Options

Which tour of Africa?

Comments

• Options
    • I liked Zambia and Botswana, but the S.A. part is touring … very liittle to do with animals. I’m sure some of the other Africa tours are animal intensive, But Z,B, and SA is a great tour but it is half touring and half safari. If you want a safari, K&T is a good bet.
  • Options

We did Z,B & SA eight years ago and K&T in 2019. I agree with Sealord. You will see a a lot more animals in the K&T tour. I hope you get Susan W!

• Options

Terrylynn Hi.
    The k&T it’s all about animals 100%.
    On B,Z,Cape Town , you also see animals but in specific areas… not everywhere as K&T.
    But B,Z,Cape it’s amazing too, offers everything it wraps up what Africa it’s all about, very complete.

• Options

Thanks MIL -- I wanted to send you a PM after your most recent trip to Africa, but you have your settings set to PRIVATE, so I couldn't send you a PM. I followed your trip and photos - esp loved the flight you posted over the Falls.

• Options
    edited July 2023

We have taken K and T twice, the second time to add on the Rwanda Gorilla trek, but our favorite of 6 safari vacations is the Botswana, Zambia and South Africa tour because of the unique chance to sleep out in the Kalahari, interact with Meerkats, and see wild dogs….you will not see either of these animals on the K and T. We even saw a Honey Badger on that tour too, which is extra rare. We are going to Botswana again in November. Oh and no visas to mess about with before you go there either. You do need one for Zambia, but that is dealt with when you cross the border.

• Options

Expectations. Just because you see it here, don’t necessarily expect to see it there. On our Z,B, and SA trip we did see wild dogs (luck of the draw) but we were not offered the sleep opportunity in the Kalahari. Table top mountain in Cape Town is sometimes fogged in. I think you can count on the meerkats. This is not a trip to the zoo. We have had close encounters with ‘wild’ lions, had a rogue elephant in one camp, and almost hit a hippo going full speed across the Okavango. On one trip we were very close to a lion and a Doctor and his daughter decided to climb out of the top of the safari vehicle for a better view. Our driver/guide went nuts. In very few words he explained how that lion could have taken them off the top of the vehicle before they even saw him coming. You never put anything out of the vehicle that you have become attached to.

• Options

terrilynn Hi, not sure why it's showing private I will say hello via message to you so you can respond. More than happy to help.

• Options

My ranking/preference of seeing the animals is slightly different than British's. Here's mine (based on a single tour - K&T Classic Safari):

1) Lions
    2) Elephants
    3) Rhinos
    4) All the rest, seeking wide diversity and there is plenty. I'd say you easily see in excess of 25 varieties of birds and animals, probably closer to 50.

• Options

Mine is :
    Elephants, Lions, Hippo and the rest.... always a welcome surprise as long as they are not - 2 legs Toxic hyenas. :):):)

Happy Monday.

• Options

beautiful pics, JeanP

• Options

What is most special to me is seeing the large animals in their natural environment; witnessing survival of the fitness (😢); seeing the animals interact with each other (or not). I was lucky being able to witness the Migration one afternoon on the K&T tour - an unexpected thrill. Another afternoon our guide offered an extra drive; only 4 of us went. We watched a pride of lions hiding in tall grasses while encircling wildebeests and zebras. The lions were quite savvy and strategic. We watched for several hours. I hope to return.

• Options

Beautifully stated, British

• Options

When I went on the Elegant SA tour in 2012 there was n such thing as a room upgrade either. We stayed at the Cape Grace hotel in Cape Town and the rooms were very nice.

• Options

We are going on Elegant Adventure in September 2024 and we were given the option to upgrade our room, which we did. Upgrades are limited and we decided to upgrade rather than opting for a small group tour (only an 8 person difference in size). Question—is arriving one day early in Cape Town sufficient or should we add one more day prior to the tour start?

• Options
    edited July 2023

LIONS!

• Options

Jan, add more days!

• Options

Jan, what British said!

• Options

We just returned from the Elegant South Africa tour in May. We went a few days earlier to enjoy Capetown. Because I had been there before (part of the Botswana, Zambia, Capetown tour) and my husband had not, I wanted him to see Capetown and I wanted to try to do some things that I missed before. We stayed at the Cape Grace Hotel, which was at the waterfront and was amazing (but it's being re-done now). So, it may be more difficult for you to get to the waterfront. In any case, we went to Robben Island and Tabletop Mountain. I had been to Tabletop Mountain on my own before (was not included in the Botswana trip), but was included in the South African Elegant Adventure. We were lucky we went, as it was closed during the time our Tauck tour would have gone. We also went to the Jewish History Museum and synagogue. Others have gone to the wine country. On the Botswana tour, we had a nice tour of Capetown with multiple stops as well as a visit ti to the District 6 museum. The city tour on the Elegant South Africa trip was really nothing (no stops), but they did include a nice visit to botanical gardens. I would suggest a nice city tour and a visit to the District 6 museum. Certainly worth it. Just my thoughts.

• Options
    edited July 2023

We did a walking tour of the downtown area. Very interesting and then the next day we did the hop on hop off bus. There are several routes and you can even transfer between them. We really enjoyed it. Stopped twice at beautiful beaches. One for lunch and another for a walk. Our tour with Tauck included Robben Island. It’s a great tour

• Options

We took the Emirates flight from Orlando to Cape Town a few years ago. Great airline and a great Business Class lounge in Dubai, but we had a long layover.

• Options

for the last 7 years, I only fly Emirates- Will not change it for any other. :)

• Options

mil, I followed your suggestion and contacted Emirates. I can fly out of Johannesburg with a layover in Dubai before we return to Miami. It's too early to book, but this looks like a great choice using Amex points. Does anyone have experience with Delta direct to Cape Town? They seem to be super expensive with points or dollars. Thanks for the lead to Emirates

• Options

janet_dzubow, Glad you enjoyed your tour. What time did they get you back to Johannesburg airport for departure? Trying to plan a flight out of Johannesburg at the end of the tour. Tauck recommends 3 hour lead time at the airport. Just not sure what time I can book a flight. Thanks

• Options

Sandman, Hi!
    Glad to hear I was able to help. Emirates it's excellent and you will have peace of mind, no strikes, no delays, great service and no fights on board, etc.
    Flying out of Johannesburg? So,the tour ends in Johan.?
    The layovers in Dubai are always short 2-3h. and with the Duty-free , it's super fun and the B.Lounge , Amazing!! go straight to the Moet & Chardon Bar... Heaven.
    I have to book my Namibia for 2024 early this Sept. 2023 for that one I do have on my way to.. 9h. layover Uff. but between the shops and also the lounge Spa + sleeping rooms I'll be fine. I'll take a book or do some media work.
    Okay, if you need anything else, I'm here. :)
    Have a great evening.

• Options

The flight from Victoria Falls left at 2 pm and arrived in Johannesburg at 3:35 pm. Then you have to collect your large suitcase (if you decide to do that-not a big deal) and then go through customs and immigration. They were strict at customs. I had bought a pair of salad tongs (not sharp) at the Elephant Camp and they took the fork part (dull edge) and left me with one round server. I had put some souvenirs in my carry on. Crazy.. I thought they would be ok in carry on, since Johannesburg airport can be sketchy with respect to airport theft. Our flight to Newark ( United) was at 8 pm (direct). No problem there. Our flight was delayed, but eventually took off. There is also a baggage check at the gate, so you need some time for that. Some who had connecting flights missed the connections.

• Options

Mil, thanks again. We intend to spend a few days in Dubai before we continue home. Emirates said they allow this "open jaw" on reward bookings, so we want to take advantage of the opportunity to visit Dubai. Have you spent any time there?

• Options

We did the two night stay in Dubai a couple years ago, on our return to the US. If it is during Ramadan, everything is deserted until sunset. We took a camel ride to the desert for dinner and they wouldn't start serving until sundown. That was well worth the stay over. During the day everything was closed up and deserted, but you still could walk around the big mall, small streets and did a tour of the sites. We stayed at a Marriot.

• Options

Sandman, Hi!
    Yes, Emirates allows open Jaw and also if you make a stop either way in Dubai, they don't add the airport tax to cost of ticket.
    If you need info on Dubai , IM me. I have been in Dubai 4 times, love it and also, I have friends living there now.
    Please!!!!!!!!!!! whatever you do, DO NOT MISS: THE MUSEUM OF THE FUTURE! It is AMAZING! and nothing like any other.

https://www.visitdubai.com/en/places-to-visit/museum-of-the-future

Also, do the teatime at the Burj Al Arab. It is a great experience, and you get to see the hotel inside.
    https://insideburjalarab.com/en

Have a lovely day.