Options

MS Savor

We are looking at a trip on the Savor and I am just wondering about the condition of the boat and what deck choice is best. Any comments about your experiences would be helpful! Thank you!

Comments

• Options

Given that the ship was renovated in 2020 you should feel very comfortable with the condition of the ship.

https://tauck.com/ships/ms-savor#overview

We were on the Savor in 2022 and enjoyed it immensely. I think you should pick the room based on the layout, sqft you want and what you can afford. I had the luxury of being placed in Cat 7, Diamond Deck (mostly because it was 4 of us - 2 adults and 2 kids). The rooms was amazing and would have been so much better minus the 2 kids (ie. simple based on space available with 4 people). I liked being on this deck as we were only a few steps up from the main dining room/entrance to the boat and we on the same floor as Arthurs (which also meant easy access to the roof deck). I know my in-laws and brother in law were on Ruby Deck in category 6 rooms. I know there was no complaints from them either. Good luck in your travel plans. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time regardless of deck/category. Good luck in your travel plans.

• Options

If price is no concern the Cat 7 rooms are great. In my view the best bang for the buck is the Cat 3 loft room.

• Options

I was in a loft cabin recently. It was fantastic! A great feeling of spaciousness. And a bargain! I did not have any difficulty sleeping. After all the touring and wine at dinner, I slept quite soundly.

• Options

I agree with dogdoctor that it mostly depends on your personal preferences and financial priorities. We usually opt for the Ruby Deck and have twice had Cat 6 cabins. I'm a very light sleeper. On the Inspire ( same type of ship as the Savor) we once chose one of the cabins at the very front of the Ruby Deck. Cabin was fine but noise from the lobby an issue a few times. Just completed a cruise in a Cat 1 and the noise as we were underway bothered me. If you aren't a light sleeper the loft is a great deal.

• Options

We love Cat 7 as it has plenty of room. A large bathroom with a walkin closet for clothes and shoes. Also, it has a nice size sofa, table and chair with large French windows and Arthur's Bistro is very close where they have cookies and snacks all day including drinks. It is worth the extra money in my opinion.

• Options

Selecting a cabin type is very much a personal choice. There is no best cabin in my opinion. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa. I agree with Noreen regarding the category seven (7) rooms' amenities. My husband has some mobility issues and needs to be able to maneuver freely through areas. Moreover, we frequently like to spend time in our cabin enjoying a glass of wine instead of always being in the lounge. It affords us the opportunity to relax and reflect on what we had experienced that day.

• Options

Agree with what everyone above says. While we love river cruising with Tauck (we have been on 3 other lines and Tauck is our favorite), we can not afford the higher category rooms - we'd rather spend our money on staying longer in Europe Pre and Post Cruise - and to be honest, we only sleep, shower, and change clothes in the rooms. Any time we have is either spent in town or in the lounge or up on deck. We used to always get the Cat 1 rooms, but the past 2 cruises we went on and the cruise we just booked for 2025, we did book the Cat 3 Loft Cabins which are perfect for us. In April, we are doing the Swiss Alps Cruise and we booked Cat 1 just to save money since we have a few trips booked for 2024. We are just grateful to be able to travel with Tauck, so the room isn't so important to us. Go with what works for your budget - you really can't go wrong - your experience in Europe will be amazing. And, we've been on many of the Tauck boats, all of them are wonderful.

• Options
    edited December 2023

@Juju262

We were on the beautiful ms Savor last week for the Christmas Markets Along the Danube cruise, Dec 6-13. The ship was festively decorated for Christmas. It's a lovely ship, and we were very comfortable in our stateroom, 218. We didn't hear any excessive noise, only what would be normal when going through locks, and that is minimal.

One particular feature I especially liked, the bathroom has a large, lighted medicine cabinet with several mirrors, above the sink. They open wide and are lighted inside, as well. Inside, there is a small magnifying mirror, that was only somewhat helpful because of where it was positioned.

This was my first time onboard a Tauck river cruise ship. I have sailed 5 times on another river cruise line. The ms Savor Tauck ship is very comparable to what I am accustomed to.

My least favorite comment pertains to the layout/configuration of the Tauck lounge. The location of the bar and the big round seating area blocks the view of the front of the ship. During meetings, the people sitting back behind the bar by the windows, could not hear the speaker. Having conversations in the crowded lounge at night was challenging because the sound level was very loud. I noted that on the survey.

Overall, the ms Savor is an excellent ship and if you choose to sail on her, I think you will have a wonderful experience.

• Options

Thanks for the pictures. We are sailing on the Savor in July. It is the only Rhine Enchantment tour that uses the Savor.

• Options

Good review and pictures. Category 6 cabin - my personal favorite.

One of your shots showed something I forgot to mention in my recent review of our Christmas cruise - the changed stainless steel water bottled. The new ones are smaller, lighter and have a carabiner clip. More practical if you actually want to use it for sightseeing.

• Options

While water bottles are being mentioned. Tauck still asks us to take water bottles on their lists, we take them and then find Tauck supplies the stainless steel ones. Then they provide plastic bottles of water, so we use those instead. So this really isn’t saving the planet , I could open up my own steel plant with all the reuseable bottles we have…well those we haven’t thrown in the recycle trash.

• Options

I was surprised that we did not get water bottles on one of our recent Tauck adventures. They just used the plastic bottled water. We have quite a collection of water bottles, but we ‘re-cycle’ them by forgetting them in the gym.

• Options

I can’t even begin to tell you how many water bottles I’ve misplaced or lost (including at the gym). I feel like putting an AirTag on them.

• Options

We've only gotten reusable water bottles on the river cruises.

• Options
    edited December 2023

We do mostly river boats and small ships where we have gotten bottles most of the time. We have gotten bottles on all of our Africa tours. On our Z,B,&SA trip we got two bottles each.