Options

General Question Regarding Food and Drink NOT Included on the Grand Family Safari Tour

We have only been on one Tauck tour - the all inclusive Tauck Danube Family Bridges Tour. Having the included bar/snacks/food on the boat at the ready and all inclusive of the cost was simply amazing. That said, land tours do not operate the same way. I was informed that drinks/wine will be included in meals that are planned and organized by Tauck. But anything else - say a late night nightcap or the kids are famished and would like a snack - will be a cash purchase. For those that have done this tour or are recently taken it, do you know the average costs of drinks/snacks/foods at the hotels that Tauck has us staying at? Trying to plan/budget out our cash needed to bring with us. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options

I can't answer your question, dogdoctor, but I've never had to bring cash for snacks/meals/drinks at a Tauck hotel. I've always charged them to my room and paid by credit card. At the final stop of a tour, I'll often use my left-over cash to pay as much of the "incidentals" hotel bill as I can, and then just pay the remainder by credit card. (I'll keep euros or British pounds, in the expectation -- and hope -- that I'll be using them again.)

• Options
    edited November 2023

We are taking that tour next July. Any snacks/drinks you buy can be charged to the room. I’ve been to Tanzania three times, unfortunately all the hotels Tauck uses are now different and I don’t know what snacks will be available. We took a Bridges tour in the summer and our grandkids were handed snacks frequently on the bus. Obviously this can’t happen on safari. For us, late night snacks won’t happen because we will need to be in bed early for the very early, say, 5-30am calls for the early game drives.

• Options

I can't answer that question either, snacks and nightcap were available but I don't remember the prices, I just charged it to the room.

• Options

I’ve never been either. I don’t know if you will be in ‘hotels’ or ‘tents’. But, if you want to attract animals to your abode, ‘food’ is a good choice. On our first trip to Arusha we had an insect in our room that was the size of a good size rat. I opened the back door, and it was kind enough to leave.

• Options

Yes, SeaLord is correct, we were told on our first trip not to keep any food in the tents because of it attracting animals, but it’s never been mentioned since. For that reason we don’t have food like energy bars with us. In rooms or tents it’s essential to keep doors and windows closed and tents tightly zipped. Of course, the most dangerous critter is the mosquito. Here in Victoria Falls, that is taken very seriously. At turndown, the maid sprays the room and pulls the mosquito net around our bed. We are advised to open and close our door quickly, so nothing gets in.
    At one resort last week while we were eating lunch, a monkey jumped from nowhere’s onto a fully occupied nearby table, grabbed a handful of sugar packets and was up on the roof in a trice.

• Options

Pesky little devil

• Options

This morning, a monkey grabbed a muffin from the display and happily munched it in a tree. They are so quick.

• Options

We have had a monkey in our room. We keep the doors closed but as said they are very fast.

• Options

I didn’t zip up the ‘door’ fast enough — a monkey got in my room…but thankfully my screams scared him out!