Never have been to France, need your input on excursions choices.

I'm excited about the tour in April 2025 and, since I haven't toured France before, I'm narrowing down my excursion options. The itinerary includes a visit to either Versailles or Montmartre. Could you provide insights on both choices? Thank you!

Comments

• It depends on your interests. I visited Versailles independently decades ago. Although significant from a historical perspective, I found it to be too garish for my tastes. I did enjoy the gardens, however.

I have been to Montmartre several times and keep returning because I like it so much. It was this tour in April 2023 when I took the Montmartre excursion with just seven (7) other guests. Tauck put us on a tram/trolley which worked its way up and up to the highest point in Paris—Montmartre. The views of the city are unparalleled. There is a Basilica, many shops, cafés and artisans at work. It is a lovely place to stroll.

It's a great tour. I doubt you will be disappointed no matter which excursion you select.

• edited October 19

For me, hands down Versailles. Obviously the main chateau but also to see the sheer enormity of the place (2,000 acres). You won't see everything but from the itinerary you'll see a lot. Some day you might want to go back and see the rest. Amazing place.

I'd recommend, if you can afford it, to add days in London and/or Paris because there is so much to see in both cities.

If you don't do the Monmartre excursion but want a good view of Paris, the roof top terrace of the shopping center Galleries Lafayette is an excellent alternative. Its free, you take it to the top via escalators, has a fairly good restaurant and some decent souvenir shopping. Plus all the other shops and dining options. Its very close to the Opera House. Another good tour.

• edited October 19

Years ago when we went to Monmatre, I remember it seemed like a really seedy area, gypsies trying to tie string round our fingers was one thing we encountered. Definitely for me would be Versailles, I love the old French style opulence and colors. I’d go back there in a heartbeat, plus, we went in winter so it was not busy at all.

• We were in France in August Sept 2024. On our free day we were torn whether or not to visit Versailles or Monmartre. We chose Montmartre. I am very happy with our choice. We did not find it to be "seedy" in the least bit. We visited the church, we rode the train, we had a very lovely lunch.

Research and pick the thing that interest you the most.

• Those mussels!

I have never seen a "seedy" Montmartre either. To the contrary, it was clean, inviting and the local shopkeepers and artisans were friendly.

• We went to Montmartre in 2017 as part of this cruise. The area where we got on the little tram had a couple of sex shops. With any luck they are closed. Up by the cathedral we had a good lunch (croque monsieur) and walked around a bit. There were numerous street artists who followed us trying to get us to have a picture done. One wouldn't leave us alone and I told him I wouldn't buy anything. He insisted on doing it anyway. Was awful but he laid on a big guilt trip so my husband paid him. The picture got left in our cabin trash. Very annoying and a waste of time. I'm glad if others had better experiences.

• We were there this august September. Paris was immaculate because of the Olympics. Perhaps that is the reason we did not encounter any people following us or hounding us in any way. However, my friend who had also visited last year on a tauck trip and was on this trip with us....did not say anything was any different than last year. She is the one who recommended we go to Monmontre. So perhaps they have "cleaned things up" in the past few years.

I have absolutely no criticism of the Monmontre area...other than walking all the hills in the heat...was not easy lol.

• edited October 20

Perhaps the incident with the unruly artists occurred outside the confines of the town's center—maybe by the Basilica where many people congregate. I say this only because the Montmartre street artists are highly regulated and are even licensed by the city of Paris. It also takes years (according to the local guide who lived in Montmartre) to be given a coveted spot. I just don't think a legitimate artist would give up her/his livelihood after working so hard to establish a footing in the area.

Regardless, I shall continue to visit this treasure of a spot when I return to Paris. And I'm having those mussels next time!

Edited 10/20 to correct a typographical error.

• kfnknfzk...I have to admit...they were SOOOOO good! and the service at the restaurant was simply AMAZING.

• Cathy, that pretty much looks like the restaurant we ate at. We did enjoy our lunch.

We were near the basilica with several artists trying to get people to engage with them. No idea what constitutes the "town center" so I have no idea about that. It was a crowded, hot summer day.

I'm not sure how good our local guide was either since we didn't have a lot of knowledge beyond it being an area where lots of famous artists worked and the basilica. Maybe a better guide would have pointed us to some areas to visit in more detail after his time with us.

If they've cleaned things up that's great.

• The five of us went on our own. It was indeed crowded but no one approached us in any way. We walked around for hours. Like I said earlier...Sue had been there last year so we depended on her to "guide" us. She couldn't remember how to get to Moulin de la Galette so It took us a while to find it. Then we had to walk back up that big hill and it was in the 90's. After we got back up the hill, we went to lunch.
    Overall, I really was happy with the day. A couple of the ladies in our group enjoyed shopping...and there were certainly LOTS of places to shop.
    Our tour started that evening and we had dinner at Fouquet's. So it was a full day.

• cathyandsteve - No wonder why Steve is grinning being surrounded by the women! I passed that restaurant but didn't stop because our excursion started immediately after breakfast. I did stop at a small café and had a latte after being given free time. Great people watching! I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip.

• Yes, it must be way more cleaned up then when we were there which I think was 11 years ago, my only time in Paris, I much prefer rural areas of France and the local foods and markets.

• edited October 20

British...I ALWAYS enjoy the rural areas more. However, Travel does include big cities so I think it is also important to experience them as well. After 4 days in Paris...I was very ready to get on the ship and tour the different areas of France.

I am confident that the timing of our visit was very good. We arrived between the Olympics and the Paralympics...so everything was pristine. Paris did a great job! The only downfall was many roads were blocked off making travel a bit difficult....but Tauck warned us a head of time and it was all good.

kfnknfzk...My husband was a "saint". He had to put up with 4 women...for over 2 weeks...lol

• Indeed. (;-)

• Been both places at least twice. For me, Versailles easily wins.

Montmartre - This area survives on the view (which is admittedly spectacular) and the history, but today it is mostly a tourist area. While in the 19th Century it was a center for artists, those days are long past. Today it's filled with tourist restaurants and "sketch your portrait" street artists. The artists can't afford to live there, they just come to hustle the tourists. The seedier parts are near the Place Pigalle, a square near the bottom of the hill. It was once Paris's red-light district (that's why the Moulin Rouge is near there). Today, it is a nightlife district, aimed mostly at tourists - cabarets, nightclubs, and the occasional sex shop. I'm not sure if the ladies still ply their trade in the evenings.

Versailles - The seat of power for Kings Louis XIV through Louis XVI, it is one of the largest and grandest palaces ever built - think Buckingham palace on steroids. Lots of history here, including the incredible Hall of Mirrors where the treaty was signed ending World War I. In addition to the palace, there are extensive gardens and several important outbuildings, like the Petit Trianon. I particularly enjoyed the Hameau de la Reine, Queen Antoinette's pretend peasant village. She and her court used to dress up as milkmaids and play at being peasants here. With a good guide, Versailles is one of the premier sights of greater Paris. In my book, it's a must see. The Wikipedia article will give you a good idea of what you'll see here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file