Options

UNESCO Sites within the US

Here's an interesting list, the 24 UNESCO sites within the US and Puerto Rico. For a person that likes to travel, I've done a woeful job at seeing these places. My only lame excuse is that I've been saving places closer to home to visit when I 'get older'. Well guess what, I think I'm losing the race of age vs sights to see. :D

https://thediscoverer.com/blog/the-24-american-unesco-heritage-sites-ranked/XvHyVpKgiwAG5at-?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1836629577&ST=RF_A

Comments

• Options

I've been to a bunch of them. Some don't look particularly interesting to me.

Carlsbad Caverns has been on my list for several years. SE NM has been an EV charging desert until recently. Now it's doable. May go in the Fall when it cools off.

The most underwhelming national park that I've visited is on the list - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

• Options

I have been to sixteen of them, some far more interesting than others.

• Options
    edited June 2023

When in college I hiked many sites in New Mexico, whether UNESCO or not. My favorite was, and still is, Chaco Canyon for its sheer beauty and culture.

I saw no esthetic value in Carlsbad Caverns, but for some the vast emptiness might be appealing.

Correction - I was thinking of White Sands when I made the comment above. I think I was a teenager when my parents took a cross country trip from New York to California and stopped at the caverns. I just remember dripping water and feeling claustrophobic.

• Options

We have been to 16 of them.