Options

Safari Clothing

I've been reading the forums, but I have a few clarification questions for those who have traveled before:

1. I know to avoid black and blue for the bugs. Is it all shades of blue, or only darker/navy colors? Would a light or medium blue be problematic?

2. I haven't been able to find any references about wearing yoga pants on safari drives. Most of my hiking pants are black, but I have many comfortable yoga pants in acceptable colors. Would they be a good option?

We'll be in Tanzania and Kenya

Comments

• Options

light earth tone colors, khaki, etc. would be best

• Options
    1. I would avoid all blue clothing on game drives and anywhere there may be mosquitoes.
    2. Yoga pants are ok (but I would miss having pockets).
  • Options

Light blue clothing is fine. It is not mosquitoes that you worry about being attracted to dark blue and black, it is tsetse flies, a large horse fly type of insect that carry the disease trypanosomiasis or sleeping sickness which is the common name. It is not a nice disease to get. They have a nasty bite and try to suck blood. I have been bitten by one and it hurts! I was wearing socks with a black band and that is where it got me, right through the sock. you don’t always see any at all, but you never know. One time we had them and they all went to the neck of our driver, attracted by his dark skin color.
    Personally, I would not wear yoga pants. I find those too hot in those type of climates. Also, Tanzania has a very conservative approach to clothing, I might suggesting something loose and longer over the top of them, but it is entirely up to you.
    If you are ok carrying the Tauck duffel around the airports before and after the tour begins, just taking that would be fine. Remember,no plastic bags allowed.

• Options

PGH, Hi
    The Blue and Black issue it's mostly in the Kenya & Tanzania region- even more in Serengeti. Yes, try to avoid those, the bites from the tsetse flies are very painful.
    In South Africa it's fine- still black would make you too hot and jeans are too heavy.
    It is better to wear earth colors- Khaki, light green, brown, beige etc.

• Options

Our next safari is in Southern Africa and our instructions from the company for that tour are to not wear red or white. I have known in the past friends who have been on safari who have been asked to change a red t shirt. But not with Tauck. We do generally just take khaki, light brown, green, beige on our trips. If you don’t generally wear these drab colors there are plenty of options to buy this type of clothing without spending a fortune and you can always leave it behind at the end of the tour. Just be sure to leave a note explaining you don’t want it.

• Options

PGH, I have a few pairs of travel pants that are light weight, can be hand washed and are either khaki color or light grey. they are one of my go to travel pants for safaris and basic travel. I also throw in some nice jeans and capris depending on the weather and time of year.
    The pants I have are made by Eddie Bauer and/or Exofficio.

• Options

PGH the Eddie Bauer pants mention by SueMS are excellent.

• Options

I can't offer any advice on safaris, but I can say that my husband and I have worn ExOfficio undergarments for years and they are great for traveling and/or anytime ...lightweight, stylish and very quick drying.

I envy your African adventures. I'm still trying to convince a friend to take the South Africa - An Elegant Adventure tour with me.

• Options

Silly question, but is light gray okay, or is that too close to black?

I've been looking through trip photos on the forum. In photos from colder times, lot the hot air balloon launch, I see many people with blue or black jackets. That makes sense to me as all of our house's down jackets and fleeces are blue and black. Are blue and black acceptable for colder outerwear or also problematic?

• Options

As I recall the tsetse flies were a problem mostly in the Serengeti in Tanzania. The balloon ride is in Kenya and I don’t remember being bothered by flies there. Light gray is fine. The flags they use to attract the flies near the Four Seasons are black and dark blue. A young man in our vehicle had his luggage lost and all he had to wear was a black sweatshirt … very handy for the rest of us. He acquired the nickname “fly”, as all the flies went to him.

• Options

That's good to know. We'll be on the Great Migration trip, so I'm trying to plan how to stay warm when in the mobile camp - and how color-cautious I need to be with my outer layers/jackets.

I have more gray options, so hearing that's an acceptable neutral is helpful