Options

itinerary Sheets Essence of Japan March 2024

Comments

• Options

Essence of Japan was amazing! The Cherry blossoms were spectacular!
    Here are my tips for your trip:
    1. The QR code has changed from 2 codes to 1 - even some of the staff at the airport is still confused, but there is just one code. Print it, you will be glad.
    2. I took $300 USD worth of yen with me - it was too much, most took Credit cards but taxis I was glad I had yen. And some small shops
    3. We used our rain coats and umbrellas on two days extensively - glad I had them
    4. Fun Fact! The reason Kit Kats are such a thing in Japan is that in Japanese Kitto Katsutoo means YOU SHALL SURELY WIN! They give Kit-kats to kids before tests as a good luck gift! I brought home peach, strawberry and sake flavors!
    5. All the hotels were great except the Gero Onsen - I had a rough time getting off the floor to use the washroom at night and I didn't like the food there. The rest of the hotels are great. I especially love the Japanese toilets. I want one! Have a great trip!

• Options

Thank you so much! Very helpful.

• Options

If you have trouble getting up off the floor, at the Onsen, you can request an American style room. There are a loimited number, so you still may not get it, depending on the choice of others in the group.

• Options

Thank you so much for posting travel sheets - a lot of great information.
    We are leaving April 23 and I have a few questions.
    What do you wear to take a bath at Gero Onsen? Do you need a bathing suit?
    Where did you change dollars into yen?
    Is there time in Kyoto to book a 1/2 day excursion to Nara? Has anyone in your group done it?

• Options

Onsets are always naked bathing. Single sex. I really enjoyed them when I was in Japan last year. There is a certain etiquette you must observe.

• Options

I did not see any mention of a sumo demonstration on the itinerary. Has that been removed?

• Options

They don't allow swimsuits in the Onsens at Hakone or Gero - separate men's and women's areas. It was nice, you should go. I never changed dollars to yen, I took too many yen. I don't know of anyone who booked an excursion in Kyoto but the last day there was time in the afternoon. The Sumo demo was at the welcome dinner - it was great!

I posted the itinerary sheets because that is always what I wish others would do - its so helpful for planning.

Also, we flew into and out of Tokyo, taking the Shinkansen back from Kyoto before our flight. It worked great - the Japanese train system is very efficient!

• Options

Brought back wonderful memories! I went last year on March 24 and had fabulous time. Is your TD Nicole or Larry? They were wonderful.

Truly amazing trip.

The onsen and the castle are new this year. Last year we went to a different castle and stayed at a different onsen. I had the same problem, the futon arrangement was very uncomfortable and the washroom was difficult to get to, involving one step.

• Options

Our TD was Nicole - she is AMAZING, sweet, and wonderful! I am hoping to have her as my TD again in Europe!

• Options

This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing!

• Options

We were on this tour last year at this time and had Larry as our TD. The cherry blossoms were very early last year, but we saw some beautiful ones in Kyoto and Hakone. You were fortunate to be at this years peak.

• Options

Thank you so very much. We are on the May 9 small group. I was wondering just how was I going to manage our 2 nights away without luggage. Feel more reassured that it is doable. Loved seeing the daily schedules.
    Hope we will enjoy our trip as much as you did.🌸👍

• Options

At Gero Onsen, did you have a room with or without a bathtub?

• Options
    edited April 14

If it is like all the Onsens I went to in Japan, or rather, the Ryokan Onsens, there is not even a toilet in your room, you use shared facilities which includes remembering to put the ‘toilet slippers’ on when you enter the area. If you want to experience Japan authentically, this is what you do. The Japanese hotel Onsens may have regular bathrooms. We loved our entire time in Japan.
    The Onsen bathing areas are separated for men and women. There is usually an attendant who supervises the area where you remove your clothing and either put it in the locker or personal basket. You put on a bath robe, but once you enter the bathing area, you must remove it. A very very small modesty towel is provided which you can chose to cover part of your body. You go into the bathing area, sit down on a low stool in front of a low removable hand held shower head. You wash yourself down with the provided soap, rinse off and then go into the communal bath. You must not put your head under water or put your little towel in the water, you can fold that and put it on your head while you luxuriate in the warm water. You dry off with the small towel. There are lotions and potions and hairbrushes and hairdryers to use when you get back into the changing area. I just loved the whole experience.
    If you are the shy type, you can go down extra early in the morning and you may be the only one there.

• Options

I found a link which just about describes exactly as I have done

https://www.kashiwaya.org/e/magazine/onsen/rules2.html

• Options

No toilet in a hotel room! Communal toilet! You must be kidding me. I don't think Tauck is budget touring. Please tell me the name of the tour company to avoid. I think the only time the tauck tour used the communal toilet was at the highway stops. Yike!!!

Rest assured, there is a private bathroom per guest at Tobira Onsen last year. It is a bathtub/shower combination. According to the hotel management, the same water that fills into the onsen is the same water that feeds into the guest rooms.

Please do not go extra early in the morning. One male Tauck guest went the first minute in the morning while the attendant must be napping or taking a break, A woman not speaking a word of English walked in in her birthday suit at the Hyatt Hakone men's onsen. The male Tauck guest was so concerned that he did not want to get upright to confront her. Security ended up getting called! Remember the attendant is not glued to the onsen every minute 24/7.

• Options

The check in suitcase goes with the bus. The carry on goes with you on the train.

If you are not a weightlifter, pack the carry on light so you can go up and down stairs at the train station or ask the TD so you can use the elevator.

One person took a long time to pull out her heavy carry on from the overhead compartment, she left her purse on the seat since she had to run out before the door closed. Nicole and Larry ended up having to retrieve the purse for her the next day.Luckily, the Japanese are honest people. Nothing was missing from her purse.

Our TD told us to get ready before the train reached the station stop. The stronger and fitter were at the back after we split into two groups to make sure every one get out before the doors shut.

The bullet train can get very full and it is not Tauck exclusive, meaning the tourists from other countries and the Japanese also can have a lot of luggages.

• Options
    edited April 15

Henrypoon. We had a fantastic time in Japan. Having been to Japan three times now since the 1990’s, we wanted to have a much more authentic experience than Tauck gives and see a lot more of the country, including Mount Koya when we stayed in an inn which was in a Temple with monks, we experienced meditation with them and a fire service/ceremony. We also went to see the famous snow monkeys. The Ryokans are gorgeous, the natural stone onsens with wonderful views of the forest as you bathe are serene and peaceful.We’ve stayed in fancy hotels in Japan in the past including one where we had the huge presidential suite and we’ve stayed with friends in their Japanese home.
    Another thing about Onsens is that the male and female areas get swapped around daily. It is posted to make it clear, so maybe it was the guy who was in the wrong one!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file