Ultimate Alps & Dolomites Review (Including Oberammergau Passion Play) Part 1

My husband and I returned 2 weeks ago from this trip. Here are our thoughts--
It was our first time overseas since Covid (we have been to Maine & Wyoming during Covid). I am a Nurse Anesthetist & he is a Police Officer - so we were both Vaccinated X4 (NOT with the newest Omicron Specific Vaccine as it came out after we most recently had our 4th vaccine in August) -- HINT - we both came home with COVID.

Overall, our trip was fantastic - great accommodations, guides, and tour, but only average food for the most part.

I'm not going to get into a day by day breakdown - you can read the itinerary on the website - but I will touch on highlights and issues.

We arrived in Munich ONE day pre-tour. Our pickup at the airport was flawless - we arrived on time, as did our luggage (we did have the Apple AirTags) - and our Mercedes ride was waiting for us with the TAUCK sign as we exited with our luggage. We did NOT tip him in addition to what Tauck had already done - and this is always awkward, as it always seems they are waiting for a tip. We are returning in November for a Xmas Market River Cruise and we have EUROS with us from this past trip - so to avoid the awkwardness, we may tip in November - does anyone else struggle with this?

Our Munich stay was nice -we had been to Munich before. Our hotel was outstanding, fantastic location. We arrived early, around 10am - and to our surprise, our room was ready -- again, another awkward tipping situation when they carried our luggage to our room and we didn't tip over what we know Tauck had done. He kind of 'waited' - expecting a tip it seemed. Makes me wonder if the luggage people know we are there with Tauck and they have already been taken care of by Tauck???? Again, when we arrive in Vienna for our pre-stay for our Xmas Market River Cruise, we may tip. What do others do?

We didn't realize it was also opening weekend for Oktoberfest - so there was an incredible parade that lasted over 2 hours right in front of our hotel the next morning. Breakfast at the hotel was typical European and it was a buffet. We ate dinner the night before the tour started at an Italian restaurant I found on TripAdvisor very close to the hotel and it was one of our favorite meals of our 2 week vacation. Our 1st dinner together on the 1st evening of the tour was at the hotel with a PRE-SET menu - only ONE option (except for the 2 people who chose vegetarian) --- I never care for these pre-set dinners with NO choice at all. I did enjoy the Goat Cheese salad, but that was it. The dessert was fair.

The 1st official day of the tour was a bus tour thru Munich, then a walking tour - both very good as usual with Tauck. Then lunch on our own - then we left around 2pm for Oberammergau.

Our guide for the 2 weeks was Anna - she lives in Vienna and she was fabulous.

Oberammergau is where the Passion Play was and all hotels and the meal during the Passion Play is pre-set by the Passion Play committee, so Tauck had nothing to do with our Hotel or Meals for the 2 days in Oberammergau. We lucked out with our hotel - it was very typical German, clean, simple - but NICE - we all had balconies with incredible views - and it was on a lake. The meals were only average - but that is what we expected. Many in our group 'complained' about the hotel - but we were very pleased. Not sure what they expected - it certainly wasn't 5 star - but it was quaint and perfect for what we were expecting.

The next day was our long-awaited Passion Play experience. We arrived in the town late morning, had free time to explore and shop for amazing wood carvings that the town is known for - had a pretty good lunch at a nice hotel there - again only 2 options to choose from - but it was ok (most meals did include beer/wine).

The Play was 5 hours - 2.5 hours, then a 1.5 hour dinner break, then another 2.5 hours. It was all in German - they did have English books to read along with, but most people just took in the experience. The choir and orchestra were absolutely incredible. It runs from May to October and seats 5000 people. It is outside, but covered so weather isn't an issue. It was basically the only time we wore a mask. We had decided we had been so careful re: Covid these past 2 years, that we were just going to go and 'risk' it. We did not wear a mask at the airport or on the plane. The play was VERY crowded and we did wear a mask - but out of 5000 people we saw VERY few others wearing them.

On to Salzburg the next day - one of our favorite European cities. Our hotel was fantastic. But again - dinner the 1st night there was at the hotel with only 2 options to choose from - another disappointment in our meal. Our best meals from the whole 2 weeks were the few lunches/dinners we had on our own. We had decent free-time in Salzburg for 3 days - our tour included Eagles Nest and a Salt Mine - both were very good. We did an after hours tour of the Salt Mine - which was a highlight of the trip - with a dinner and German band in the mine. Both pretty good.

The morning we left Salzburg and headed to the Italian Dolomites - we noticed 2 less people on the bus - our 1st COVID drop outs.

It was their first Tauck tour - I hated it for them. We noticed the lady was sleeping A LOT on the bus the day before when we were touring the Salzburg area - we should have know then something wasn't right.

On the way to the Dolomites- a VERY long day on the bus - we noticed more and more coughing. Anna, our TD, did wear a mask most of time on the bus -- as did 2 ladies from Australia - they were VERY vigilant about masking (and one of them tested positive on our 2nd to last day) --- so . . . seemed Covid is hit or miss with mask-wearing -- more on this later.

One of our excursions in the Dolomites was a jeep ride up to the top of a mountain for lunch - 6 people per jeep - my husband and I were on the younger side of most everyone on this trip - so we climbed into the back of the jeep with a family of 6 who traveled together -- they all ended up with covid which 'may be' how my husband and I got it. -- see part 2

Comments

• Terrilynn - in response to your tipping questions, we generally do not tip the driver, but do tip at the hotel when the luggage is brought to the room.

Thank you for your trip report.

• edited October 2022

Concur that the tipping not- tipping can be awkward. We have sometimes and others not. Some drivers and porters go the extra mile so I don't think it's a bad thing to give them a couple of euros. ( having said that I just looked at the dollar to Euro exchange rate so maybe more than a couple😇)

• cathyandsteve - Anna Reischl -- she's been with Tauck 12 years - she was very very good.

• Might be the Anna I was thinking if about, tall, very sweet, let me know Terrilyn, have a story to share about her.

• Tipping bell boy. On a recent tour, Desert Oasis one, I forget, we had a lovely bellman and my husband decided to tip him, we usually don't because Tauck pays it. The guy said Tauck pays the tip and he refused or take it.

• British - yes, sounds like her - I do have a photo of her I could PM to you

• Yes please..Bit busy just now but will reply

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file