How much walking is required for the London/Paris trip?

My sister and I are going on the London/Paris trip in early October. I have been having trouble with my legs/knees. I was wondering about how much walking and stair climbing is involved. I have a walker available if needed, hopefully it won't be necessary. I am determined to get into the best health I can. Just trying to look at it from all angles.

Comments

• It's rated as an Activity 2 tour - 2 — Guests should be able to easily walk one to two miles, which may include climbing one or two flights of stairs and walking over uneven pavement, groomed hiking trails or cobblestones. Standing up to one hour or more may be required.

I haven't done this specific tour but have been almost all the sights on it. A fair amount of walking though not too many stairs (several of the places have elevators for those that need them).

You might want to skip the Montmatre tour. I remember the walking part being hilly. There will be some steps likely to get down to the cruise ship on the Seine.

• Rebecca Moser Hi.
    Impossible to go to Europe and not walk a lot , but it will be city walk , less hiking etcc.. also, there is always the metro-buses-taxi's, etc.
    Stairs you will always fine some...but there is also elevators avail. - just start walking now at home so your knees will get strong and use to being more active.

• edited July 2022

I haven’t taken this tour either but been to both cities. If you have trouble with your knees and legs and are talking about a walker, then I don’t think this tour is for you. I note you have taken a tour with Tauck before, can you gage from that experience whether you are likely to be able to keep up with everyone? You could also talk with Tauck and see what they say. Also, what does your dr think?

• Also keep in mind that Tauck says upfront it "regrets that it cannot provide individual assistance to a guest for walking, wheelchairs, motorized scooters, dining or other personal needs. Guests needing such assistance must be accompanied by an able companion who will assist them. " I have seen TDs do what they can to assist - helping people find the elevators, on river cruises having slower walking groups, etc - but it's best not to count on it.

• Europe (in general) is a little difficult for the mobility challenged. The Tauck restaurants will have elevators, but MANY other restaurants you encounter will likely not have the restrooms on the same floor. Up a floor, through the janitors closet, down a hallway, up another stairway, etc. Also lots of cobblestones everywhere. Also you'll need to get on/off buses. The stairs in the back of the bus are very steep. Good motivation to get/stay active! I hope you and your sister enjoy your trip, but start training now.

• I have taken this trip, but the itinerary has changed somewhat since I took it, so my remarks include observations from the tour and visits on my own to London and Paris.

On the day you visit Windsor Castle, you will catch an early train to Windsor and walk from the Windsor train station uphill to get in line to enter the castle grounds. As I recall in the castle itself, as is typical of historic buildings, the stairsteps are shallower than modern stairs, meaning their are more stairs to achieve the same rise. The castle tour itself was not guided so you could take it at your own pace so long as you were back at the train station on time.

The bus is not able to drop you directly at some attractions. For example, I remember it seemed to be a good distance to walk to get to the London Eye.

Cetammi is correct, WCs are often located on a floor above or below the dining room and these stairs are often quite steep.

Versailles and the Louvre are both very large and involve significant walking.

Montmartre can be accessed by funicular or by climbing the many stairs. I assume Tauck would allow you the option to choose between these methods, but I would confirm that.

The tour moves at a not leisurely walking speed.

Wishing you well

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file