Options

Which tour of Africa?

HI, all you Africa tour travelers. After several years of debating on an Africa tour due to my wife's bad back, we have decided to do at least one and probably our only tour to Africa in 2024. I started looking at "An Elegant Adventure" and hoped to get feedback on this tour or recommendations for another if you could only do one Africa tour. Looking forward to some good thoughts and recommendations. Sandman

Comments

• Options

We decided to do the South Africa An Elegant Adventure for our first trip. We thought it gave a nice variety. There were the safaris, of course, plus Cape Town and Victoria Falls.
    Here is a link to our trip review.
    South Africa an Elegant Adventure Review

• Options
    edited July 2023

Our favorite with Tauck is the Botswana tour that included sleeping out in the open on the Kalahari Saltpan. Elegant South AFRICA might be a good one for you as there is less safari and it’s important I think to understand the culture and history. That tour has changed a lot, so sad they don’t take you to Robben Island any more. I would go several days early to explore Cape Town more. Personally I would not waste time going to vineyards over other sites. Vineyards are vineyards. We loved the Cape Grace hotel service and the free limo at our disposal.
    The Eastern Africa experience is very different to those in Southern Africa. .

• Options

What do you want to see? You can absorb the ‘culture’ of Africa from various sources. and the “Elegant Adventure” is popular. We have only done “Z, B, and SA”, and “Kenya and Tanzania: A Classic Safari”. Our interest is very much just seeing the animals. We have just decided that we are going to do “K&T” a fourth time next year. I cannot address the bad back issue. If a bumpy road cannot be tolerated, a safari might not be the right choice. If a seat cushion works, bring one and go for it.

• Options

Before our tour starts in Botswana, South Africa and Zambia, I am looking at making a reservation at the Elephant Cafe. Has anyone had this experience with the elephants? Is it spectacular?

• Options

Mil has.

• Options

Thank you Mil. Fabulous pictures too.

• Options

HI MIL; on which tour did you experience Elephant Cafe?

• Options

Question once again about The Elephant Cafe. Is there a better recommendation of arriving to the cafe by boat or by Jeep? Does it really make a difference? Also, Mil recommended a meal. Which is better, breakfast, lunch or high tea? Again, does that make a difference? Thanks.

• Options

Well your breakfast is included at the hotel. So that may make a decision easier

• Options

Thanks again. This is great info.

• Options

We booked the Sept 18 SA Elegant Adventure. Any thoughts on the best air flights from the US (South Florida) to Cape Town? Also, we took the Tauck free night in Cape Town at the start of the tour and added another night on our own. Ideas for how to take advantage of the two extra days in Cape Town? Thanks.

• Options

Sandman, I loved the tour of Robben Island which I did on my own because Tauck no longer includes it in their itinerary. I would also get a local guide to take me to Bo Kapp and the District Six Museum which is included in the Botswana, Zambia, South Africa trip but not in the Elegant trip. ,Have a wonderful time! Cape Town is spectacular.

• Options

yuk

• Options

In Cape Town, we were very pleased with the hop on hop off bus. At that time it had two different routes, so you needed to purchase the correct ticket. We hopped off at the Gardens (now included with Tauck sightseeing), at a beachside area where we had lunch and at a second beachside town where we walked the beach and enjoyed the beautiful views.

• Options

HI mil, what's the Yuk? Thought you liked this tour!

• Options

Upgrade at Cape Grace or not?

• Options

MotherOfPoodles, we didn't upgrade. We chose to add extra days. Trying to get a third pre-tour day confirmed.

• Options

I agree with Ladybombay re: Robben Island. We went independently-once you get to Robben Island there is a fantastic tour. You can purchase tickets online.

• Options

Ladybombay. I know Mil had problems with this tour. What about you?

• Options
    milmil
    edited July 2023

Sandman I have not gone on the elegant adventure. I did the Botswana, Zambia & Cape Town which I would highly recommend it’s Amazing, great itinerary.. don’t worry about the yuk!

• Options

Mil, that's a big relief!

• Options

Hi, Sandman!

We just did the Elegant Adventure tour this past fall. It was fantastic!! We absolutely loved it! Our tour director told us that South Africa has the best roads and the best vehicles, so if you are concerned about your wife’s back, I think that might be a good choice for you. Plus this tour incorporates a variety of activities so you aren’t on Safari as much as tours in other parts of Africa. My husband has back issues, too, and had no problem at all on this tour. We arrived two days early and visited Robben Island the day we arrived (definitely worth the trip!), then two private tours: a trip to the Winelands one day (gorgeous!) and a food tour the other (yummy!!), which gave us a taste (pun intended 😂) of various neighborhoods as well as local culture and history. We loved all of it! We used Pam from Cape Fusion Tours for the private tours and she was wonderful! Highly recommend her and her company. I can’t speak to the other Tauck tours in Africa, but we - and our friends who joined us - all had a phenomenal time on the South Africa: An Elegant Adventure tour, and I would definitely recommend it!

• Options

Thanks, Buonviaggio. I appreciate your taking the time to post. Your post is reassuring for me and my wife, as fear of back pain from the "bumps" was concerning after she had two fusion surgeries on her lower back. We intend to get a good back brace for whatever extra support it will provide her. I will research your suggestions for the pre-tour in Cape Town.

• Options
    edited July 2023

MotherOfPoodles

We are going September 2024 and took the regular room that has a view of the harbor. The upgrade is a view of the mountain. We love the ocean so it was a no brainer for us. Figured we can leave the room and look at the mountain!

• Options

What, you have to get an upgraded for this tour now!

• Options

British, not sure what you mean. From seeing tons of your posts, I didn't think you cared much about the hotel room you were given. ont

• Options

Hey British! I have never experienced any problems on a Tauck tour; they have all been fabulous. .Am looking forward to my next one with great trip anticipation as I know you probably are as well.

To bucketlist, Sandman and Mother of Poodles: I loved my room at the Cape Grace because it overlooked the marina AND Table Mountaiin. I believe it was an upgrade, and I found it to be worth the extra bucks because I always enjoy a quiet breakfast in my room before setting off on a busy day with other guests.

Safe and happy travels to everyone!

• Options

The original thread was, “Which tour of Africa?”. We just booked our fourth “K&T”. Which tour do you think we like? It’s all about the animals. We don’t care about wine tastings, and tea parties. We can get all the wine tastings and tea parties we want here in Marin, Napa, and Sonoma. If we are going to travel half way around the world, it’s about the animals. We did also like the Z,B, and S.A. trip, but we felt no need to visit the district six museum again.

• Options

There was no such thing as a room upgrade when we took the Elegant SA tour, but that was about fifteen years ago now. Back then, there were only two AFRICA tours to chose from with Tauck which were K and T and Elegant SA There sure are many more now!

• Options

Sealord - one day we hope to be able to book an African Safari with Tauck. I totally agree that it's about the animals (for us anyway). We can do wine and Museums anywhere here in America or also in Europe (& we have). Do you feel you saw the most animals on K&T? We are debating between K&T -VS- Z,B,&SA . . . Thank You.