Deleted Post

edited September 2022 in Africa

Discussion deleted

Comments

• CaraBeth, don’t you think you will be going back to Africa, how about Galapagos, Costa Rica, Patagonia, we’ve worn ours all those places. I buy cheap ones, they are lightweight and I don’t have to worry if anything happens to them. Any thin long pants or capris in neutral colors will do. If you look at the photos people have posted here, there are many people who don’t follow the safari ‘rules’ and it is fine. Most of the animals are color blind but if you get tsetse flies, it’s true they are attracted to black and dark blue.
    You can find petite length safari style pants on line. When I needed waterproof pants for our Patagonia trip, I went to try them on at our local REI and then ordered the petites on line. You can also find own brand safari clothing at places like REI which are cheaper and just as good, especially if you think you will never wear them again.
    Another solution, leave them behind for the locals. On our first Africa trip, one of the guys wanted to trade for the t shirt I was wearing so badly, but I couldn’t give it to him because I just had on underwear underneath it. Someone else wanted to buy my cheap Walmart safari type watch, which I was willing to give him but my hubby said no as it was not the end of our trip

• edited September 2022

I agree with British. I have also worn my K&T safari clothes on other trips- Botswana, SA, Zambia; Peru & Galapagos; Jordan& Egypt. If we ever do any of the Southwest tours I will wear some of it there. Because I can find them local, and often on sale, I get the Columbia PFG brand. All my pants have zip-off lower legs- I have used that feature regularly.

However, it certainly is good of you ask if anyone is interested, especially if your touring days may be numbered. A number of people sell their safari clothes on Ebay.

• Thank you for your thoughts. I'm just not crazy abt safari clothes. Thought someone else who travels with Tauck might enjoy them.

• Let's hope you have a great tour, find that your safari clothes worked out well, and ultimately find a someone that will get more good service out them. FYI, we don't wear them around town, etc. so it is easy to say that we spent money something with limited use, and eventually, when I'm gone, hopefully later than sooner, my kids will have to dispose of them. :D

• British - What kinds of things/clothes do they like to trade on this tour? We just booked for 2023.

• T shirts….there is nothing more cute than a snotty nosed toddler running around in a Sponge Bob SquarePants t shirt and naked below the waist, baseball caps. I would never expect payment, maybe trade if they ask to trade, but otherwise just give stuff. This should never be done to anyone begging at the side of the road, however cute they look. Wait until you visit a school or village and give them to the chief who will distribute fairly. School supplies, some people take soccer balls, remember to take the blowing up device with them. We took frisbees once which seemed well appreciated. On another tour we visited a small orphanage run by an amazing woman who cooked for us we gave money there. If there are any items you don’t want to take home with you, just leave them in your rooms, make it obvious you meant to leave them.
    We get our most personal reward by donating money to the Fame hospital,clinic outside of Karatu each year, it’s an amazing place and the standard of care is incredible. I usually ask for our donation to go to the maternity unit for obvious reasons.
    Does anyone else have ideas they have seen? There is one Tauck couple who I believe donated money for a computer lab to one of the schools we visited

• We left some items at the Nairobi hotel. Our Tauck Director told us to leave a note stating that we left these items on purpose. The staff would appreciate the note to prove to management that they did not steal them.

• At the beginning of the tour, our TD mentioned that he will be collecting unopened toiletries as well as other items (shoes, tees etc) to be donated as needed. Also before we visited the school, we stopped at a large supermarket - it was a good opportunity to buy pencils, markers, crayons). Again all was given to our TD and distributed along with stuff brought from home (I.e. soccer balls and the ‘thing’ for inflating, school supplies, etc). All was appreciated.