Sports Coat

We're scheduled for the Blue Danube cruise this summer. Is a sports coat necessary?

Comments

• Every Tauck tour has a packing list. Go to the page on Tauck's website for your tour. Scroll down and you'll find it along with a wealth of other info like weather, suggested reading, etc. It will also be in your tour documents that Tauck emails to you. It will say whether a coat and/or tie are optional.

• This is taken from the Blue Danube Cruise page

Your journey is designed with leisure in mind. Dress for comfort and convenience with a wardrobe that is flexible and allows for layering. Casual, cotton clothing is always advisable. A light jacket or sweater for the sun deck is also recommended. Pack comfortable yet sturdy walking shoes that have already been broken-in, as many of the sites visited were built centuries ago and have uneven surfaces, some steep inclines and many steps.

During evenings aboard the riverboat, dress is resort casual. Items such as slacks and collared shirts are appropriate for men. For women, slacks, a dress or a skirt and blouse are suitable. For dinner and throughout the evening, guests should refrain from wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops or sneakers. Your journey also includes one or two special occasion dinners, where a sport coat and tie for gentlemen and a dress/pantsuit for ladies are suggested. (Your Tauck Director will advise you prior to those evenings.)

Bathrobes, slippers and hairdryers are provided in each guest room at the hotel(s) and in each cabin on board the riverboat.

Valet laundry service is available at the hotel(s) and on the riverboat for a fee. There is no valet dry cleaning available on the riverboat. Ironing facilities on the riverboat are available by request to the front desk. Category 7 cabins feature their own irons and ironing boards.

My only comments here is, I’ve never packed anything on a tour that requires ironing!

• We did this cruise last June-July. During Our special meal in the palace in Praque many men had a jacket only to remove them to the back of the chair. It was warm and the cruise director said to be comfortable.

• SeaLord. I can’t believe you don’t know about non iron clothing For example, I have non iron linen shirts. My husband has a fantastic wool blend white tuxedo jacket that you can put in the washing machine, just a couple of examples. I learned about fabrics back in High school. The first thing I do when choosing clothing is to see what it is made of. I can ‘feel’ how a fabric will perform. A tip I have is when you see something you like on the rack, gently squeeze a piece of the garment in the palm of your hand, if it is a creased up ball, don’t buy it! For packing for tours, everything is rolled, simple!
    Even our Africa clothing is none-iron. These past two years, I’ve been making costume for theatre, I think I know my fabrics and sensible clothing for tours.

• Not going to get in a clothes ‘discussion’ with a clothes expert. You win. (;-)

• What's an iron? :)

• The jacket looks marvelous.

• One can never go wrong with winter white and black for men and women. Timeless and classy.