visited the Native heritage Center when I was in Alaska in 2019 (not with Tauck). It's a worthwhile stop.

• Options

Serious staffing issue.

• Options

The last minute, alternative itinerary seems quite nice, in my opinion.

• Options

We thought that might be the case. We really chose a dumb year to do this tour! At the time we booked it, we were still leary of traveling out of the US

• Options

British - It's not easy when you are counting on an itinerary and end up with another but you are good with rolling with the punches and Tauck will make it up to you, I'm sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file