Options

Flight Arrangements

2»

Comments

• Options
    British wrote:
    For a while now, especially long haul vacations, we use them, they will book ANY flight for you.

British, is that on ANY airline or just on Skyteam members- Delta, KLM, AF, Kenyan, etc, and a few independents.
  • Options
    Any flight
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    British wrote:
    Any flight

British, thanks. Since this level of detail is all new to me, please confirm that you are saying:

1. I can request and Tauck will book flights on Ethiopian Airlines for my Tauck K&T Safari, just like any travel agency?

And

2. This booking will be just like any Tauck arranged flight- I don't need to pay until 60 days before departure and if I have elected the Tauck Guest Protection plan, it will provide me with the same cancellation coverage as it would for other Tauck arranged flights?

Thanks.

We catch a flight tomorrow morning for Hartford, Conn and Tauck's Hidden Gems of New England. : )
  • Options
    Yes, that's what we do, pick our own flights and book them thru Tauck, pay for them 60 days before the trip, and always use Tauck trip protection. It took us a couple of trips before we realized that you could do this, the crunch being our first trip to Africa in 2007 on the K and T tour when we used their flights and had us going from Philly to Detroit and then Detroit Amsterdam, which was an absolute pain. We just did not even bother to look at other options at the time and assumed it was the only way to do it. This past trip to Tanzania we flew straight to Amsterdam and saved hours of travel. We chose the flights and they booked them. The price you pay will be whatever the price is on the day, basically what you will also see on line if you book yourself. I know you tend to use air miles a lot but maybe you can make use of those on other trips, and of course you will accrue air miles on the Tauck booked flights.
  • Options
    I've noted before that we took Turkish Air and were very happy with the flights and service. It sounds like Ethiopian may be an equally satisfactory option, perhaps even better because the arrival and departure times sound much more convenient. Our flight arrived at Kilimanjaro at 1 AM. There was a Tauck representative there to meet us just as promised and our flight departed from Nairobi at 2:10 AM. Tauck had the dayroom for us, but that was only till 6 PM. There were four of us, so we sat in the hotel lobby till about 10:30 when the driver came to get us and take us to the airport. We had heard horror stories about Nairobi airport, but to our surprise it really wasn't that bad. We were flying business, so we went to the lounge which was very basic, and the women actually did some shopping in the duty free shops which surprisingly were open at 1 AM. Kind of more on the level of a small town bus station than a major international airport, but we were never uncomfortable.

As far as the Tauck recommendation that departing flights leave after 7 PM, we arrived at the small domestic airport (I think it's called Winston) at about 11 AM from Maasai Mara. There was one couple that had a flight leaving from NBO at about 2:30 so Stacie, our tour director had arranged for them to be immediately transported to NBO from our arriving airport. Other people had a flight at about 5 PM so I think went to the hotel, had lunch and then were transported after lunch. Most of the group, traveling on the Tauck KLM flight left at about 6 PM. So individual accomodations were generally taken in stride and didn't seem to cause much of a problem or stress.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    British, Merlin, Vicky, ndvb, Bill, et al,

You guys are great!!!!! It's a no-brainier, find my own flight then arrange them through Tauck.

Just chillin' here at RDU waiting for our flight to Hartford for the start of "Hidden Gems of New England". : ) It doesn't get any better than this!
  • Options
    AlanS - Booked the ET flight about 3 months prior to our trip. Called their office in DC and got seats assigned for 777-200LR in both directions. Didn't know return aircraft was changed to 787 until check-in at Nairobi. New seats had already been assigned, row 2 in the center. Agree 2-2-2 layout is much better than the 2-3-2 in a 777. Business on the way over was almost full (maybe 2 empty seats) but on the way back it was only 2/3 full. We killed time at Bole in the Business Class (Cloud Nine) Lounge and looked through some of the shops. In Nairobi ET uses the Kenya Air lounge for business class passengers. ADD to JRO and NBO to ADD are both 737 but only 2-1/2 hour flights and business class is plenty comfortable. By the way, contrary to the experience of some others we had our temperatures taken on arrival at JRO and vaccination records were checked. Temps were taken again on arrival at ADD from NBO.
  • Options
    Bill, Thanks again so much!!!

I think I'll give Tauck a call at the end of October, when we will be within the 330 day window for both our June K&T Safari and our September Ireland tour, and have them book both sets of flights.

Your aircraft change may have been made at the last minute due to aircraft availability. I wonder if there is any easy way a customer can find out if ET has made a change to the aircraft or seating, or have seating preference on file for such a case? Given the choice we would opt for either left or right outside pair of seats (isle + window) on the 777-2/300 and center two seats on the 787-8.
  • Options
    Airlines can change planes for any number of reasons. Even when we have been given assigned seats in the past they have been changed.
    We do not very often use business class. Last year we were coming back from somewhere and we were upgraded to business class---I get excited about things like that. Our first plane was delayed, so we ran like crazy to the next gate and boohoo, they had changed the plane to a smaller one because the number of passengers were nowhere near capacity, so less business class seats, and we ended up not even sitting anywhere near each other on the flight. I was so disappointed but so glad to get on the flight and arrive safely to our home airport.
    We are finding a good compromise for our price-points is Premium Economy, or Economy Comfort, different names on different airlines, more leg room, better service, food the same as Business class. Great for traveling to places like Australia and much cheaper.
    Alan, why not book your K and T flight now, you wont pay anything until 60 days before, unless you can explain the mysteries of when prices are best, I tend to leave those type of things to his Lordship, who is away so much at the moment I am beginning to forget what he looks like, but then he is earning the bacon so I can't complain.
  • Options
    Bill, I think you were on the K&T tour that just preceded ours, Sept. 10th? We were the Sept. 13th tour. We may have even seen each other since we met a number of members of the preceding tour at the airport when we were arriving at Masai Mara and they were leaving.

I can't understand why you had your temps taken and had your vaccination cards checked since we didn't see anything like that. The only things I can think of was the time of day you arrived and your origination country. Perhaps, because of our very late arrival (1:10 AM) the people who check had already gone home. They may not have around the clock staff. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps arriving from another African country you were more suspect, whereas our arrival was from Istanbul. Seems funny that you were so scrutinized and we were ignored.
  • Options
    A number of people throughout the summer on this forum report having been randomly checked wherever they have come from or been
  • Options
    British wrote:
    Alan, why not book your K and T flight now, you wont pay anything until 60 days before, unless you can explain the mysteries of when prices are best, I tend to leave those type of things to his Lordship, who is away so much at the moment I am beginning to forget what he looks like, but then he is earning the bacon so I can't complain.

No particular rationale other than to kill two birds with one stone. Fares for our Ireland trip next fall should be released in a few weeks which is still plenty of lead time to ensure we get flights for our K&T Safari in June.

• Options
    British wrote:
    A number of people throughout the summer on this forum report having been randomly checked wherever they have come from or been

OK ... a little off topic, but what is a Tauck "Traveler", and what is a Tauck "Explorer" on this forum?
  • Options
    Sealord wrote:
    OK ... a little off topic, but what is a Tauck "Traveler", and what is a Tauck "Explorer" on this forum?

Your "rank" based on number of posts. Not sure what the brackets are.
  • Options
    BillWest66 wrote:
    Tauck confirmed that the 1735 is doable so we are booked on the same flights as you in September. Interestingly I had no problem at all with Ethiopian Airlines customer service getting seats assigned on the phone. They were immediately assigned and I received e-mail confirmation within minutes. I'll watch for your update on how your flights go.

Since I started this thread some months ago, I decided to add to what Bill posted.

If you read my posts in this thread, you know I agonized over these flight arrangements quite a bit. Today I made the same ones as Bill- Dulles-Addis-Kilimangaro Nairobi-Addis (Rome)-Dulles- Business Class on Ethiopian Airlines for our flight to/from Africa next June. I did it all online and everything, including payment and seat selection, went extremely smoothly. Confirmation documents and itinerary arrived quickly via email. I hope the flights are just as trouble free.

If you are interested, here are my reasons for choosing ET over Tauck's and other options:

1. First, ET was several thousand dollars cheaper.

2. Flight and layover times in both directions were less than other options. Layovers are at end of the flight over and beginning of return flight- no mid-route layovers (no Amsterdam) to interrupt sleep, except possibly the short, 1 hour stop for gas in Rome where you don't de-plane.

3. The flight from Addis arrives in Arusha midday (12:55 PM), not late at night! We should get to the Lake Duluti hotel by mid-afternoon.

4. We depart Nairobi at 5:35 PM, not late at night or past midnight like some flights. The on-tour flight from the Mara arrives in Nairobi around noon, so there is plenty of time for lunch, a little freshening up, repacking, etc. at the hotel before departing for the airport at 2:00 PM which should leave plenty of time to get to the airport and check in.

5. Unless I misread the documents (I can't find the specific document now), depending on when you cancel, there is a minimal penalty for changing or cancelling.

6. At today's interest rates, it really made little difference when I paid- now or 60 days prior to departure.

7. Baggage allowance (for business class) is liberal (better than some carriers?)- first 2 pieces @ 50 lb. ea. per person are free - great if you plan to take a large number of school supplies or bring back a large number of souvenirs. The allowance for handbags in business class is 2 pieces ea. up 17 lbs ea. per person. As expected, there are l,w,h size restrictions.

• Options
    Glad to hear you have booked flights Alan.
    More General information for others reading this thread. If Tauck books any flights for you and there is any kind of incident like a workers strike that occurred in Europe this year, they will be able to help you rebook your flight. If you book it yourself they will legally not be able to change or book your flight for you. This came up in conversation with a TAUCK agent during the Luftansa strike, the agents were busy getting everyone on the affected tours rebooked, while their customers could relax and enjoy the tour without having to spend on tour time re-arranging their return flights.
  • Options
    AlanS, sounds like you made the right choice. Ethiopian Airlines flights were very comfortable and the service was great. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Travel safely.
  • Options
    AlanS - Your reasoning regarding ET is exactly the same as mine. Change of aircraft to a 787 on our return from Addis was an unexpected bonus for us. BTW, we were at the Lake Dulati Hotel before 3 pm while the arrivals through Amsterdam didn't get in until about 10pm that evening. Safe travels!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file