Options

Things to do in Edinburgh

I will be traveling with my 16 year old granddaughter on the June 23 trip. Any recommendations for things to do in Edinburgh for our free day ahead of the tour start

Comments

• Options
    edited March 23

Climb Caxton Hill or Arthur's Seat, Tour the Real Mary King's Close, the Botanic Garden and Royal Yacht Britannia. Walking Princes Street gardens is relaxing.

• Options

It really depends on your interests. There are several good museums including the National museum of Scotland and art museums. You can stroll the Royal Mile for sights and shopping. There are Harry Potter sights if she likes that. There is the Royal Yacht Britannia a short tram ride away which also has a nice cafe. Loads to do.

• Options
    edited March 23

Visit the HMY Britannia. See Craigmillar Castle (take the bus) then continue on the bus to Rosslyn Chapel. We did it easily and inexpensively by riding the excellent Lothian bus service. If your tour walks the Royal Mile after visiting Edinburgh Castle you can also easily visit the National Museum of Scotland afterwards. For our tour years ago it was on the way from the end of the Royal Mile to the Sheraton on Lothian Road across from Usher Hall, where our tour stayed and I believe yours does also. Tauck rooms didn't have a castle view at the time, so we arranged with the concierge to pay a little extra for the upgrade to get a view of the back side of Edinburgh Castle.

HMY Britannia

View from our room of the back side of Edinburgh Castle with Usher Hall in the foreground:

Craigmillar Castle (significant tie-ins with Mary Queen of Scots). We first learned about it from Amazing Race. It is located in a rustic park near the Royal Infirmary (hospital). We approached from the far side near the bus stop. Very interesting reveal!

Rosslyn Chapel- tie-in with Knights Templar and a story element and filming location for Dan Browns Davinci Code

We had a nice little lunch at the cafe there.

• Options

The National Museum is really eclectic and fun. If memory serves me, I believe it’s free. Hollyrood is also a great way to spend a few hours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file