Options

Pick up at MAD airport when coming in early for the trip

We are doing the Douro River Cruise + Madrid and Lisbon next year. We are arriving 7 days before the tour starts so we can have extra days in Madrid plus visit with friends. When I checked on my trip info in my account it would not let me select the day we get in for airport pickup. Is there a maximum number of days before the trip that they do this service? Any info is most appreciated.

Comments

• Options

Yes, there is a three day max rule I believe. You might want to call Tauck to find out. I think it also affects the insurance too.

• Options

I have added up to six days pre/post tour with no issue. I did have supplemental insurance, however. I suggest you call Tauck for clarification and/or updated policies.

• Options

A couple of questions - are you staying at the Tauck pretour hotel and did you book air with Tauck? Typically they will pick you up even if you book your own air though you have to inform them of flight info. A non Tauck lodging (especially if private address or Airbnb) starts getting tricky. Call Tauck, explain your plans and see what you can work ouf.

• Options

Hi Claudia. Yes, we are staying at the Tauck pretour hotel (Westin). We have booked our own air as we use our miles/points. I will definitely call Tauck to check with them.

• Options

Yes. I think you need to call Tauck. Seven days may be a bit of a stretch, but I don’t know the rules. The Madrid airport is one of my least favorite. Make sure to ask your air reps where to find your luggage. The place is a rabbit warren.

• Options

I have added seven days and had no problems at all. I agree with Sealord regarding Madrid airport. After our Morocco tour we stopped off for one night at the Hilton hotel at the airport and getting around this airport is far worse than Heathrow in my opinion.

• Options

We just completed this Douro tour, with the tour ending in Madrid on November 19, 2023. We stayed another ten days, in Toledo and at a non-Tauck hotel in Madrid. To our surprise, Tauck arranged and paid for our ride to the airport at the end of the trip.

• Options

RickS: Bravo, Tauck treated you really well. Perhaps they thought you were Rick Steves.

• Options

There appears to be no fast rule.

• Options

RickS - Please consider posting your thoughts of the Douro cruise. It was one of our favorites.

• Options

I just noticed this on the website about airport transfers

Complimentary transfers are included from your pre stay hotel to the start of your journey and from your post stay hotel to your disembarkation location.

Please Note: Transfers are included for Tauck-approved pre and post stay hotels. Non-Tauck hotels have to be approved prior to leaving on your tour.

• Options

why are your friends not picking you up? Also, it is a common thing to see taxis around the arrival terminals.
    Taxis in Europe.